Cheating on Quake online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheating on Quake online?

Just browsing around the web for general Quake goodness, I came across a couple of articles on how the release of the Q1 source caused a large spike of people cheating online. My own defeats online definitely aren't the cause of anything other than my own meagre skills (I've certainly not seen anything suspicious), but I was wondering if anyone remembers those days, how widespread was it? Also, how do the "cheatfree" systems that exist today work; how do they provide security on an open-source game engine? Surely any closed-source tools would have to be opened due to the GPL?
    Last edited by Alc; 05-06-2007, 05:05 PM.

Cheating online in our community (USA; regular Quake) is very rare.

There are only 2 real types of cheats.

1. Aim-assist, pretty easy to spot usually.
    2. Wall hacks or making "sticks" stick out of the player model.

ProQuake cheat-free has the client check the models and maps. Of course any security system that requires the client to be honest is very flawed and ProQuake cheat-free is false security. It was a help back in the day; now it is pointless and should be scrapped.

Cheating is more of a myth by really poor players at Shmack than it is a reality.

Back 5 years ago, cheating was a MAJOR issue.

DarkPlaces server has a feature making wallhacks useless because the server doesn't even make you aware of a player unless you should be able to see them. There are not many servers using DarkPlaces as the engine right now, but I hope there will be more in the future.

Bots are for newbies and players with low self esteem and experienced players can aim better with every weapon except the LG and shotgun, so there isn't much of a point to cheating.

There have been maybe about 10 players caught cheating in some fashion within the last year.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
      DarkPlaces server has a feature making wallhacks useless because the server doesn't even make you aware of a player unless you should be able to see them. There are not many servers using DarkPlaces as the engine right now, but I hope there will be more in the future.
      The Carmack .plan thing (or some other article) I was reading earlier raised this as an option, but said it really wasn't feasible for >200 ping. Would this also mean a reduction in performance for faster connections as well?

Comment

When you play single player in DarkPlaces, the feature is already on!

It doesn't slow don't things at all in any way that is noticeable and it only is the server that does any work. The clients don't do anything, they just don't receive information on entities that they aren't supposed to be able to see.

In 1996, they had 75 Mhz computers and their options were limited.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

It doesn't slow don't things at all in any way that is noticeable.

We are using 75 Mhz computers like they were limited to in 1996.
          Are you saying that the decision to include the player-tracking data was based on CPU strain instead of network strain?

Comment

I don't what limitations they had been then, but the server sends entity locations for players, items, projectiles and so forth.

Sending less of those based on what the player can see doesn't present any network strain, it lessens the amount of data sent.

I assume there is a great deal of code to support this feature that DarkPlaces has and I'm sure it slows things down, but the computers are so much more powerful today than 10 years ago and a Quake server is just a console and doesn't do any rendering, I figure the code is almost unnoticeably fast.

Comment

The processor power issue is a big part of the shift between Doom style levels where you were strafing accross football field sized area's mowing down scores of monsters at once to Quake's more claustrophobic levels where the # of monsters on screen would be limited to 5 - 10.
              If you noclip through the ceiling on a quake single player level you will see how the .mdl entities are made invisible.
              Qoetia B4 == 1.93Mb

Expo Booth '08
              !AXATAXA! == 355.24 Kb Want to take on Quake with only your axe?
              Hunting shamblers since 1996.

Comment

can't see how cheats could actually aid the player tbh, other than the wallhacks, player.mdls, quad glows, pent glows, megahealth arms, and eyes.mdl.

the benefits are pretty marginal as the first 2 cheats effect the players game enough to be noticable to an observer or enemy player, and kinda ruin any fun in the game.

the quad/666/megahealth models would only really have effects on certain areas of the game. The megahealth at crates on dm3 is easier to see. same as the quad on dm3 can be seen from below or around by pent window, both aiding in teamplay games, where team aren't controlling the quad (unlikely) all average players know the 1 min respawn time, so its aid becomes negligiable. the 666 could be easier to see if its behind a wall, i can't recall any levels other than the e4m* levels where this would aid.

All in all i can only see marginal benefits to the cheats, and source modifying as only making these cheats available to players wanting to have normal mdls detected.

Aimbots are the most easily detected, but also the most destructive. no player can beat a 70%+ shaft bot. but as said they are easily detected and mostly banned.

__
                other cheats are mostly for players will lesser skill that don't really aid experienced players, so have little effect on games. glowing grandes, glowing rockets, straight shaft, red nails etc etc.
                Yet I still beat you more easily than a hammer can beat a fresh batch of Rowntree's fruit jelly.
                The 300pingGOD ( july '98 )

Comment

I haven't seen anyone cheat in like 3 years maybe longer. I don't think it's an issue anymore at all... Although I've been blamed for cheating a lot... I think it's more that people are trying to get on my nerves.

Comment

gets in water.

gets out.
                    "

Comment

Originally posted by Perochi View Post
                      gets in water.

gets out.

WHAT? SO?

Comment

there are alot of cheats out there, pretty crafty people. Ive seen people set it so players have the "quad glow" all the time, so you know where that at almost always on the clausterphobic q1 levels. wall hacks are gay and fuck experienced players up, and there is also the classic spikes, but that is really eye boggling, kinda like a shambler head or soemthin in runequake. my favorite is the hack where you cant go less than 5h, fuckn bs hack. hahaha. silly silly monkeys

Comment

My favorite was the countdown for 666 and quad, which was visible in the upper left of my screen. I used that from '97 to about '01. Others were wallhack, aimbot (Richmark) and nohealth. Never heard of the <5 health, but i used nohealth which i got from a friend and we used around 1999-2001. I still have it if anyone is curious about it. I don't even know if it works now, cause I haven't played quake for about 2 years. Matter of fact, the last time i played was when I fired up the old Richmark bot and got banned at shmack. Fun stuff, but yeah- you're better if you don't use it (unless you're using LG only).

I swear I even saw noclip on a public server back in about 2000. Did anyone else see that? It was crazy. He would come out from behind the wall and kill you, then run back in the wall. Did anyone else see that?

Comment

there was a guy running an aimbot on shmack this week... i demoed him and luckily cherrie was on and banned him (she thinks, lol). but in 10 years of quake ive probably seen like 3 bots

Comment

Working...
                            X