Question about internet play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about internet play

In a mod, what effects internet play the most? Keep in mind I don't know much about internet protocols, but I know a bit about assets, vertices in a model, think functions, the number of simultaneous on-screen entities, QC stuff mainly
    SuperDuper Quake 3.0

nail spam. 32 players firing 10 nails a second across a wide expanse.
    each nail will need to be sent to each player each frame. which is a huge expense.
    alternatively, lots of sprite effects can screw you over.
    cl_shownet 1; will show you the sizes of the various packets.

also, try to avoid sending reliable messages. reliables require round-trips for them to be acked before the next can be sent, so expect these to be laggy compared to other things.

doing things in csqc instead of ssqc means you can potentially completely avoid sending things across the network, at the risk of things de-syncing.

really though, it depends on the mod.
    use condebug with cl_shownet 2, and look for the large packets then try to figure out what's in those large packets based on the names of the commands that were sent.
    Some Game Thing

Comment

@Hondo ...

Kind of a continuation of stuff around QExpo time ...

Quakespasm Spiked would now be able to fulfill your needs of a classic engine that does stuff the GLQuake way. Has entity delta compression and such in the protocol. I'm just pointing this out (and wouldn't cut off the entity send size, like Mark V needed to, if there was too much action happening.).

(With one exception, the model verts limit is still probably 2048 which is what WinQuake used and the reason for FitzQuake using such a value (as it aspired to be a GLQuake version of WinQuake, doing fullbrights and overbrighting and such). But I gave you instruction on compiling a Quake engine and Quakespasm Spiked is pretty much about same level of ease. Func_Msgboard: Spiked Quakespasm Modding/Coding Help Thread )
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Nevermind, I forgot you used extra .mdl model textures.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

well what i'm getting at is what changes i need to make (and i'd like to make as few as possible) to get sdquake running over the net. so nothing is off the table
          SuperDuper Quake 3.0

Comment

Probably nothing if you use DarkPlaces or FTE.

Comment

Working...
            X