DirectQ Hosting A Normal Server Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DirectQ Hosting A Normal Server Help

Hello everybody, I was wondering if somebody here can explain to me how I can host on DirectQ. I've tried everything UDP to TCP and even TCP/UDP. And yet no one can connect to my online IP still. I tried -Dedicated, but learn that was removed. So I tried -Listen, and yet nobody can still join my server though the IP.

So I tried hosting in WinQuake 1.09. (Steam Version) with -Listen. And people could join though my IP.

So I don't know why DirectQ refuse to have other players join my server, when Winquake allows others to join.

So does anyone know how to fix this problem? Or is it a engine related issue?

My ports are forwarded to 26000 by the way, if that helps.

I think this may have been mentioned in another thread but its my understanding that the majority of Netquake servers are either Proquake or Darkplaces which tend to be fairly straightforward to set up.

This is the first time I have heard of someone using DirectQ as a server engine.
    So just out of curiosity, what were the benefits / advantages that you perceived that made you choose DirectQ as a dedicated server over the more usual choices above?

Kind regards

Monty
    Last edited by Mr.Burns; 08-14-2013, 01:00 AM.
    Mr.Burns
    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Burns View Post
      I think this may have been mentioned in another thread but I understand that the majority of Netquake servers are either Proquake or Darkplaces which tend to be fairly straightforward to set up.

This is the first time I have heard of someone using DirectQ as a server engine.
      So just out of curiosity, what were the benefits / advantages that you perceived that made you choose DirectQ as a dedicated server over the more usual choices above?

Kind regards

Monty
      Well I used to use Darkplaces, but at times it just did not feel the same as the original Quake. And in the expansion packs, If you play in Nightmare mode in catacomb from Mission Pack Two. You can't progress any further due to a game breaking glitch. Only way to continue though the stage, is to rocket jump. So I decided to search out for a better engine. That will work perfectly with the original, and the expansion packs. And then I found DirectQ, This engine really plays just like the original game. And I've found no game breaking glitches so far with it. Just makes me wonder why I can't host with DirectQ though. So I hope somebody here know's how to make it work.

As for Proquake, It does not really work well in Windows Mode. Reason, The mouse glitches up in Windows mode. Causing it to make you click out of it, after you left or right click in the game. So it made it unplayable.

Comment

I'm no expert on directQ as unfortunately it never ran properly with my old hardware. I could be wrong but I suspect that the main area of focus for the development of DirectQ was in making a very efficient, and hardware compatible quake client that for the most part performed brilliantly on most hardware. I've not really seen much about it being intended to be used as a server but that doesn't necessarily mean that it can't be used as such. Unfortunately MH seemed to disappear from these forums around March 2013 else I'm sure he could clarify this for you.

With this in mind the only thing I can suggest is to use Proquake as your dedicated server engine and DirectQ as your Client Engine. At least that way you get the best of both worlds, i.e. the mod/client compatibility and tried and tested reliability of the Proquake server engine, plus the high performance of your DirectQ client to play quake on.

You might consider looking on MH's blog as I understand that he occassionally releases updates to DirectQ through that.

Hope this helps

Monty
        Last edited by Mr.Burns; 08-14-2013, 12:59 AM.
        Mr.Burns
        "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
        WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
        Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Burns View Post
          I'm no expert on directQ as unfortunately it never ran properly with my old hardware. I could be wrong but I suspect that the main area of focus for the development of DirectQ was in making a very efficient, and hardware compatible quake client that for the most part performed brilliantly on most hardware. I've not really seen much about it being intended to be used as a server but that doesn't necessarily mean that it can't be used as such.

With this in mind the only thing I can suggest is to use Proquake as your dedicated server engine and DirectQ as your Client Engine. At least that way you get the best of both worlds, i.e. the mod/client compatibility and tried and tested reliability of the Proquake server engine, plus the high performance of your DirectQ client to play quake on.

You might consider looking on MH's blog as I understand that he occassionally releases updates to DirectQ through that.

Hope this helps

Monty
          Thank you very much Monty. I'll use Proquake as my Dedicated server. Till a newer version of DirectQ comes out with a working Netcode.

Comment

it might be down to directq trying to autodetect a better default network interface to use, which would be fixable with the '-ip 192.168.0.1' or whatever argument.
            I can't think of any other reason why steam/vanilla winquake would work as a listen server where directq would not.
            Some Game Thing

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
              it might be down to directq trying to autodetect a better default network interface to use, which would be fixable with the '-ip 192.168.0.1' or whatever argument.
              I can't think of any other reason why steam/vanilla winquake would work as a listen server where directq would not.
              It would probably be the Netcode it self. Learn that MH removed the -Dedicated Server parameter. Making it impossible to host in a simple command box. But I am gonna take a good guess, that MH also ruin the -Listen code. Because its not allowing others to join. Yet Steam version of Winquake, allows others to join. So it has to do with the Engine it self.

Comment

Working...
              X