Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to host a Quake 1 server

Hey guys!

I have access over the holidays to a server with a static IP and would like to use it to host a Quake 1 (and Quake 2) server.

Which server would you guys advice I use?

QuakeWorld too old?
    ProQuake?

PS. Server will be for South Africa as I dont know if any server here.....

Hi,
    Quakeworld is still a very popular and actively developed server platform. A really good example of what is possible with QuakeWorld would be FTE whose author is quite active on these forums

I'm sure Spike will correct me but its my understanding that Quakeworld servers can be published on to a master server list which is viewable within the QuakeWorld client and from which you may get some patronage for your server.

Alternatively you could always use Proquake or Darkplaces to run your netquake server. They are usually fairly straightforward to set up and many server admins are users here and generally try to help when asked nicely

You probably know this already, but please bare in mind that although there is some crossover, i.e. some Qw engines support connections to NQ (netquake) and visa versa, normally you get one or the other rather than both server types. Which is sad given the size of the community as it could be advantageous having QW engines connecting to NQ servers seamlessly (there is a way to do it in FTE by using a particular command - nqconnect Spike?) and NQ engines to QW servers in the same manner.

Hope this helps

Monty
    Last edited by Mr.Burns; 03-18-2014, 08:29 AM.
    Mr.Burns
    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Thank you! I last played on a QW server yoooonks ago. I'm itching for some.

Will have a look at FTE.

Comment

with FTE clients, the 'connect' command is quite promiscuous, but defaults to port 27500.
        the 'join game' menu is a server listing, with colour coding for the various protocol types. it queries the NQ server listings hosted by this site, as well as various quakeworld master servers.

with FTE servers:
        sv_public 1 will subscribe to certain public quakeworld master servers (which means it should be visible to pretty much any active server listing). This is the default setting on dedicated server builds.
        sv_listen_nq defaults to 2, which tries to do some anti-smurfing thing. set it to 1 if people's nq clients have problems with that, and the server should seamlessly support clients of either protocol family. Beware that FTE listens on port 27500 and not 26000 by default, which may also cause problems (with vanilla, and lan polling).
        The progs cvar (defaults to empty, meaning autodetect) can be used to explicitly specify which of 'qwprogs.dat' (QW) or 'progs.dat' (NQ) to use. You should normally leave this setting alone - the main reason I mention this is to draw attention to the fact that QW and NQ do have different mod compatibility (yay... thanks id...) but that FTE supports both types, with either types of clients. Its promiscuous like that.

Of course, different clients using different protocols on a single server has certain balancing issues (like QW clients getting prediction and NQ clients not... but hey, at least I'm trying to keep with the ideals!)
        Some Game Thing

Comment

Thanks! Cant say that I have ever had direct contact with a developer! And it being someone working on the best game ever, awesome.

I sometimes think back to Quake 1 as the best time in my gaming....adventure.

I've actually slacked off on my Quake technical knowledge. Will look into this some more.

Who edits a config file these days like we did in Quake?

One more question, can FTE do some kind of map rotation? I've googled and see stuff about messing the progs file....which is going to be to complicated for me...

Comment

map rotation is normally handled by the gamecode. the server does not directly support it.
            different mods have different expectations. some have scripts you can run to generate a list of the available maps, etc.
            The vanilla QuakeWorld gamecode has some:
            localinfo oldmap newmap
            thing, so you can chain maps that way. this has the obvious issue that you can't name the same map twice within a rotation, so many third-party mods have some alternative mechanism, assigning numbers or so instead of a simple from+to thing. Check the example configs that come with your mod choice.
            I can't talk for NQ. any standards for map rotation depend upon engine extensions, which tends to destroy any universally agreed upon standard... I'm sure you get my point.
            Some Game Thing

Comment

Working...
            X