No announcement yet.

Shmack Shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea I understand, no worries lol You do bring this to my attention quite often Jack and I do think it's funny in an ironic way hehe

But why should my skill be brought up into the discussion, it's the experience that counts. I am somewhat used to the torturous movement control, and maybe over time that has made me a better player....but why be continuously subjected to this?if an improvement can be made (for me and others)

You know there isn't really much many places to play. And maybe you mean to say, find somewhere else to live where the connection is better? lol... oh and I would gladly switch places with you, maybe the gameplay would be better.... but still, I know my problem with my own Internet connection (which sucks).... but still, it's a lagged server that doesnt play very well at all, honestly. I still appreciate all the efforts with it though
    Last edited by Gem; 11-21-2016, 10:16 AM.
    The gemstone of gaming is Quake, so load it up and play some

Comment

Actually I forgot to say, that my internet was changed, so besides interruptions, the speed is ok, it was my old internet which was slow. Maybe my net route is not so good or something. Anyway, I dont mean to post so much into this thread or make it all about me, but these were some of my troubles with this server. On average I get like a 75 ping but lately it has been so bad and lagged that I get a 100+ with spikes and it's not from me, but the server

Comment

Originally posted by wicked_lord View Post
        I think $468.00 a year is a rip off for a server or two. I can run 50 of them for $20.00 off Linode. Website and dns only a few extra bucks.
        Yeah, seems like a lot. Slot says it's on a dual Xeon server with 32GB RAM. Seems a bit steep for a Quake server, heh. That Linode looks like a good service though. If I ever need anything like that I'll keep that in mind...

@Gem
        Not sure what you mean there. Shmack is by no means an old, dusty slow server. It's actually super-overkill for this. As for the connectivity, I myself haven't had any issues at Shmack. I don't play there often though, but when I do it's always smooth.
        e|------------------------0---------------
        B|---------------0^1----------------1----
        G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
        D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
        A|---------------0------------------------
        E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Yea I know I was kidding hehe old, n dusty as in been running for a long time hehe (I still respect that though, it was really just a joke, like old running shoes, that went a lot of miles and gave you a great time hehe)

You are connecting from Canada right? some of us might not be so fortunate.. I was really curious with a host change however, but it won't happen now anymore I think

I ping great at rage and it plays very well too, so Im not sure if its something geographical or a technical issue here
          Last edited by Gem; 11-21-2016, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by foq View Post
            Yeah, seems like a lot. Slot says it's on a dual Xeon server with 32GB RAM. Seems a bit steep for a Quake server, heh. That Linode looks like a good service though. If I ever need anything like that I'll keep that in mind...
            I ran my server's off Linode, they never had issues and several player's can attest to that when I had quakeitup.com up and running.

$20.00 a month and they give you over 500GB of storage (I dont remember the exact amount) so just think how many game server's you can run.

Comment

I remember quakeitup! I can attest it played great and ran perfect, me and WL did have some great CA matches there too, awesome times

Comment

Originally posted by Gem View Post
                Yea I know I was kidding hehe old, n dusty as in been running for a long time hehe (I still respect that though, it was really just a joke, like old running shoes, that went a lot of miles and gave you a great time hehe)

You are connecting from Canada right? some of us might not be so fortunate.. I was really curious with a host change however, but it won't happen now anymore I think

I ping great at rage and it plays very well too, so Im not sure if its something geographical or a technical issue here
                Nah, Ohio. You probably have a simple geographical distance issue. The farther away you are, the longer it takes to send packets back and froth (higher ping) and the more points of failure there are along the way...

Originally posted by wicked_lord View Post
                I ran my server's off Linode, they never had issues and several player's can attest to that when I had quakeitup.com up and running.

$20.00 a month and they give you over 500GB of storage (I dont remember the exact amount) so just think how many game server's you can run.
                The cheapest plan looks like 24GB storage, but you could run a ton of crap off even 24GB...
                e|------------------------0---------------
                B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                A|---------------0------------------------
                E|----------------------------------------

Comment

I recommend fn WTFast GPN, they have a free trial. And it can be the difference that makes the difference, no kidding.
                  Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Working...
                  X