X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to forums, gots a question.

yay first post!!!
    Ok, so I got some questions....

1. Is it possible to run third party maps with freequake?

2. If the answer is no. Then is it possible to modify the freeware to run them?

3. Why is the freequake server so empty?

Define freequake, do you mean the Shareware? Or an opensource variant such as OpenQuartz?
    "It's called being awesome, maybe you should try it." -Bank

Comment

1. yes
      3. freeware servers are empty because everyone's playing full quake.
      e|------------------------0---------------
      B|---------------0^1----------------1----
      G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
      D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
      A|---------------0------------------------
      E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Mantan
        yay first post!!!
        Ok, so I got some questions....

1. Is it possible to run third party maps with freequake?

2. If the answer is no. Then is it possible to modify the freeware to run them?

3. Why is the freequake server so empty?
        #1 Technically yes, but it is it is ID Software's position that they don't want people using custom maps with shareware Quake. For instance, you can connect to dm.quakeone.com with shareware Quake because it has no monsters in the mod, but this isn't an encouraged use of shareware Quake in ID Software's view.

#3 Because we aren't actively promoting it.

To expand on the above, we are working on a viable solution to let someone experience a non-2nd rate Quake experience legally for free. It isn't done yet, but it will get done.

But we have a lot of irons in the fire and this hasn't hit #1 on the priority list quite yet. We are fairly new (site launched March 10, 2006 and we've been working on projects for about a year prior to that), we have a lot of mind-blowing things on the way ... but we are an all-volunteer effort and things take some time.

On that note, if there were a way you could compare and contrast this site from March 2006 vs. now, it is amazing.

We don't get things done as fast as we'd like, but we do get them done!
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

ID is opposed to it, does it mean it isn't legal or they just whine about?

Comment

It's really just the principle of the thing. If you want the full experience, get the full version.
            "It's called being awesome, maybe you should try it." -Bank

Comment

ID doesn't want players to do it and that's good enough for us because we want to honor ID Software's wishes.
              Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

3. Because the server keeps changing my ENTER bind. That's so EVIL! Also, It's CTF and there's already nicer CTF servers out there in which CTF Quakers would rather play at. The CTF community isn't so big anymore.

Comment

I'm sure if you post that you are in that server at a certain time that someone is bound to see it and jump in with you. It's summer and kind of hard to grab someones attention at times They don't always think to look at that specific server so give them a yell. I'm sure they can even give you some coaching if you need it.
                  www.Net-Tyme.com
                  Lifes a game.. It's time to Play!
                  Quake.net-tyme.com Pick your Poison.

Comment

Working...
                  X