Enhanced Edition not working properly on Windows 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enhanced Edition not working properly on Windows 7

I just recently acquired Quake 1 Enhanced Edition and upon launching it I noticed there was a problem with the display. The only thing showing up was the menu, the health bar, and flashes from when the weapons were fired and occasionally the moving sky texture would flicker on and off, everything else on the screen is black.

When I pulled down the console it said a number of "permutations" for glow, lightsource diffuse, etc for various shaders were not loaded properly... would this have something to do with the problem?

I have a regular installation of the DOS version of Quake that I have a number of clients for such as DirectQ, Darkplaces, and GLQuake, and they all work great. The reason I wanted the "Enhanced Edition" was because I was told that it has improved textures and lighting, etc...

I am currently running Windows 7 (86x).

Use Darkplaces. done.
    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

On a slightly different topic... I have rygel's high def texture pack as well as the dpmod files to create the enhanced lighting, but I went into the video settings in the game and adjusted something and all of the enhanced lighting and high def textures disappeared! I tried changing the setting back, but it still didn't bring everything back to the way it was... Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by beau.danger View Post
        On a slightly different topic... I have rygel's high def texture pack as well as the dpmod files to create the enhanced lighting, but I went into the video settings in the game and adjusted something and all of the enhanced lighting and high def textures disappeared! I tried changing the setting back, but it still didn't bring everything back to the way it was... Any ideas?
        To clarify, this is while running the game with darkplaces...

Comment

oh. You blowed up, I know this I had this issue too I'm scratching head trying to recall that command that unbroke everything....

http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...tructions.html <- IDK, I just sifted through a few hundred of my instances where I said "DarkPlaces", unfortunately all I found was mostly me failing to get it running. I personally recommend dropping Rygel all together! Read why here..

http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-hel...html#post78192 and http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-hel...l-uhr-pk3.html

Honestly, the PK3 releases = Epic Winning.
          Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 08-13-2012, 05:46 AM.
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Honestly, WTF is "enhanced edition"
            Seems like everybody and their brother is putting out their own HD quake1 package without the approval of the folks here that actually designed the content.This is getting ridiculous,what is needed is an officially endorsed version from Quakeone.com.Some of these clowns have broken the basic workings of the config and released it without any beta cycle at all.
            WARNING
            May be too intense for some viewers.
            Stress Relief Device
            ....BANG HEAD HERE....
            ---------------------------
            .--------------------------

Comment

Well I'll just say fck it to "Enhanced Edition" then since no one seems to know what the hell it is and I'll just try to get my Darkplaces running... I also checked out Reforged and it looks pretty sweet so if I can't get Darkplaces working to my satisfaction I'll give Reforged a looksee.

I'm at work right now though so it'll have to wait until later tonight. Thanks for the help though guys, much appreciated.

Comment

Well I'll just say fck it to "Enhanced Edition" then since no one seems to know what the hell it is and I'll just try to get my Darkplaces running... I also checked out Reforged and it looks pretty sweet so if I can't get Darkplaces working to my satisfaction I'll give Reforged a looksee.

I'm at work right now though so it'll have to wait until later tonight. Thanks for the help though guys, much appreciated.
                The only one I would suggest that I know does work is _smith's_ Quake HD,as he had the balls to man up and take all the abuse I threw at him and actually fixed and credited the content.It uses Darkplaces and includes the QRP content as well as most of the other newer content.That enhanced version is old and unsupported.
                BTW _smith_ can most likely be contacted here for help.
                Good luck.
                Quake HD Pack mod - Mod DB
                Last edited by bluntz; 08-13-2012, 12:10 PM.
                WARNING
                May be too intense for some viewers.
                Stress Relief Device
                ....BANG HEAD HERE....
                ---------------------------
                .--------------------------

Comment

Working...
                X