Concept: Gateway Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concept: Gateway Server

A couple of months ago, the idea of Gateway map was discussed ...

Gateway Concept: Map of Maps

and later on it became a reality and there is a large gateway map running at RocketGuy's RQuake Team Cooperative server. (Intro Map source and wad available)

RQuake Team Cooperative Intro Map - 50 Teleporters

Gateway Server

Last year, R00k played around with the idea of having a server that acted as an access point to other servers. You would connect to the server and press 1 thru 4 and then be forwarded to the server you wish to play on.

All the former MPlayer users, a Quake gaming service in the 1990's -- which I never once saw or used, loved having a meeting area to chat with players to organize a game. I guess they could direct connect or something.

I think eventually it would be cool having a Gateway server that had teleporters that forwarded players to other servers.

This is actually possible today, there are 2 problems with it though if it were driven by a gateway server map.

1) Servers change
    2) Only 16 players can be connected at the same, that is a woefully insufficient player cap for such a server.

DarkPlaces dedicated can do well beyond 16 or 32 players, it can do ... I've heard, 64 easily or even 255.

This type of idea isn't going to happen anytime soon, but I have some interesting ideas and I think this type of server might eventually happen.

I think it would be great to connect to a server with 70 players hanging around and be able to get together in a cluster to organize a game.

I don't think this kind of map would look like the RQuake intro map, I think it would be ideal to have like 8 different waiting areas ... little hangouts or club rooms ... like maybe a few different lounges with signs overhead saying "CTF Waiting Room", "CA Waiting Room", "Rocket Arena Waiting Room", "Cooperative Waiting Room", etc.

Just an idea, this would probably take a lot of work ... or would it??? heheh
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

You're asking for a lot of effort for a level that doesn't last more than 30 seconds

Comment

Would solve a LOT of problems like ...

1. Having to go server to server to recruit players for a specific type of game. You see this all the time.

1a. Some players are too shy to do #1

1b. Did I mention #1 happens all time? Especially in the evenings. "Hey anyone for 3wav?" "Who wants to RA?" "Hey come to Fear" "Anyone for CTF?"

2. Eliminate the awkward sit on a server an idle and wait for someone to show problem.

3. Would help players organize a game conveniently.

And ... I'm not asking for anything. Just bringing up an interesting idea. Everyone loves an interesting idea.

Besides, I think it would be fun for a mapper to make a sweet decked out looking map with 4-8 clubhouses to serve as a waiting room. Twice as fun if it were guaranteed to be used a ton.

If you dig around map archives, you will find a lot of maps where it is clear someone made the map for fun and decided to try to make "their house" or some other thing.

Just look at the Fragtown maps!

edit = I might mention the QuakeC for this kind of thing is 10 minutes of work, max. No kidding. Just cause a teleporter to send the forward to server command. And we all know how much excess server capacity there is in Quake, hosting such a thing is a non-issue that's for sure.
      Last edited by Baker; 06-18-2006, 03:07 PM.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Gunter setup a server (needs a host) where players can hang out and choose the servers they wanted to go too. It takes place in the Introduction map. Baker, if you wern't afk you could have checked it out. It's really a piece of work.

Easy mode teleport - Bomber
        Hard mode teleport - RQuake Coop
        Episode1 - Net Tyme (not sure on order)
        Episode2 - Shmack (not sure on order)
        Episode3 - intertex ctf (not sure on order)
        Episode4 - IHOC (not sure on order)
        Pit - FvF (all the cool people play here)

honestly, Gunter's done a lot for the quake community lately and no one has given him much credit (us FvFers try). I think it's due to the fact that you wouldn't know him unless you went to FvF (or saw him in CRMOD by chance: he tends to follow me around ) because he doesn't register to forums.

Comment

I'll have to check that out, Shiper.

honestly, Gunter's done a lot for the quake community lately and no one has given him much credit (us FvFers try).
          I fought for Gunter to be listed in the QuakeOne server browser back on the Quake Terminus news post announcing QuakeOne because I knew that server had a loyal and long time fan base. I also did a news item on Quake Terminus about Gunter's chat feature.

There are 2 news items around involving Gunter on the home page right now.

I think Gunter contributes a lot to the Quake community.

Eventually I will be building installers for FVF ... the only snag right now is that it requires a gamedir to get the full experience and I am thinking about the best solution.

Everything takes time. We are getting close to an "All servers" browser , and there are lot of other things in the pipeline.

Comment

Working...
          X