Shmack Shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shmack Shutdown

I always knew this day would come ... Looks like Shmack is shutting down.

Means CRMOD will be dead too, because that site is hosted by Slot Zero.

It's going to end up $100 short of staying alive, there's only 3 days left.

https://gogetfunding.com/2016-quake-server-donation/
    Rune Central • View topic - 2016 Quake Server Donation

I downloaded a copy of the RuneQuake source.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Not to sound rude or anything, but if this does fail, there's plenty of empty servers floating around. Surely somebody might be willing to set one up for RQ/crmod instead?
    e|------------------------0---------------
    B|---------------0^1----------------1----
    G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
    D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
    A|---------------0------------------------
    E|----------------------------------------

Comment

I wouldn't consider that being rude. The Shmack server has had a rich history of ups and downs and extremely long life. I remember in earlier times, when Shmack didn't have a grappling hook nor map voting.

It really was some hardcore Quake the way it was meant to be played.

Except that maybe you were lucky and found "Resistance" or "Health Regen" and might be harder to kill. Maybe someone set a fire trap under a healthbox.

And being able to rocket jump mattered! If you could rocket jump, you could take shortcuts that a newb couldn't to get to a mega health or armor.

And without a grappling hook, you could camp a little or use map geometry to your advantage defensively or offensively.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
        I wouldn't consider that being rude. The Shmack server has had a rich history of ups and downs and extremely long life. I remember in earlier times, when Shmack didn't have a grappling hook nor map voting.

It really was some hardcore Quake the way it was meant to be played.

Except that maybe you were lucky and found "Resistance" or "Health Regen" and might be harder to kill. Maybe someone set a fire trap under a healthbox.

And being able to rocket jump mattered! If you could rocket jump, you could take shortcuts that a newb couldn't to get to a mega health or armor.

And without a grappling hook, you could camp a little or use map geometry to your advantage defensively or offensively.
        once upon a time Slot said he would assist the DNS remaining active, that in of itself is relatively cheap investment. someone ask him

Hell, ask Mark for a hundred bucks he's got Romero giving away a one of his cars for free as a prize. TOO EZ bruh
        am I fixing it yet /sarcasm
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Mindz, a lot of people who play at Shmack, that is the only server they ever played at.

RuneQuake even on a different server, wouldn't survive that.

Comment

That I can attest to. Even years ago when Quake was more alive than it is today and there were more runequake servers than just Shmack, Shmack players only wanted to play at Shmack. If Shmack disappeared, where would they go? Even if there was another runequake server, would they go there? Maybe it just 'wouldn't be the same' to them.

But, if there is no server left... and a new server replaces the existing Shmack server, with the same DNS, it might work. It's piss easy to run a Quake server. You wouldn't even need professional hosting. We wouldn't even need a new server, one that already exists could be switched to run Shmack. We could have runes on 26000 and crmod on 26001. There exists a rocket arena server already, so that wouldn't really be nescessary.
            e|------------------------0---------------
            B|---------------0^1----------------1----
            G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
            D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
            A|---------------0------------------------
            E|----------------------------------------

Comment

never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by foq View Post
                But, if there is no server left... and a new server replaces the existing Shmack server, with the same DNS, it might work. It's piss easy to run a Quake server. You wouldn't even need professional hosting. We wouldn't even need a new server, one that already exists could be switched to run Shmack. We could have runes on 26000 and crmod on 26001. There exists a rocket arena server already, so that wouldn't really be nescessary.
                This.
                Most ppl will continue to connect to the same dns, never knewing the migration happened. Lots of cheap vps around, some as low as 3usd / year (NAT only though) but for 20$ you can get one and copy the files over. http://lowendbox.com/ in case of emergency, i can temporarly help. catch me at http://discord.quake.world/
                the most important before it shuts down, is to backup all files.
                never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                  Hell, ask Mark for a hundred bucks he's got Romero giving away a one of his cars for free as a prize. TOO EZ bruh
                  am I fixing it yet /sarcasm
                  You don't have an open mind. Or optimism ...

Here is an alternate point of view for your consideration ...

Comment

Some of you guys play there, donate 20 bucks man....Slot's worth the donation, we need 80 bucks. Runequake will be around for many years to come. played there for many years, and alot of you have as well....cheers

Comment

I think $468.00 a year is a rip off for a server or two. I can run 50 of them for $20.00 off Linode. Website and dns only a few extra bucks.

Comment

Done, backed 100%....

Comment

Originally posted by wicked_lord View Post
                          I think $468.00 a year is a rip off for a server or two. I can run 50 of them for $20.00 off Linode. Website and dns only a few extra bucks.
                          I think so too honestly, and the thing is laggy like crazy. Of course, it can be my fault too, but mostly everyone, I mean sometimes all the pings go up for days at a time. I had to say that, sorry

And the truth is, I was actually curious what was going to happen if the donation goal was not met lol I mean, maybe someone would take the mod off that old, dusty and slow server (and very expensive?lol) and finally move it somewhere else? lol No disrespect to Slot or anybody, but you know, the deep, down, lingering curiosity haha :p

The forum is nice of course, but when it comes down to playing, the service is ughhh honestly, again no offense lol
                          The gemstone of gaming is Quake, so load it up and play some

Comment

But anyway, congrats on the met goal Even though it's not great connectivity, it's still nice that it's going
                            The gemstone of gaming is Quake, so load it up and play some

Comment

No disrespect to you Gem, you dominated the server yesterday yet complain the whole time......I wish I had that problem. You have a choice, find somewhere else to play maybe?

Comment

Working...
                              X