Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quake 1 is a slideshow with rainbow colors.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake 1 is a slideshow with rainbow colors.

Hello,

Recently, my computer's boot file was accidentaly deleted whilst expirementing with Quake 1 mods, and i had to reinstall Windows 7. I immediately downloaded Quake again, after i fixed that problem, to resume trying out mods. Now, it runs with an unstable FPS rate, and there are rainbow colors in random spots. Usually, if I ran quake 1 without mods, it'd be entirely rainbows, but now it's just, well, in random spots. I know that Explorer.exe causes the rainbows, but if I close it, the framerate is still terrible. Same thing happens with Quake 2, but the framerate is okay.

Wat do.

oh and if it means anything, I have the steam version of Quake, and the mods i were messing with were Quake Reforged, Darkplaces engine, and a virtual CD for the music.

EDIT: also if I verify the game cache after playing, it will always tell me that there's 1 file missing, but I don't think it ever obtains it when it says it will.
    Last edited by CapnGSW; 10-16-2012, 05:57 PM.

You need ; Drivers or DirectX updates !!

Missing models or 'stuff' = rainbows in darkplaces , rainbow diamonds to be honest. Is that what you are getting?

Instructions for successful install of Quake...

1]Install Quake , this is temporary.
    2] RIP OUT pak0.pak & pak1.pak, these two files = Basic Quake.
    3]Make a folder called Quake,make a folder inside the Quake folder called ID1. Stick pak0.pak and pak1.pak inside the ID1 folder.
    4]Install a modern Quake engine (Darkplaces,ProQuake,Qrack,DirectQ,ETC) into the Quake folder

-Done-

Thats a basic Quake install procedure for 2012, that alone should make Quake "work", and thats a great starting point to updating your Quake to look nicer...

Slide show in Quake = improper or generic video drivers.

-Get updated DirectX9 (release date last year)
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=8109
    -Get update DirectX (latest stuff)
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...131z4enus22051
    -Get your Drivers !! AMD or Nvidia will most likely be your hardware or maybe Intel. Each has drivers needed and can be obtained from these sites.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
    or
    http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
    or
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Quakeone.com really needs a generic front-page easily seen basic set of "setup instructions" , as I am going to admit I get tired of retyping it over and over with varying depths of degrees of involvement. I might just copy/paste this to a text document and start the broken record up
    Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 10-16-2012, 07:59 PM.
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

sounds like a new quake mod! "rainbow quake", where the monster's blood looks like sherbert!!
      My Avatars!
      Quake Leagues
      Quake 1.5!!!
      Definitive HD Quake

Comment

@syluxman
        lol your comment reminds me of the hippie mode from serious sam
        where all blood of monsters gets replaced with colorfull flowers and the gibs with vegetables

someone should make a mod like that for quake, that would be epic
        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
        > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
          You need ; Drivers or DirectX updates !!

Missing models or 'stuff' = rainbows in darkplaces , rainbow diamonds to be honest. Is that what you are getting?

Instructions for successful install of Quake...

1]Install Quake , this is temporary.
          2] RIP OUT pak0.pak & pak1.pak, these two files = Basic Quake.
          3]Make a folder called Quake,make a folder inside the Quake folder called ID1. Stick pak0.pak and pak1.pak inside the ID1 folder.
          4]Install a modern Quake engine (Darkplaces,ProQuake,Qrack,DirectQ,ETC) into the Quake folder

-Done-

Thats a basic Quake install procedure for 2012, that alone should make Quake "work", and thats a great starting point to updating your Quake to look nicer...

Slide show in Quake = improper or generic video drivers.

-Get updated DirectX9 (release date last year)
          Download: DirectX Redist (June 2010) - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details
          -Get update DirectX (latest stuff)
          Download: DirectX End-User Runtime - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details
          -Get your Drivers !! AMD or Nvidia will most likely be your hardware or maybe Intel. Each has drivers needed and can be obtained from these sites.

AMD Graphics Drivers & Software ? Download the latest drivers for your graphics products
          or
          Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers
          or
          Intel Download Center

Quakeone.com really needs a generic front-page easily seen basic set of "setup instructions" , as I am going to admit I get tired of retyping it over and over with varying depths of degrees of involvement. I might just copy/paste this to a text document and start the broken record up
          No. All the textures and models are installed right, but the color scheme is what looks rainbow-y. It's caused by explorer.exe.

Also, it seems as if this problem is only caused when I have darkplaces installed, but if i remove it that still won't fix the horrible framerate.

Comment

explorer.exe does not cause that kind of problem unless you have something else seriously wrong with your system. So I'm surmising that you have something else seriously wrong with your system.

Let's start in the easy place and assume that you're overclocking. Overclocking can cause that kind of screwy stuff to happen, so if so, stop overclocking and see what happens.

If that doesn't fix it (or if you're not overclocking) the next thing you should do is try DirectQ: DirectQ - Home

For now it does not matter if you do or don't want to actually use this engine longer term - this is a test. If you were overclocking, don't go back; do this without overclocking too.

If DirectQ works OK then you've got a problem with OpenGL on your video card.
            If DirectQ doesn't work OK then we'll assume that your video driver is otherwise messed up.

Mindz gave all the links for downloading drivers above, so follow those, download and install known good drivers.

Then retest and report back, and we'll see where to go from there.
            IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

I fixed my problem by updating my video card drivers. Fixed for now, at least.

Comment

We need an all in one ~ If you can't get Quake running ~ thingy for reals.
                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                  Quakeone.com really needs a generic front-page easily seen basic set of "setup instructions" , as I am going to admit I get tired of retyping it over and over with varying depths of degrees of involvement.
                  After I get the new server up (I've been battling QuakeC nuances, which I'm trying to put to rest tonight), I think the site layout is going to get a gradual overhaul.

The current layout worked in the past, but clearly it needs improvement.

Especially recurring versions of this kind of question.

[@MH ... this is why I like the DX8 wrapper. Messing with the drivers fixed his problems, but I've had to mess with OpenGL driver versions in the past and I hated every minute of it.]
                  Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Solution

..install Ubuntu Linux
                    RawShark
                    http://the.blogofeternalstench.net

Comment

Once you have Ubuntu installed, Private Message RawShark and tell you've installed Ubuntu / asks whats next.

For the record ; The Labyrinth = good movie.

Comment

Originally posted by RawShark View Post
                        ..install Ubuntu Linux
                        ...and now you have TWO problems!!!
                        IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

he already has two problems. 1) rainbow colours. 2) slow performance.
                          oh, sure, he'd still have two problems with ubuntu... 1) unity. 2) incompatibility with windows programs. But I'm sure ubuntu would install some opengl drivers.
                          Though there's a third problem in that quake engines tend to not be so well supported in linux as they are in windows, but hey, win6/win6.1 doesn't exactly support 8bit paletted stuff either, so whatever. Yay explorer.exe corrupting the palette.
                          Some Game Thing

Comment

IIRC the problem he was experiencing would also include "Grainy nonsense" lookin shit too HORRIBLE HORRIBLE.

Comment

Originally posted by splitterface View Post
                              @syluxman
                              lol your comment reminds me of the hippie mode from serious sam
                              where all blood of monsters gets replaced with colorfull flowers and the gibs with vegetables

someone should make a mod like that for quake, that would be epic
                              i totally agree.
                              My Avatars!
                              Quake Leagues
                              Quake 1.5!!!
                              Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Working...
                              X