Server Status page?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Status page?

As an old school Quake player (I'll never forget when capture the flag was capture the key), I was very excited to find the server list on this site after many years of giving my favorite multiplayer game up for dead. However, I tried to connect to probably a half dozen of the servers reporting to be online, but they were not. By what metric are they deemed up/down?

The servers aren't down.

What are you using for Quake?

The original GLQuake has broken network code that cannot establish a connection if you have a router.

You need to use a modern client like ProQuake, DarkPlaces or Qrack.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
      The servers aren't down.

What are you using for Quake?

The original GLQuake has broken network code that cannot establish a connection if you have a router.

You need to use a modern client like ProQuake, DarkPlaces or Qrack.
      Yeah, it's probably time for a refresh. I still have my Quake directory from my original install in the 90s, piled on with mod after mod. It hasn't been reinstalled since (just moved from computer to computer). I'm using an install of EZ Quake from like 5 years ago. I'll check out your suggestions.

Comment

EZ Quake is a QW client, that could be your problem. If I'm not mistaken, all the servers listed on the homepage are NQ servers.
        'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Originally posted by RoninTheOriginal View Post
          As an old school Quake player (I'll never forget when capture the flag was capture the key), I was very excited to find the server list on this site after many years of giving my favorite multiplayer game up for dead. However, I tried to connect to probably a half dozen of the servers reporting to be online, but they were not. By what metric are they deemed up/down?

I have pretty much given up on the game.
          Half the servers never respond, and when they do no one is there.

Team Fortress 2 is full of players...

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
            EZ Quake is a QW client, that could be your problem. If I'm not mistaken, all the servers listed on the homepage are NQ servers.
            Been a long time for me, a quick Google search makes me think you're talking about nQuake. I tried the installer from there, but it appears to be broken (missing a bunch of its files, and is very small).

Comment

Been a long time for me, a quick Google search makes me think you're talking about nQuake. I tried the installer from there, but it appears to be broken (missing a bunch of its files, and is very small).
              Not quite. nQuake is a QuakeWorld package of stuff that makes it easier to setup a QW client and get you in the game. When I wrote NQ, I meant NetQuake. My apologies.

NetQuake was the original source of Quake that id Software made in 1996. QuakeWorld was a modified spin-off that originated in 1998 with arguable enhancements. This website deals almost exclusively with NetQuake engines and modifications. QuakeWorld, although similar, is a different animal. They have different physics calculations and network protocols. They are pretty much not compatible (although some modern engines are capable of switching between the two of them, like FTEQW).

If you are trying to join a server listed here at QuakeOne.com, you will need a NetQuake client. These include ProQuake, Qrack, QuakeSpasm, FitzQuake, DarkPlaces, and several others. For multiplayer, I would reccomend ProQuake or Qrack.

On a side note, you'll see a lot of bitterness between the NQ and QW communities, but this really boils down to the "Ford vs. Chevy" argument. Both offer the Quake experience, and until you really get comfortable with one or the other, you'll hardly notice a difference.

@Davers

Hop on the dmtx server! Was just on the other night, you'll see a few familiar faces. You'll need the crmod though.
              'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Originally posted by Davers View Post
                Half the servers never respond
                What are you using as a client?
                Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

many clients contain their own in-engine server browsers nowadays (at least the ones that actually care about multiplayer).
                  such server browsers should be polling the various servers to check pings as well as querying player counts. this should give you much more reliable+useful information than website-based server listings.

quakeworld is technically superior (in a relevant way) because its servers can be automatically included in server listings thanks to its master server stuff. conversely, (net)quake doesn't have any reliable equivelent. this makes quakeworld servers lower matainence and helps ensure that there are many more servers listed throughout the world, while netquake is mostly only playable online in north america.
                  because nq+qw networking is mutually incompatible, as well as their mods, both branches of quake have their own communities with their own expectations and ideals.
                  fteqw+dp can connect to either type (with varying levels of success), ezquake(thus also nquake) is quakeworld-only, proquake+qrack are netquake-only.

if you don't care about the mod, then those hybrid engines can give the most possibilities. If you do care then it doesn't matter so much, just pick a client that doesn't suck for multiplayer that also has a server browser you feel comfortable with.
                  Some Game Thing

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                    Not quite. nQuake is a QuakeWorld package of stuff that makes it easier to setup a QW client and get you in the game. When I wrote NQ, I meant NetQuake. My apologies.

NetQuake was the original source of Quake that id Software made in 1996. QuakeWorld was a modified spin-off that originated in 1998 with arguable enhancements. This website deals almost exclusively with NetQuake engines and modifications. QuakeWorld, although similar, is a different animal. They have different physics calculations and network protocols. They are pretty much not compatible (although some modern engines are capable of switching between the two of them, like FTEQW).

If you are trying to join a server listed here at QuakeOne.com, you will need a NetQuake client. These include ProQuake, Qrack, QuakeSpasm, FitzQuake, DarkPlaces, and several others. For multiplayer, I would reccomend ProQuake or Qrack.

On a side note, you'll see a lot of bitterness between the NQ and QW communities, but this really boils down to the "Ford vs. Chevy" argument. Both offer the Quake experience, and until you really get comfortable with one or the other, you'll hardly notice a difference.

@Davers

Hop on the dmtx server! Was just on the other night, you'll see a few familiar faces. You'll need the crmod though.
                    Gotcha! I will give one of those a try. I've been a QW user since it came out, but I wouldn't say I have a strong preference. There definitely seem to be more CTF servers (which is really my jam...Creeper CTF was responsible for some of my favorite Quake memories) in the server list here than in the in-game browser I was just using in EZQuake.

I've never tried CRMod, I'll check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                      What are you using as a client?
                      As of late, EZQuake, but I'm going to check out ProQuake I think.

Comment

As of late, EZQuake, but I'm going to check out ProQuake I think.
                        I was asking Davers that, you already said.

Davers is having a problem other people aren't having, so I suspect he is using something not named DarkPlaces, ProQuake or Qrack to connect to NetQuake servers.

Comment

Originally posted by Davers View Post
                          I have pretty much given up on the game.
                          Half the servers never respond, and when they do no one is there.

Team Fortress 2 is full of players...
                          That has been my go to game when I am home. TF2

Comment

Working...
                          X