Coop _WITH_ Mission Packs on Internet (_NO_ LAN) with NAT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coop _WITH_ Mission Packs on Internet (_NO_ LAN) with NAT

After cooping with my friend through Doom I + II via Doomsday/jDoom and through Quake 2 with the original client, we started to punch through Quake (I) via fuhQuake, which was a hell of fun.
    The fuhQuake netcode (from QuakeWorld I'd guess) was the best around those games so far to be playable over a DSL (1000 KBit/sec up / 128 KBit/sec down (128/16 KByte/sec respectively) each) connection with one NAT-router each.

Now we wanted to start both Mission Packs, but to our disappointment we saw that fuhQuake doesn't support these because it is targeted at DM-play primarily. (At least "fuhquake-gl -hipnotic" doesn't work.

I read that all QW clients don't support them so we first tried the original WinQuake/GLQuake, but these had problems with NAT as no connection could be made, _EVEN IF_ the ports had been forwarded on the router behind which the server resided.

So we tried some other clients, based on the NetQuake code this time (ProQuake comes to mind), but these were very laggish/sluggish on the side of my friend (I was server+client).

We also couldn't use superior engines like Tenebrae/Darkplaces, as these were at the 10-fps-mark on the slow(er) PC of my friend.

===

So is there a good Quake port (engine) that has the superior QW netcode (or similar, doesn't need to be compatible to any other) but supports COOP play in the two _MISSION PACKS_!?! It doesn't need to have any eyecandy (and at least it MUST NOT HAVE Shader 3.0 stuff or Soft Shadows etc. as this is too slow again).

Remember that we DON'T play on a LAN but 200 km apart over Internet (DSL) with NAT!

Thank you for reading that far. Any help or even simple information bits are highly appreciated as I started playing old-skool-Quake again only two weeks ago and can't overview the sheer amount of Quake GPL Engines and netcodes out there anymore...

use this http://users.adelphia.net/~mindzx/WinQuake-IHOC.zip as your server

if you want FuhQuake style graphics I suggest http://www.quakeone.com/qrack or http://joequake.quake1.net
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Im pretty sure Ive seen someone asking this on a fuhquake forum in the past, and correct me if Im wrong here but I believe there is some files you can get to enable mission pack support in fuhquake, I will look around and let you know if I find them.

In the mean time have you tried Tremor this uses the Joequake engine (so the gfx are similar to fuhquake and hopefully wont give your firend grief, and states it supports mission packs.

Worth a go hope that helps a bit.

http://tremor.quakedev.com/tremor.html

Comment

Originally posted by Herrscher
        Now we wanted to start both Mission Packs, but to our disappointment we saw that fuhQuake doesn't support these because it is targeted at DM-play primarily. (At least "fuhquake-gl -hipnotic" doesn't work.

I read that all QW clients don't support them so we first tried the original WinQuake/GLQuake, but these had problems with NAT as no connection could be made, _EVEN IF_ the ports had been forwarded on the router behind which the server resided.

So we tried some other clients, based on the NetQuake code this time (ProQuake comes to mind), but these were very laggish/sluggish on the side of my friend (I was server+client).

We also couldn't use superior engines like Tenebrae/Darkplaces, as these were at the 10-fps-mark on the slow(er) PC of my friend.

===

So is there a good Quake port (engine) that has the superior QW netcode (or similar, doesn't need to be compatible to any other) but supports COOP play in the two _MISSION PACKS_!?! It doesn't need to have any eyecandy (and at least it MUST NOT HAVE Shader 3.0 stuff or Soft Shadows etc. as this is too slow again).

Remember that we DON'T play on a LAN but 200 km apart over Internet (DSL) with NAT!
        Try DarkPlaces dedicated as the server, requires DarkPlaces dedicated as the client. DarkPlaces will -- by default --- use DarkPlaces Protocol 7, which is an improved protocol.

Only DarkPlaces clients work with a DarkPlaces servers, so the clients must be using DarkPlaces and if you have FPS issues use this for settings http://www.quakeone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1123 (DarkPlaces IS very capable of high FPS).

I hope that information was helpful.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Working...
        X