Lag when 2 Pcs connect to server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lag when 2 Pcs connect to server

i got 2 pcs thats networked and i try to connect both of them to same server and both ping goes sky rocketing!! why? help

your network's router(s) is/are doing double the work. It could also be possible that the packets are getting mixed up causing wierdness but I can't say that for certain.

Comment

You have a router and not a hub or something else, right?
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Most likely it's your upload getting tapped out, try reducing your FPS that should correct the problem.

Comment

Heh, now that my brain is awake I can answer this question better.

You see, when you connect to a quake server with 1 PC in your network, your sending/recieving packets back and forth to/from the quake server. The packets use the server's ip and your gateway's ip (usually your network router). The router recieving the packets from the quake server will forward them to your PC.

Now when you use two PCs in a network, those are 2 seperate LAN IPs in your network. When both PCs are sending packets to the quake server, those packets still have the same ips (quake server and your network's gateway). So there must be a lot of confusion for the server as well as your router when having to deal with packets with the same information but different owners.

This is my understanding of it all but if anyone can prove me wrong, go for it

edit: here's a second opinion from a good friend of mine.

i dont agree with the confusion part, but i do agree that the #of packets sent/received is essentially doubled...also there is a good chance of collisions and hence resends
          Last edited by Canadian*Sniper; 03-07-2007, 02:18 PM.

Comment

hmmm... how would i fix this? :d

Comment

If you want two PCs to play at the same time on another server using the same router, then I'm not sure. Perhaps someone else knows a solution

Comment

useing a switch might do it.. no experience with that tho.. so im just guessing

Comment

No difference Peg. It's still the same traffic going through the switch. In fact a switch might be worse. God forbid using a hub 0_o

Comment

Working...
                  X