Multiplayer Q1 + Fullbrights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiplayer Q1 + Fullbrights

I just noticed r00k say that fullbrightskins in netQuake are a no-no, and rather than offtopic QWCLAW's post I brought it here instead.

Take a look at that. Then anyone who knows they can justify why fullbrights are a no no in multiplayer Q1, drop your opinion right here!

I'll go ahead and give my opinion,which is this...

Quake is not hide and seek! "See enemy, Kill enemy" is my motto! The only reason I could ever surmise why fullbright's was considered a no-no was because all the campers hiding in dark corners would be seen.

I've noticed on Shmack back in the day,a player will be on a map with dark area standing their attempting to be hidden/camping.
    The maps E4M2 & E4M8 come to mind immediately.....

Dark spots EVERYWHERE on this map.
    @ the exit is huge room of darkness,you get a Rune there...

Not that I ever (get to) play those maps anymore,because between DM4,Start & DM6 is king of get voted @ Shmack...

Legit Discussion here!
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

joequake has fullbright skin support because it was created from
    FuhQuake. Qrack came out of joequake base. fullbright skins was one of the cirst things i ripped out because i didnt want people to think i was modding a hacked engine. if people want fullbright skins i can Easily add them back in.

but if u want to see a dark map that is played often just fire up
    dm2.
    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Honestly quake should be played in its original state except for enhancing the graphics. Quake 3 rings a bell with fullbright green skins. It sucks in my opinion. Now CAx could use fullbright skins however TDM no because you are trying to control the map or seek control of the map and with fullbright skins good luck trying to sneak in to grab an RL or hide at RA/SNG buying time until you can make the grab for quad or pent etc. CTF/CAX/FFA fullbrights should be no problem but not for TDM.

Comment

1: use vanilla software rendering.
        2: open up your player.mdl in qme or something and edit the skin to use only the last 32 colours of the palette. Save.

Voila, you have fullbright player models in any engine that aims for compatibility with quake.
        This is the justification used in QuakeWorld to enable support for fullbright skins. Explicit engine support for fullbright skins just means its less ugly and easier to get a fairer playing field (as it can easily be enabled by default).
        Obviously you can hack gl drivers or whatever to ignore vertex colours thus making all entities fullbright too (or just hack the engine, yay gpl). It really depends what sort of game you're after.
        There's really not much you can do about it thanks to all the engine forks+versions. :s
        Some Game Thing

Comment

using the last colors on the pallete for fullbright skins isnt the same
          thing as fullbright teamskins/enemyskins if everyone was fullbright white u could shoot a
          teammate
          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

The pak from the SQL league europe use to have fullbright skins.
            Never used that pak , the player models where so ugly then lol...
            My servers for the gamers:
            bigfoot.servequake.com / damage.servequake.com

port 26000 EuroQuake
            port 26001 EuroQuake Coop

newyork.quakeone.com
            Offline ATM
            fvf.servequake.com
            flanders.servegame.org / flanders.servequake.com
            Offline ATM
            newdm.servequake.com
            port 26010

http://bigfoot.servequake.com (EuroQuake)
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X