Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiplayer for Dummies

Hi everybody,
    I'm an idiot so please forgive me about my question. I'd like to play co-op multiplayer game with my brother who lives in England, I live in Hungary actually. So I have an EzQuake client and I have a GlQuake client also (he has the same). I tried to make connection, tried to make servers, sources, but no succeed. And I have a program called "hamachi" I read somewhere it can make connection. but I don't know how.
    So could anybody write me step-by-step what I should do? When we were children we played a lot Quake together so it was fun, and we just would like to do it again. Thank you so much

Setting up your own private Quake server can be done fairly easily but might involve opening ports on your firewall, setting up port forwarding, and tweaking your server. It probably sounds more difficult than it actually is but it depends on how comfortable you are with the above

One alternative you could consider would be to play on some of the european servers. My initial suggestion would that you both get the latest version of Proquake, which is a NetQuake engine, get it running nicely on your PCs and then try to connect to somewhere like Flanders in Belgium, which gives me around a 34 ping from the UK, by typing the following in your console:
    Code:
    connect flanders.quake1.net
    If you want to coop against the monsters try
    Code:
    connect flanders.quake1.net:26001
    ..bare in mind that the later is a coop mod called RQuake for which you may need some custom maps to play it properly (clicky)

If that works out well you could look at getting some other engines such as Qrack, EngineX or even Darkplaces depending on your preference

If you are still stuck then report back to this thread and I'm sure we'll try and help

Kind regards

Monty
    Mr.Burns
    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

First of all, thank you for helping me, I really appreciate
      So I'm stuck at the first step. So I tried your alternate way, but I couldn't get the ProQuake. The setup says I have a registered pak pak1.pak file in my Id folder. It doesn't say I should remove it, actually it doesn't offer anything else but "ok" and that's all. I can't install it. So I have no ProQuake. Is there any way to find out how to connect GLQuake?
      Forgive me about my foolish questions.

Comment

hamachi is a VPN solution. this means your machine is multi-homed. due to certain issues, this will cause issues with glquake, proquake, and a number of other quake projects.
        you can work around this issue by explicitly stating the network address to bind to with the '-ip x.x.x.x' commandline argument. just change the xs appropriately.
        qrack, fte, and dp should all automatically use the proper default route that hamachi sets up, and so should not have issues.

EzQuake is a QuakeWorld engine and not a Quake engine. While they're almost the same, Quake and QuakeWorld use a different and incompatible network protocol.
        there's two exceptions - DP can generally connect to either yet as a server it uses its own protocol (by default) that's incompatible with everything else. The second exception is that FTE fully supports both protocols as either a client or server (although the server does listen on port 27500 by default).

If all else fails, FTE has an xmpp plugin which features NAT holepunching. It requires an xmpp account - you can use a google/gmail account for this.
        Before I continue, I should point out that this is somewhat experimental stuff and may not work. :s
        download http://triptohell.info/moodles/win32/fteglqw.exe and http://triptohell.info/moodles/win32...ug_xmppx86.dll
        run the exe.
        xmpp /open [email protected] "yourpassword"
        if you're both signed in and one of you starts a game. The other person sees a status update in their console with a '[join]' link. When clicked, an [accept]/[deny] pair of links will be shown on the server's console. Once the host clicks [accept] the two engines will attempt to punch a hole through your firewalls/nats to establish a game.
        This assumes you already befriended them via google hangouts or gmail or whatever they call it nowadays. If not, you can type 'xmpp /friend [email protected]' to send them a request that they can authorise or deny.

The upside is that you don't have to manually exchange ip addresses at all.
        You should also be able to initiate a voice conversation with your friend from inside quake.
        The downside is that you have to provide your password - you *can* sign in with oauth2 instead by omitting the password and following the extra instructions that the plugin is meant to print out on the console - this will involve visiting some url it gives you to google's site and copy+pasting the result of that back to quake, so only google+browser sees your password, and quake sees only an auth token that is only valid for xmpp.
        Like I say, its not guarenteed to work (tbh nothing is when NATs are involved), but hey, its a fun method!
        Disclaimer: I wrote this crap that I just described.
        Some Game Thing

Comment

Originally posted by a111es View Post
          First of all, thank you for helping me, I really appreciate....
          Happy to help, as the last few Quakers left on the planet we have got to help each other wherever we can

Originally posted by a111es View Post
          ...So I'm stuck at the first step. So I tried your alternate way, but I couldn't get the ProQuake. The setup says I have a registered pak pak1.pak file in my Id folder. It doesn't say I should remove it, actually it doesn't offer anything else but "ok" and that's all. I can't install it. So I have no ProQuake. Is there any way to find out how to connect GLQuake?
          Forgive me about my foolish questions.
          Hmmm, Proquake won't install, that's a new one :/ If you tried the easy installer and it failed then you could always try the zip file and just unpack it manually.
          If you do have both pak files (pak0 and pak1) in your quake/id1 directory that suggests that you have a proper registered version of Quake, rather than the shareware, which is a good thing as this will enable you to play more maps and use engines with greater capabilities such as the ones I mentioned. The usual problem is people running the shareware version which I believe does not have PAK1 and then running in to problems due to the built-in restrictions.

If you want to give GLQuake a try then you connect via the same method, i.e. fire up quake, drop in to your console and type..
          Code:
          connect flanders.quake1.net
          ... press return, close your console and then start fragging
          There is a little more information here in case it helps.
          It's only fair to say that some older versions of Quake had problems connecting to through a NAT network and had a variety of bugs, so some of the later engines might be a safer and more stable option for you.

Hope this helps (but come back to me if not)

Monty
          Last edited by Mr.Burns; 04-02-2014, 01:26 AM.
          Mr.Burns
          "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
          WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
          Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

@spikes entire post

wow. That's some involved stuff, right there. I think it's safe to assume that no one should ever piss you off... lest you hack their brain via wifi or something.
            http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Working...
            X