Quake window/lag in win 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake window/lag in win 7

Hey I got a quick question, Im trying to help my dad out and he cant get his quake to run for the life of him and im 1500 miles away so I cant get on his computer to fix it. He also has no internet so I cant help him much directly.

SYMPTOM: He loads quake and its running about 1/4 screen size in a window but runs okay. Scenerio #2 he disables shadows and can get it to run full screen but it lags using darkplaces.

CONDITIONS: He's running win 7 on a new dual core processor and a vid card with 512 megs or ram, so his computer should be fine. I sent him 3 versions of quake plus the mission packs, dark places and fitzquake and he cant get any of them to work right. I have win 7 and virtually the same video card and have never had a single problem. I even loaded my quake from the quake installers I sent him. Hes running halo 1 fine. Whats the issue? Can someone direct me to the command line so he can adjust the screen resolution manually? When he tries to do it in the game it maximizes but it lags. I cant figure it out... Thanks

I recommend Qrack, to you both...

QRACK

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBG1ucZR8gE[/ame]

Darkplaces is like asking for mustard and recieving Grey Poupon. It's on its own level in terms of a Quake Client...

You can try ..

create a shortcut to darkplaces.exe , then right click on the shorcut and properties.

in the target field, add ;

D:\Games\Quake\darkplaces.exe -height 1024 -width 1280 <-thats what mine would look like.his could be..

C:\Quake\darkplaces.exe -height ..... etc, change the height and width values to match his desktop resolution....

then run the shortcut, it should force the game to fullscreen.
    Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 08-25-2012, 10:39 AM.
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

yeahhhh that didnt work

Comment

Use DirectQ mhquake

It should be a criminal offense for anyone to recommend anything except DirectQ to a windows user with issues. Seriously.

Darkplaces doesn't work right on some computers, FitzQuake.exe acts all weird on dual core or quad core computers due to not having a clock fix. Qrack is a great client, but is doesn't behave the same, requires extra folders and it is unfair to put that burden on someone in a world of hurt. I'm just saying ...

DirectQ is conservative, reliable and any non-screwed up Windows computer running Vista or higher --- the last 10 years --- it runs great.

/One opinion.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

If I run Dark Places on my current rig with no mods at all installed, just Quake, my music pack, and Seven's audio pack, I get about 1000FPS with res set to 1920x1200. So it's pretty much all the bling you can add that makes it heavy.
          Regular One Man Slaughterhouse

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Batty View Post
            If I run Dark Places on my current rig with no mods at all installed, just Quake, my music pack, and Seven's audio pack, I get about 1000FPS with res set to 1920x1200. So it's pretty much all the bling you can add that makes it heavy.
            DarkPlaces requires GLSL support. If a video card doesn't have GLSL support, GLSL support will be software-emulated.

That's means no hardware acceleration. And very low frame rates.

About 70% of PCs ship with a Intel Integrated Media, which until the last 2-3 years, did not have hardware GLSL support.
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

very much true what roy batty said. i too have a copy of darkplaces with no mods or addons or replacement models or textures at all for nostalgia, and when i run that one i get insane high fps too myself all the time
              are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
              > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
              everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                Use DirectQ mhquake

It should be a criminal offense for anyone to recommend anything except DirectQ to a windows user with issues. Seriously.

Darkplaces doesn't work right on some computers, FitzQuake.exe acts all weird on dual core or quad core computers due to not having a clock fix. Qrack is a great client, but is doesn't behave the same, requires extra folders and it is unfair to put that burden on someone in a world of hurt. I'm just saying ...

DirectQ is conservative, reliable and any non-screwed up Windows computer running Vista or higher --- the last 10 years --- it runs great.

/One opinion.
                You have a link? I want my dad to use the same engine as me DP, but if it doesnt work ill take what I can get. He seems to have the same issues with darkplaces as with fitz, and it seems to be a frame rate issue. And yes his is a dual core.

Its either his screen is too small and he cant read the words on the title screen, or he gets it full screen but its laggy. I just do not understand it... New computer, great vid card, great ram, HIGH cpu, new engines, mine works flawlessly... And his runs like shit

Comment

Originally posted by thegreattailz View Post
                  You have a link?
                  It's that yellow mhquake link (MH is the author of DirectQ, that's his page)

DirectQ is reliable beyond belief except on, say, an old Windows 98 machine that can't run DirectX 9.

Its either his screen is too small and he cant read the words on the title screen, or he gets it full screen but its laggy. I just do not understand it... New computer, great vid card, great ram, HIGH cpu, new engines, mine works flawlessly... And his runs like shit
                  He doesn't have internet, he may have old drivers or a bad version of the driver or some other issue you couldn't guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                    Use DirectQ mhquake

/One opinion.
                    What would really help, is some realistic hardware spec's offered. "He's running win 7 on a new dual core processor and a vid card with 512 megs or ram, so his computer should be fine." really doesn't cut it.Maybe its just hardware limitations,and the PC's aren't as similar as thought or portrayed.

In Catalyst, if his GPU is AMD, everything inside Catalyst -> Gaming -> 3D Applications Settings , all sliders can be slid to the far left to the Performance position,apply settings, then save a custom darkplaces profile (select darkplaces.exe) , then you can revert the settings to default settings for normal use,and darkplaces will run with every drop of performance possible,after you save a custom applicatin profile (CAP) for darkplaces.exe

These settings alone could be examples of how similar hardware could be yielding different performance,and there is nVidia equivalent but,I don't have that vendor so here's a youtube on it ; [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-9sgohBIHs]Optimizing Performance in nVidia Control Panel - YouTube[/ame]
                    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Lmao @ specs. What is this, 2005?

inb4 ban

Comment

oof.
                        Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 08-28-2012, 09:15 AM.

Comment

I'd also recommend DirectQ to anyone NEW to quake.
                          It runs best on modern hardware, and faithful to original Quake.
                          It has ProQuake gameplay features, and supports 24bit textures.
                          etc etc.
                          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                            I'd also recommend DirectQ to anyone NEW to quake.
                            It runs best on modern hardware, and faithful to original Quake.
                            It has ProQuake gameplay features, and supports 24bit textures.
                            etc etc.
                            cant get that damned leet quake player that Qrack has to work what about that CTF skullface guy r00k how can I get that permanently in my DirectQ?

I'm presuming they both wanted darkplaces for eyecandy, so I offered Qrackcandy instead

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                              oof.
                              He does have a quality avatar.

Comment

Working...
                              X