help loading original quake cd on windows xp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help loading original quake cd on windows xp

I have the original quake cd and I can't get it to play on windows xp.
    Help. What are the steps I need to take in order to get this to work. thanks.

You'd have to use the Winquake.exe
    However if I recall right that also is buggy.
    XP and beyond don't have proper DOS support (or complete lack thereof). So honestly your best option is to install a new modern engine.

Usually most of them just require you to install Quake normally and then extract the new engine to the same directory as the quake.exe

I only use 2 engines:
    Darkplaces is my engine of choice as it's gorgeous. So many graphical options - and support for many different model types. Making it a great engine to use custom models, textures ect. It however changes the way Quake looks and will take a chunk out of your FPS.
    LordHavoc's DarkPlaces Quake Modification

QRack is the other engine I use. It keeps the original look of Quake - but does support md3 models so if you want to use some model replacements - you still can. Md3 is the most common format used for models.
    QRACK

Others you can try:
    mhquake
    ProQuake 4: The official continuation of ProQuake

Comment

DOS doesn't exist - at all - in Windows NT (3.x and 4), 2000, XP, Vista or 7. There is no DOS. The old "Windows = DOS" thing is no longer true.

So I reckon that you have an old DOS Quake CD. There are going to be two problems here, one or both of which you might be having:
      • Installing it.
      • Running it.
      You won't be able to run DOS Quake on any of the versions of Windows I mentioned, and you won't be able to even install it on 64-bit Windows.

If you've managed to install it OK, that's cool. You just need to download a newer engine from the list given above, unzip it into C:\Quake, and you're off.

If you haven't managed to install it, I wrote a guide for installing the shareware Quake here which should be mostly relevant for the CD too.

I do have an old DOS Quake CD myself, but it was lost for many years, I've only recently found it, and it's in my parent's house at the moment, so when I get the chance I'll do something similar for it.
      IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Use Dosbox.

Comment

Working...
        X