ASE Registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASE Registration

Is anyone familiar with the "All Seeing Eye" brower utility registration process. I thought that I could use the program as "Trail Version" shareware instead of purchasing the full components of program.

I have 7 days left and was not provided any registration information for shareware. Does this mean that anyone wishing to use this utility, has to purchase full version to obtain the registration key??

This doesn't sound correct to me?

That's how a trial version works. It'd be called shareware if it was. Trials give you a certain time limit in which to use the full software, and then they cut it off until you purchase it.

I dont exactally understand what you're asking...
    "It's called being awesome, maybe you should try it." -Bank

Comment

If I were you,I should uninstall ASE. First of all,because it sucks and it isn't always right. Not really.

Sometimes,it says 0 people are in the server,when there are almost 10. If you want a server browser for Quake (a decent one),try QView:

http://www.quakeone.com/index.php?in...ile&file_id=30

If you prefer,you can also use gamespy (which is very good,at least for the other games):

http://www.quakeone.com/index.php?in...ile&file_id=29

Or if you are too lazy to download them,try this:

http://www.quake1.net/

Good luck in your jorney! :d

Comment

Originally posted by Medic Rage
        Is anyone familiar with the "All Seeing Eye" brower utility registration process. I thought that I could use the program as "Trail Version" shareware instead of purchasing the full components of program.
        There are different types of shareware.
        • Allow for all options but cripple them with some annoying limit. An example would be a quake editor with a certain undo level or entities allowed. Something where you could get the feel for the full version but cannot do anything serious with it.
        • Allow for all the options but restrict the time you have to use it. This is the trial version approach. After a certain time, you are required to either discontinue use or pay for it.
        • Cripple the software so it only has a portion of the options.
        • Nagware/adware where it nags you a lot or displays ads unless you buy the full version.

Which type they choose depends on how annoying the company wants to be.

Originally posted by Medic Rage
        I have 7 days left and was not provided any registration information for shareware. Does this mean that anyone wishing to use this utility, has to purchase full version to obtain the registration key??
        Legally, yes you have to do this. ASE however adopts a nagware approach after the trial. Every 7 days you go over the trial it will nag you with a screen asking if you want to buy the full version. If you purchase it, then you get a registration key which stops this 7 day nag.

I would *not* buy the full version. Look for a different server browser. ASE is abandoned software now. Go look on their forums and you will see plenty of angry people because Yahoo bought ASE and now it's abandoned. They haven't updated the software in ages.

The Quake4 support is dismal. It doesn't show hardly any servers. Don't waste your money supporting a company who still accepts registrations but refuses to update their software.

Is there any interest in engine coders to create an in-game server browser like Quake3 has? That would be really nice. It would also be nice if netquake had master servers so an in-game browser could lookup netquake or quakeworld servers.

Comment

That's how a trial version works. It'd be called shareware if it was. Trials give you a certain time limit in which to use the full software, and then they cut it off until you purchase it.

I dont exactally understand what you're asking...

Bottom line is that I guess it is the way trail versions/shareware etc.............. is worded. example would be Winzip evaluation version similiar to trail version, however the Winzip that I have as a evaluation has gone on for over a year, with what appears to be unlimited usage.

I get the point and appreciate the response, I already have Gamespy so I will refresh servers to see if there are QW, Quake servers hosted there.

The other post pointing out that ASE is not that good is correct, I could never see that many servers after refreshing or updating list.

Comment

" If you want a server browser for Quake (a decent one),try QView:

http://www.quakeone.com/index.php?in...ile&file_id=30

If you prefer,you can also use gamespy (which is very good,at least for the other games):

http://www.quakeone.com/index.php?in...ile&file_id=29"

I tried Qview, but having problems running fuhquake-gl.exe from game settings options of Qview Browser, it found Quake, and QW on my machine. I pointed to FUHQUAKE as below for QW.

exe directory: C:\QUAKE\glqwcl.exe

Command Line: glqwcl.exe -width 1024 -height 768

Received splash screen because Qview was looking at the game settings options of Quake on my machine with command line Q95 BAT, and as we know, this is a dos 16 bit program, so I tried to changed to WINQUAKE.exe and it works.

Is FUHQUAKE supported??

I tried alot of servers and thought that I found some QW servers but will not run.

I also tried gamespy and it does not appear in games list. I attempted to add and I was unable to it is grayed out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

We have a quote feature friend, you dont have to copy what the person said.
              "It's called being awesome, maybe you should try it." -Bank

Comment

Sorry, I hope I did not offend anyone.

I'll ask again in a different way, is FUHQUAKE supported in Qview or do I need to run the lastest QW client?

I updated the brower list and there are not or seems that QW servers are few to none.

I am really just interested in plain vanilla DM. When I attempted to execute one of the servers that was FAA It did not provide what client only map.

I am assuming that the reason why C:\QUAKE\fuhquake-gl.exe is not executing is because the servers that I am selecting either don't support this client or QW needs to be installed.

Comment

I wouldn't use QView for QuakeWorld, the only reason it's ok for regular Quake is because a quality server list is provided with the download here.

I would use either the All-Seeing Eye or download EZQuake and use it's in-game server browser. (See Downloads -> Clients -> QW)

QView *can* be used for Quakeworld, but why do that when the above are far superior because they are going to be more up-to-date?

I'm sure if you ask around at Besmella-Quake.com, someone can hook you up with a no-nags version of the All Seeing Eye.
                  Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Thanks for the straight forward answer Baker..............

Comment

Working...
                    X