PK3 format question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PK3 format question

If i make a .pk3 file myself is it like this? -> Make a zip file, no compression. Right?

pk3 can be compressed zip file as well, but it would be better to choose lower compression level for the sake of load map speed.
    -
    jakub
    Last edited by jakub1; 12-13-2010, 04:35 AM.
    my projects so far:

Travail retextured ___/___ Knave HD textures
    Tronyn in high definiton ___/___Abyss of Pandemonium HD textures
    Nehahra rtlights and other experiments

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

Comment

depends on the engine. not all support compression, but I think nearly all do.

don't bother compressing pngs, by the way (use tgas instead)... and compressed jpegs is a bit pointless too, either way not a problem.
        Some Game Thing

Comment

Q3A supports compression so for correct compatibility they all should, but otherwise you're about right - make a zip and rename it.

Also note what Spike said about PNGs - definitely not a good idea, unless you're a fan of really really long loading times.
          IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

note that with zips you can compress some files, and not others, and q3 does this for its roq(cinematic/video) files.
            Some Game Thing

Comment

this is all very interesting to me, Ive learnt some new things today.

like how much time i've been wasting zipping pngs! lol

Comment

Yeah, just make a .zip and rename it. Alternatively, you could use PakScape to do it (as well as handle .pak files).
                e|------------------------0---------------
                B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                A|---------------0------------------------
                E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Now i found out why Rygels Ultra Pack is no valid pk3 file. Because it looks like the file format is limited to 2GB. I splited it up in 2 parts (making 2 pk3's) and then it works great (but unplayable on my rig <20 fps).

Also i noticed if the files (pretty water, new lava...) are in an .PAK file and not in a .pk3 file darkplaces will load them faster and in my opinion the game runs smoother and with slightly more fps. Could this be possible?

Comment

Load faster? Maybe, since it's not in compressed .pk3 format. I don't think you're going to see a benefit as far as FPS is concerned.

Comment

Maybe it's just my opinion but since i changed anything to. PAK format

it feels like the game runs smoother. And i don't have those extreme FPS drops anymore when (for example) a Ogre fires a rocket directly in your face. All optional stuff i have paked in the PAK5 like new lava, pretty water, effectinfo.txt, CD tracks and so on.

Comment

Thank you for your investigations grave_digga.

If you are right, it is a good solution for people with FPS problems.

We should never say no.
                        Even if something sounds dubious and hard to believe, or makes theoretically no sense,
                        you should give it a try and will be potentially rewarded.

grave_digga,
                        to have an evidence, you could compare the FPS counter when you begin the start map.
                        Once map started, Dont move or change your view. Simply look at your FPS (bottom right).

Kind Regards,
                        Seven

Comment

so whats the software for converting pk3 to pak then? 'cause on some maps (e1m8, e3m5 for example) my fps drops down to about 12! and when hit by a nade in the face down to, like, 3!!!
                          or do you think mine's just a hardware prob, as its only the rygel texture that I have in a .pk3 now, all the rest (skins etc) is just sitting in folders, unzipped.

my rig sucks...

Comment

lol, dont expect a miracle osjclatchford
                            I guess it would be (if any) only a slight performance increase.

If you have overall fps in e1m8 of "12", then you will not have "60" afterwards.

Regarding your converting question:
                            It is not a converting, it is a copy/paste or better said: drag and drop kind of thing.
                            You know already how to handle .pk3īs (with winrar for example),
                            now the only missing program is PakExplorer (for example).
                            This little progi will open the .pak files for you.
                            Now you can move the files between each other.
                            PakExplorer is nothing but a "Winrar" for .pak files

Regards,
                            Seven

Comment

PakScape >>>>> PakExplorer. At least in my personal opinion.

QuakeOne - Quake 1 Resurrection - Quake 1 File Downloads - PakScape

I've added it to our archive, but it has to be approved first... no idea how long that will be.

If you want to compare FPS, type "timedemo demo1" in console ("demo2" and "demo3" are also valid, as well as any user-made demos you may have). Make sure you have vsync off for this operation, both in Darkplaces and in your video card's driver. It will spit out min/avg/max FPS after a few seconds.

Comment

Working...
                              X