• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Bots but other Mods work

Hello Folks.

(My first post, so be gentle please)

I hope you can help.

I am trying to get the Reaper bot mod to work.

I have unzipped into a directory called 'rpbot'.

`-- rpbot
    |-- Autoexec.cfg
    |-- B08chg.txt
    |-- Dedserv.txt
    |-- PROGS.DAT
    |-- Reaprb80.txt
    `-- Skinspec.txt

I use the DarkPlaces engine on Ubuntu Linux, but when I load up the mod I just cannot load any bots.

Here is my command line to start the game:-

darkplaces -basedir /usr/share/games/quake/ -game rpbot -listen 16

I start a new Multiplayer Deathmatch game.

If I bring up the main Quake Menu for DarkPlaces I can see that the Browse
    Mods shows RPBOT as ENABLED.

If I bring down the console, the following commands...

*addbot* gives no error, but nothing happens
    *b* give no error, but nothing happens

...hope you can help!

I have successfully run other mods (to see if I was going mad) and they load fine, but for the life cannot get this (or any BOT mod to work!?)

Thanks for reading...

Regards,

Paul

Paul, I do not know if it is a linux issue. I just downloaded Reaper Bot v0.81 to test it on windows platform.
    I use only this shortcut: darkplaces.exe -game rpbot
    Then I started a multiplayer game and chose the start map because it is small and I can say for sure that deathmatch is "1" because of the ammo packs lying around.

After reading the manual and autoexec I typed into console: impulse 205
    Then a bot spawned and killed me.
    Then I simply pushed the "b" button and a bot spawned and killed me.

Then i also tried: impulse 208 in the console and 4 bots spawned and guess what: they killed me.

So at least with the regular shortcut in windows the current Darkplaces version from may 2014 seems to work with reaper bot.

Comment

Yeah it may just be that the OP just doesn't have "addbot" bound to the necessary impulse command?

I wouldn't necessarily recommend using Reaper bots BTW. Frikbot is quite good, especially if you want to play on a lot of maps... LightningHunter has collected/generated a lot of Frikbot waypoints for various maps. If you like, there's some more bot info at Steam Community :: Guide :: Deathmatch With Bots (on hundreds of maps)

Comment

PROGS.DAT

lowercase everything.
        Some Game Thing

Comment

Reaper is a good basic bot , but you would have to modify it on your own with better AI code for it to as competitive as Frikbot.

Yea, Lightning Hunter and I think Dr Shadowborg done some neat stuff with the waypoints and improving FRiks AI. I believe they have a page with the latest stuff posted but not sure what it was...

Originally posted by Johnny Law View Post
          Yeah it may just be that the OP just doesn't have "addbot" bound to the necessary impulse command?
          I wouldn't necessarily recommend using Reaper bots BTW. Frikbot is quite good, especially if you want to play on a lot of maps... LightningHunter has collected/generated a lot of Frikbot waypoints for various maps. If you like, there's some more bot info at Steam Community :: Guide :: Deathmatch With Bots (on hundreds of maps)

Comment

Originally posted by plittlefield View Post
            Hello Folks.

(My first post, so be gentle please)
            Welcome to the forum, Paul.

I do think lowercasing the files, like Spike said, might fix your problem, because Linux is case sensitive and thus when it attempts to load progs.dat but there is only PROGS.DAT it thinks they are different things.

It sucks that Linux still installs Quake engines into /usr/, that is a relic from when Unix was a multi user system. If you can't fix things any other way, you might try installing the darkplaces binary and the pak files manually into your home dir. That's what I do and I've used Linux for a long time.

/home/user/quake
            ~/quake/id1
            ~/quake/id1/pak0.pak
            ~/quake/id1/pak1.pak
            ~/quake/darkplaces_linux_686_sdl (or whatever yours is called)

and then you'd install mods into

~/quake/rpbot
            ~/quake/rpbot/progs.dat

etc.

Then you would run DP from the terminal like this:

cd quake
            ./darkplaces_linux_686_whatever -game rpbot

I'm just giving you an alternate way to install Quake on your machine.
            Scout's Journey
            Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Working...
            X