Linksys Wireless Network Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linksys Wireless Network Issue

I have a problem with my Linsys wireless network equipment and drivers. Here's the issue:

I have a Linksys Wireless G Broadband router - Model WRT54G - and a wireless PC adaptor - model WMP54G. The drivers that come with the adaptor include this little software program called the Linksys Wireless Network Monitor. It's basically just like the Windows Wireless Monitor. If I install the driver for the adaptor but not the Linksys Monitor I get a hiccup in my connection while I play Quake online. Generally about every 1.5-2 minutes the connection will "drop" or "lag" and then return to normal. In the game I'll get the little phone connection icon and it will appear for about 20 seconds or so. Then it'll go away and I can play again for another couple of minutes before it drops again.

If I install the Linksys Monitor, this problem does not occur. My issue is I'd rather not have that stupid monitor program but right now having it installed is the only way I can play Quake.

Anyone familiar with Linksys products experience this or know how to resolve it?

yea, I said fuck this and got a freakn cat5 cable

Comment

Is your Wireless Zero Configuration set to disabled? I have had the same problem you are having, and disabling this fixed the issue. May or may not work...

Comment

I have no idea what Wireless Zero Configuration is. Where do you set/change that?

Comment

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services. Scroll down until you see Wireless Zero Configuration. If its not disabled, disable it. Hopefully that will fix the issue.

Comment

i use a linksys card and the monitor.... its a pain in the ass. sometimes, randomly, once in a while, it just starts taking up 500mb of ram and 98% of CPU capacity, for like 1-2 minutes. *bashes head against wall

Comment

I run a Wireless WRT54GS V4 Router

Great device to have!

Couple things I would check is if your not using any Wireless-G devices I believe its G anyway, try not running it in mixed mode or Wireless-G but instead run it as a strict Wireless-B which should still be compatible with your PC's wireless adapter. also make sure you don't put anything electrical near the wireless adapter I actually had an issue once where my real furry can would lay on my desk next to my wireless adapter and my signal would go tits up.

another thing is make sure nobody hacked into your network, I know it sounds silly and you probably have already taken security precautions but just check.
              While on the topic of wireless security, WEP(Wired Equivalent Protection) 128bit is more secure then WEP 64bit but at a performance cost, if you are using WEP 128bit try nudging it down to WEP 64bit to see if that clears things up. If your using WPA for security your best bet would be to use the TKIP algorithm.

another option would be to buy larger antennas for your Linksys ($45 at any super walmart) which would boost your signal radius
              Last edited by Phenom; 06-05-2007, 03:58 PM.
              QuakeOne.com
              Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
              Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
              Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

no way, you can get a booster antenna for 5$ at any discount store. I got one and it boosted my signal to full strength everywhere. One problem with wireless routers is you're cordless telephone. Make sure its not the same frequency, if it is seperate the 2 so they wont interfer with eachother(as far apart as possible). Also make sure you are not going through to many walls, but if it is un avoidable go through at the shortest distance as possible, the more of the angle, the worse the signal you will get. I highly recommend buying a lil attenna booster though.

Comment

It's not the strength that I have a problem with. The adaptor is about 10 feet behind me in the corner of the room (opposite wall of the PC, in the same room). I have no cordless phone.

I'm going to try what ORL suggested in a little bit and I'll report my findings.

Comment

Working...
                  X