Port Forwarding (Desperate)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Port Forwarding (Desperate)

So I'm trying to play Quake with an old buddy, but we have been up for 3 hours together trying to get it to work. One of us hosts, the other types our IP address to join, nothing.

Here is my IP info:

Here is my static IP info:

Here is my router port forwarding info:

for most nq servers you need to put your server into the DMZ zone.
    the vanilla client often needs it too...

192.168.1.4 is your LAN address, and is not somehing the other person can use.
    your router should have some public ip display, or you can use something like whatsmyip.net or some equivelent site (not a specific endorsement), which will tell you what that site's server sees. your friend/client can then connect to that.
    nq listens on port 26000 by default (as well as numerous other auto-assigned ports, which is why you need the DMZ thing). quakeworld listens on port 27500 (for qw, you only need to forward that one port to your server).

I really ought to get off my arse and write some irc-based nat hole punching or something that doesn't need logins (or at least not the joke that is oauth2).
    Some Game Thing

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
      for most nq servers you need to put your server into the DMZ zone.
      the vanilla client often needs it too...

192.168.1.4 is your LAN address, and is not somehing the other person can use.
      your router should have some public ip display, or you can use something like whatsmyip.net or some equivelent site (not a specific endorsement), which will tell you what that site's server sees. your friend/client can then connect to that.
      nq listens on port 26000 by default (as well as numerous other auto-assigned ports, which is why you need the DMZ thing). quakeworld listens on port 27500 (for qw, you only need to forward that one port to your server).

I really ought to get off my arse and write some irc-based nat hole punching or something that doesn't need logins (or at least not the joke that is oauth2).
      My friend is not connecting to my internal IP address, I am only using that to forward ports to. He is trying to connect to my external IP.

My router has a DMZ page and asks me for a DMZ Host IP address. What should I do here if this is an option?

Comment

Yeah this is the part that is causing you grief: "as well as numerous other auto-assigned ports".

This also all sounds very familiar:

http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-hel...ng-server.html

http://steamcommunity.com/app/2310/d...1928362527592/

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Law View Post
          Yeah this is the part that is causing you grief: "as well as numerous other auto-assigned ports".

This also all sounds very familiar:

http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-hel...ng-server.html

From Hell and Back: Guide to Running a NetQuake Server :: Quake General Discussions
          Yeah, weird thing now is, I put my PC on the DMZ to open up everything, yet Quake still doesn't work. Friend says "connection accepted" then hangs, and when he attempts to connect, my Quake says "read error" in the upper left corner for a second, then nothing.

Even Doom works now, which I would think would have an even harder time.

Comment

Is it possible an internal firewall could be stopping the quake packets getting through?
            Mr.Burns
            "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
            WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
            Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Originally posted by houndstooth View Post
              Yeah, weird thing now is, I put my PC on the DMZ to open up everything, yet Quake still doesn't work. Friend says "connection accepted" then hangs, and when he attempts to connect, my Quake says "read error" in the upper left corner for a second, then nothing.
              He needs to use an NAT fixed client. DarkPlaces is NAT-fixed, for example.

Alternatively, if he types "status" or "ping" in the console when he gets the "connection accepted" message it *might* push, or it might not. If it does push through, it always will. If it doesn't push through, it always won't.
              Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Burns View Post
                Is it possible an internal firewall could be stopping the quake packets getting through?
                Yeah, we even turned off our firewalls completely even though we have exceptions for Quake, just in case.

He needs to use an NAT fixed client. DarkPlaces is NAT-fixed, for example.

Alternatively, if he types "status" or "ping" in the console when he gets the "connection accepted" message it *might* push, or it might not. If it does push through, it always will. If it doesn't push through, it always won't.
                Is DirectQ a NAT-fixed client? I think we tried Darkplaces before and had the same result, but that was before the DMZ, and for some reason, was not picking up his mouse.

Comment

Is DirectQ a NAT-fixed client?
                  Yeah, it is.

I think we tried Darkplaces before and had the same result, but that was before the DMZ
                  Anything you did before the DMZ doesn't matter and wasn't going to work, but I know you meant to say you had a mouse problem.

Try connecting to yourself through your "real" internet ip (i.e. not the 192.168 one) !

Like connect 66.55.44.33 to yourself via starting a second client (DirectQ, DarkPlaces, whatever).

If it works, it will work for friend. If it doesn't work, it will not work for your friend. Provided your friend uses the same thing as a client and can play other games online.

4 times out of 5, people starting these kind of threads will fail, but I suspect you are in the 1 in 5.
                  Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Working...
                  X