Coop mode for the single player campaign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coop mode for the single player campaign

not sure where to put this in the single player or multiplayer but it's mostly multiplayer and help so it's prolly best here.

one of my friends started playing quake again and she's having trouble getting through, I figured i'd help her out with a multiplayer co-op mode so we can brave the terrors together, but we can't get it to go, the RQuake Co-op sounds interesting but does it include the original episodes of Quake?

RQuake works with the standard episodes of Quake. If you have a LAN (you have a router, right?), just click Start -> Program Files -> RQuake and then somewhere there is something like "Launch dedicated server"

And then when that window popups up, a number like "192.168.1.102" appears (remember that).

Start Quake on that computer and the other computer and type CONNECT 192.168.1.102 in the console and you'll both be connected for a multiplayer LAN game.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Sorry for bumping this, but I had a related question: is there an easy way to let a friend connect to my computer to play some standard co-op? Over the internet, not a local LAN.

Comment

Easy ... not really.

You might consider downloading the RQuake maps (download) and connecting to flanders.servegame.org:26001. If you want to play the standard maps like E1M1 and START, type the map name in the console like "START" and have your friend type "VOTE-EXIT" in the console to affirm your vote and you can pick any map on the server.

If you don't have a router, you could try to start DarkPlaces via the multiplayer menu and start a coop game and have it set to "public" and have your friend connect, but he also must use DarkPlaces to connect to you.

Generally speaking, the way things are anymore with firewalls, routers, anti-virus and everything ... it is very painful to try to host a game yourself.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Yeah, I've been messing around... running that "Launch Lan server" thing obviously uses my internal IP assigned to me by my router, not my internet IP. Presumably I'd need to set up port forwarding or something on the router? I opened up the gateway IP in Firefox to have a poke around the router's settings, figured out the password (admin/admin, real secure), but I really don't know enough about this stuff to make the right firewal exceptions etc.

I can join my own server, so that side of things is ok, although it lags constantly when I play...

Probably just use flanders.

Comment

Best way is to use darkplaces as the server. In the quake console, type in sv_protocolname "QUAKE"; and make sure there's no more than 16 available player spots in the server. Anyone can connect now. Open up the port in your firewall/router which you want people to connect to.

Easy eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian*Sniper View Post
              Easy eh?
              No, RQuake + DP = no.
              At least for now.

Comment

Originally posted by RocketGuy View Post
                No, RQuake + DP = no.
                At least for now.
                You mean DarkPlaces as the server, right. DarkPlaces can be the client, you just can't serve an RQuake game from DarkPlaces. DarkPlaces can connect to an RQuake server.

Comment

i've been playing the original game with my g/f for a couple weeks. if it's just you and your friend, you really don't need a dedicated server. way too complicated for just a couple people goofing around. i just have qrack, go to multiplayer, and start a game. couple things to watch out for that i have found:

- start a tcp/ip server in multiplayer, but limit the players to who you know will be showing up.

- get your ip off of a website that tells you your ip and give them THAT port/ip

- people who connect can be on wireless, but the server shouldn't be. it's really hard to get it to connect.

from here, you should be able to play the old game, np. don't forget to find the dopefish! if you want more of a challenge, i totally recommend the supercoop that sanban is doing right now. it uses the classic boards with new monster abilities and gun/armour rules. very challenging.

hope that helps!

Comment

A mate just set up as described, and it worked great. Cheers Kaeser.

We had a crack on flanders last night, rquake is certainly different. So is supercoop, I had a quick go on C*S' server but the ping was unbearable.

Comment

Working...
                    X