Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tutorial: Setting up to play Quake!(WinQuake)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tutorial: Setting up to play Quake!(WinQuake)

Hello fellow marines and masters! I am Psyllex and for my first post I would like to contribute this simple tutorial to get set up with WinQuake and start fragging your friends! This has been tested/is working on Windows XP 32bit, Windows 7 32bit/64bit, Windows 8 64bit!

Why WinQuake?

The first time I had ever played Quake was on my off-brand 133mhz (yes, it had a turbo button.) WIN95 comp that was definitely off limits as it was a 'work' computer for my father. My uncle was down for Christmas 1996 and he had brought his computer as well (He was a huge gamer) and was playing Quake with a co-worker as I watched. The game was unlike anything I had ever beheld. The graphics, sound, smoothness, and terrifying monsters were all astonishingly attractive and outstanding! After my uncle and father went to sleep / santa (Yes, I was around 6 years old.) I snuck into the basement and took my uncle's Quake CD and carefully placed it in my computer's CD tray. I installed it and began to play. The sudden clanging sound of a bouncing grenade exploded out of my speakers. I forgot to turn them off. I quickly unplugged them and started a game. The game just felt right. The controls (despite keyboard only) were very smooth. Coming from DOOM, it felt like this game flows even faster! Running wildly from room to room shooting baddies and jumping from fright filled up my entire night. I still remember the first time I fought against a Shambler. How many times I had to load the game over and over again. It was amazing. Eventually, Christmas time came and the only thing I cared about was Quake.

What I'm trying to emphasize is I have a burned image in my mind of how Quake should be and WinQuake is the closest to being an exact copy to the original as far as graphical representation and gameplay. I miss that oldschool style. Alright? (Nostalgia alert!)

========== 1. Demo/Purchase and Installation ==========

First, you will need either a demo or full copy of the game. You can download the demo here. You can purchase a copy of the game by clicking on the 'Buy Quake' link under the 'QuakeOne Community' on the left hand side of this page. You can still use WinQuake weather you have a digital version or a CD copy.

========== 2. Digital Copy Installation ==========

If you downloaded the shareware/demo you should have a zip file named 'quake106.zip'. I'm pretty sure you will have something similar if you purchase the game.
    Unzip the contents to a folder of your choosing. Inside your folder you just unzipped everything to is a file named install.bat. Opening it will start the Quake installation process.(Win 7/8 users may need to use DosBox) The setup will ask you which drive letter to install Quake. Just press 'C' or whichever drive you desire to install to. Then name the folder your Quake installation. (I named mine WinQuake.) After the program is installed the window will close.

=========== 3. CD Setup ==========

There are two different versions of the Quake CD. DOS and Windows. If you have a DOS CD, then the installation process will be similar to a digital installation, but if you have a Windows version CD, download and install the demo version of Quake and copy the 'ID1' folder from the CD into your Quake directory overwriting any demo files. The ID1 folder contains all the files needed to play the registered game.

========== 4. WinQuake Installation ==========

Download WinQuake here. Unzip the wq100.zip to your Quake installation directory. And you should be done!

=========== 5. Customization and Configuration ==========
    After changing the key bindings to a more modern WASD setup, you might notice something. I have to hold a key for mouselook? lame. Actually, you don't. Create a new text file named 'autoexec.cfg' in your 'ID1' folder and add this as the first line.

Code:
    +mlook
    This makes it so mouselook is always on.
    You can also keybind specific weapons with these lines. Just replace the numbers with whatever key you'd like to use.

Code:
    bind 1 "impulse 1" //Axe
    bind 2 "impulse 2" //Single Shotgun
    bind 3 "impulse 3" //Double ShotGun
    bind 4 "impulse 4" //NailGun
    bind 5 "impulse 5" //Super NailGun
    bind 6 "impulse 6" //Grenade
    bind 7 "impulse 7" //Rocket Launcher
    bind 8 "impulse 8" //Lightning Gun
    For example bind q "impulse 7" would bind the Rocket Launcher to key Q.
    (Be sure to use lowercase letters.)

========== Conclusion ==========

If you seek further knowledge, I'm sure you can find other helpful articles here on QuakeOne forums. And I'd like to thank the many members of QuakeOne for helping with anything and being easy going and supportive no matter what situation/question the newbies have. Long time lurker. First time poster.

Thank you.
    Outstanding.
    33.33%
    Above Average.
    33.33%
    Average.
    33.33%
    Poor.
    0.00%
    Terrible.
    0.00%
    Last edited by Psyllex; 10-15-2014, 10:49 PM.

winquake contains a bug that requires that you first disable DEP (this can be done on a per-program basis), google for how to do this or something.
    failure to do so will result in it crashing as soon as it tries to draw a model (which it will do when it auto-plays the demo at start up).
    Some Game Thing

Comment

disabling DEP tutorial Youtube link,should be able to just swap out NR2003 for Winquake..... via the video instructions.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLwchOQU80g]How to turn DEP off in Windows 7 for NR2003 [Windows 8 help in Desc] - YouTube[/ame]

I accept no responsibility for doing any of this lol, there are modern engines with the same old school look to it. Recently I tried out Engoo as someone else suggested,and it was that same 'blast from the past' look you desire,minus the DEP riff raff.

Thanks for your tut though, much appreciated!
      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

i'll play whatever. just bored as fawk. come find me at cax.quakeitup.com. i'll 1v1 dm, RA, coop, i dont care. just come play.???

Our excellent online Testking cscs training programs will lead you to success in the We als offer latest and Testking vcp course with 100% success guarantee. Our nmu.edu is rare in IT world. http:hsbc.edu
        Last edited by Dhokahai1; 03-12-2015, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X