No announcement yet.

Quake Servers NewYork.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. Oh ok, so not all maps may be available.. well, this is a start anyway

Yea, I'm sorry, I haven't played that often and so far in between, that I forgot a few stuff hehe. I think I have most of the maps, but wasn't sure if I had the complete set, from a-z lol
    The gemstone of gaming is Quake, so load it up and play some

Comment

The download link for maps next to NewDMNY.servequake.com:26010 does not have the custom maps that are running on the server. I cannot connect using QuakeSpasm, but DarkPlaces does have the ability to download maps.

Incidentally ProQuake and Mark V also work, but those clients do not display the video properly on my computer and I do not like them.

I've also tried Quakeworld clients. EZQuake cannot connect at all and FTE seems to have a bug preventing it from downloading maps on netquake and the creator said that is something he is going to have to debug then.

In the meantime I may be able to use DarkPlaces, but I get the feeling that the way NetQuake is supposed to work is you download the maps with a link before joining the server, as opposed to QuakeWorld and that is the intention of the download link.

Could the server host look into this please. Perhaps the link needs to be updated to include the custom maps.

Thank You

Comment

Hi Aftershock

Originally posted by aftershock View Post
        The download link for maps next to NewDMNY.servequake.com:26010 does not have the custom maps that are running on the server....
        My humble suggestion would be that you download the FFA map pack first (see http://bigfoot.servequake.com/maps/ffany.zip) and let us know which maps you believe are still missing.

...I cannot connect using QuakeSpasm, but DarkPlaces does have the ability to download maps.

Incidentally ProQuake and Mark V also work, but those clients do not display the video properly on my computer and I do not like them.
        I'm not aware of any reason why Quakespasm would unable to connect to a Netquake server but if your other NetQuake clients connect ok then this suggests a possible config problem with your QuakeSpasm engine.

I've also tried Quakeworld clients. EZQuake cannot connect at all and FTE seems to have a bug preventing it from downloading maps on netquake and the creator said that is something he is going to have to debug then.

In the meantime I may be able to use DarkPlaces, but I get the feeling that the way NetQuake is supposed to work is you download the maps with a link before joining the server, as opposed to QuakeWorld and that is the intention of the download link.
        It seems you have a number of issues here.
        1. You want to try connecting to Netquake servers using QuakeWorld engines
        2. You want your engine to autodownload maps

Is this correct?

With regard to the first question - In order for you to connect to a NetQuake Server with a QuakeWorld engine you need to be sure that a) the Quakeworld engine has this capability and b) that you are providing the engine with the right information to enable it to connect. For example, the author of the FTE quakeworld engine has confirmed on this forum that FTE CAN connect to Netquake servers but you must enter a slightly different command to the usual one in order for it to connect. If memory serves (and it probably doesn't) FTE uses something like nconnect ffany.servequake.com:26000 . I've not tested this but if you use the normal connect command in your Quakeworld client I believe it will assume you are trying to connect to a Quakeworld server and fail as the protocols are different. @Spike please jump in here if any of the above is incorrect.

With regard to your second question most modern netquake engines can auto download maps when you join a server and don't initially have that map. Personally I tend to use Proquake and the autodownload has worked flawlessly for years on dozens of custom maps. As I recall, all that is required it to add a couple of values to your config.cfg file and Proquake just handles it seemlessly. Try the following:

Code:
        cl_web_download "1"
        cl_web_download_url "damage.servequake.com/"
        I don't use Darkplaces a lot for on line play so although I know it can also auto download maps I'm not entirely sure of how this is set up.

Could the server host look into this please. Perhaps the link needs to be updated to include the custom maps.

Thank You
        Try adding the above map pack and please come back to us.

Kind regards

Monty
        Last edited by Mr.Burns; 01-08-2017, 09:10 AM.
        Mr.Burns
        "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
        WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
        Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Mr. Burns,

The link you gave to the ffany.zip file is not valid. I chopped off the rest though and saw the Euroquake page which I recognize and the maps link there has a few examples of maps that the NewDMNY server was using and were not in the provided zip file.

Is there a complete zip file so I can download all of those maps and not one at a time?

I experienced the same thing as you with ProQuake. It works and uses web-download which is interesting and different. It actually says it gets it from quake-1.com I believe and I can't even get to a web address there.

I don't use ProQuake because I tried it and the video quality looks very bad. For some reason the brightness is all messed up. There is a momentary flash every one and a while and the screen goes darker like normal and I can see what it is supposed to look like.

I talked to the FTE creator and told him about the web-download and ProQuake. He seemed to be against the idea of web-download as an approach due to errors it could cause like downloading the wrong map or bringing down web servers I think he said. However, I noticed that web download is extremely fast! Also, I tried Mark V engine and it also has web-download and it works even faster than ProQuake. Mark V engine though is lacking in video features though like anti-aliasing. There is no v-sync option, but maybe it is already enabled which is good because I have to have v-sync. DarkPlaces downloads the map from the server, which works. Maybe I'll take another look at Mark V. The Mark V game browser only lists very few game servers too, which could be a problem. Also, I found out there is a cool program called QTracker where I can view games in a separate program. This allows a lot of flexibility and could be a better approach. It is basically like the old QuakeSpy / GameSpy. I still remember using QuakeSpy and liked that!

On another note I've been tempted to find out how I can get a server setup in Washington DC. I connected to the New York server and the ping is pretty good, but I think it wold be nice to have one in DC too.

Comment

Working...
          X