Darkplaces running Q3 Maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darkplaces running Q3 Maps?

I was told that this is possible. What do I do so that it finds my pk3 file? Or should i extract the bsp file inside it? Thanks!

Yes sure.

You only must be aware that Q3 maps sometimes dont have a single player start position and then the engine does not know where to put you and wil crash to console.

So what you want to do is, put the .pk3 file you mentioned into your "ID1" folder (or extract the bsp into your "maps" subfolder).
    Lets say it is called "q3map.bsp".
    Then start your DP with this shortcut
    darkplaces.exe -listen 2 +map q3map

This is how you start the above mentioned kind of maps.
    Thank you Nahuel for teaching me this.

Have fun,
    Seven

Comment

I wonder if DarkPlaces can be used also for Q3:A multiplayer servers?
      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
        Yes sure.

You only must be aware that Q3 maps sometimes dont have a single player start position and then the engine does not know where to put you and wil crash to console.

So what you want to do is, put the .pk3 file you mentioned into your "ID1" folder (or extract the bsp into your "maps" subfolder).
        Lets say it is called "q3map.bsp".
        Then start your DP with this shortcut
        darkplaces.exe -listen 2 +map q3map

This is how you start the above mentioned kind of maps.
        Thank you Nahuel for teaching me this.

Have fun,
        Seven
        So, besides the shortcut thing, what else will differ if I'm using darkplaces on a pandora handheld? I tried the map simp4 but it says it's not in there. It's in a pk3 format and I've extracted the contents (bsp and aas files) into the maps folder under ID1 as well. I've also placed the files in other places it might read it, but still nothing... Also, how would the waypoint files work if playing with bots? Or wouldn't they? Thanks again, seven. Oh and Mindz, I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by jastolze View Post
          So, besides the shortcut thing, what else will differ if I'm using darkplaces on a pandora handheld? I tried the map simp4 but it says it's not in there. It's in a pk3 format and I've extracted the contents (bsp and aas files) into the maps folder under ID1 as well. I've also placed the files in other places it might read it, but still nothing... Also, how would the waypoint files work if playing with bots? Or wouldn't they? Thanks again, seven. Oh and Mindz, I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work.
          I dont know, DarkPlaces is a very different beast,I mean hell, that I know of,it can handle like 3-4 different Games besides the one I play the most lol, q1.

Maybe we just copy the entire pak files,like in Quake1....
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Make sure the files have the correct permissions set as well. chown chmod
            WARNING
            May be too intense for some viewers.
            Stress Relief Device
            ....BANG HEAD HERE....
            ---------------------------
            .--------------------------

Comment

Dropped darkplaces into my Q3 install , then ran into lack of Progs.dat , ripped it out of Pak0.pak dropped it into the renamed baseq3-to-Id1 folder . Tested shit tons of maps,and as mentioned prior it keeps giving no_player_start_blah blah errors on every map I tried (q3ctf1through4 , q3dm1through13).

On the plus side,it SOUNDED LIKE QUAKE 3

Comment

I downloaded a q3 map and dropped it in id1 and it works.
                http://www.map-factory.org/quake-3/arena/winter-3905
                Had no issues with it being found either but my quake install resides in my $HOME directory so permissions are not usually an issue like they may be if yours is in /usr/local for most rpm distros
                I run plain Debian and am not familiar with pandora's file structure.Also I did nothing special to start it,just opened the console and typed map winter.
                Last edited by bluntz; 08-07-2012, 11:09 AM.
                WARNING
                Stress Relief Device
                ....BANG HEAD HERE....

Comment

... you are aware that there is great engine out there which is coded to do this with just a blink of an eye, dont you ?
                  Yes, it is Spike´s FTEQW.
                  So why all the trouble, when FTE can do them all ?

Comment

When these engines say "Quake 3 support", they probably mean Quake 3 BSP support (ie you can load Q3 maps).

I'm not sure if either of them can actually play Quake 3 (since DP and FTE are Quake engines, and Quake uses QC and a progs.dat whereas Q2/Q3 use something else).

I know FTE runs Quake 2 and Hexen 2. Not sure if it runs Quake 3 as well. I wouldn't be surprised if it does though.
                    Scout's Journey
                    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

At least reading the last "news" entries on FTE´s homepage says:
                      Better game support: Quake 2, Quake 3: Arena, Doom 3 (maps), Half-Life (models), Hexen 2, QTest

Comment

DP can only run QC mods, QC mods are not set up for q3 content. You could probably reimplement most of q3 using menu/csprogs and the q3 content, but it would likely be less work to mod the engine instead (you can also gain network compatibility that way, and may indeed be forced to by assumptions in the gamecode).
                        If you're going to try loading a q3 map in DP, you'll probably want to set deathmatch 1 or the qc will complain.

FTE can supposedly run Quake3 in its entirety, same as it can run Quake2 or Hexen2 or Quake(1), supposedly including bots.
                        Just don't expect it to work properly. Q1 stuff keeps breaking other games - different revisions have different levels of support.
                        Some Game Thing

Comment

Pandora uses an ARM so he will have to compile from source to run that FTEQW if there is a port for it at all correct?
                          WARNING
                          Stress Relief Device
                          ....BANG HEAD HERE....

Comment

there is no pre-built FTE for ARM-Linux (I assume its linux seeing as you mention debian). if he has the source, gcc, gmake, and the various other dependancies for fte, he can do:
                            cd $sourcedir/engine && make gl-rel
                            in an xterm or whatever to compile it
                            the result is built at $sourcedir/engine/release/fteqw.gl which can be moved to your quake3 dir and then run from there (or with -basedir if you'd prefer). It'll try and guess if its meant to be running as q3 based upon the files it finds in the basedir (which defaults to working directory on linux).

Realistically though, while FTE can run q3, its not ideal. Also, gb says at least the demo doesn't work right now... So I'm not going to claim that it'll work.
                            I believe ioquake3 supports arm, including the vm/jit, so I expect you'd be best with that engine instead if you want to just Quake3.
                            Some Game Thing

Comment

ioquake3 for Linux 64bit.

I compiled it for x86_64,but you have to grab the updated files from iD and agree to the eula at ioquake3.
                              Here is the client. Zippyshare.com - ioquake3.x86_64.zip
                              I built the server as well if anyone wants it just let me know.
                              WARNING
                              Stress Relief Device
                              ....BANG HEAD HERE....

Comment

Working...
                              X