Help with new server!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with new server!

I want to put up a new CRMOD server that isn't the classic proquake cheatfree, but does incorporate some other form of cheat protection.

I understand that the CAX mod has some sort of cheat protection built into the mod, this probably wouldn't work with CRMOD since you would need to add additional coding (something I'm not adverse to, but I don't want to trouble anyone either).

I also understand that there is some sort of wallhack prevention when using a Darkplaces server, could this be implemented with CRMOD, if so I would like some guidance in this matter. Thanks.

Answers to these questions:

1. I'm sure you know this, but I'm just explaining for anyone who doesn't. CRMOD is a mod (compiled into a progs.dat) and so is CAx, so you can't use them at the same time.

2. CRMOD is closed source and undeveloped. Therefore it is impossible to modify the source to add CAx's additional cheat-protection features to it. The source is not available so no one can modify it.

3. DarkPlaces server is impervious to wallhacks, but cannot run QCCX'd mods (these are some very non-nstandard and compatibility breaking "QuakeC" hacks) which is what CRMOD is (CAx has a little, but Rook could remove it if he chose). So DarkPlaces will never be able to run CRMOD.

Now ... we've established all the annoying facts. I will tell you what CAN be done.

First, DarkPlaces server is not quite ready for prime time -- YET. I've played some games on Whitehot and occasionally get disconnected every once in a while and noticed some little things that really bug me (^7's print after names and such). But I'm pretty sure LordHavoc can fix those as Canadian Sniper reports them over time.

In any case, CRMOD is effectively a dead mod as far as I can tell.

There is hope. Slot Zero has heavily CRMOD'd Rune Quake to the point that Rune Quake can emulate CRMOD almost exactly. If you want to see this, just go to quake.shmack.net:26002 with someone else and type vote-match (this initiates a vanilla DM game, no runes or anything else) in the console (there are a couple of very minor differences, Quads drop and the mega health respawn time is slightly different, other than that it is identical and since it is open source that can be changed.)

Rune Quake's match mode also supports all the CRMOD type of commands like timeset and vote-quad/pent/ring/vote-teams/vote-map (instead of setquad or whatever the command is).

There is a problem: Rune Quake can't run on DarkPlaces either because it's code is QCCX'd. However, Rune Quake is open source and in active development and eventually Lardarse and I may be able to fully de-QCCX it so it can run on DarkPlaces with the anti-wallhacking stuff.

Is that a complicated enough answer for such a simple question?

I think about this quite a bit. Quake sure isn't perfect --- yet.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

just wanted to say Thanks! Looking foward to your new DM server being put up! Im sure it will be fun!

What maps will it have?
      QuakeOne.com
      Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
      Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
      Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Does JPG flat out ignore requests to open source CRMOD (i know i've seen some complaints about his lack of current support to the quake community), or does he simply want to protect his IP (intellectual property).

Comment

Actually, it won't be going up anytime soon with the information Baker has given me. I was hoping to convert dm.clanhdz.com into this format.

Comment

I just had a thought, aren't some of hte crctf mods based off of JPG's CRMOD, and can we get the source for these mods?

Comment

Well, my suggestion would be this:

1. Get the cheat-free dropped from ClanHDZ now. Players who using Qrack or DarkPlaces have no options at ALL for standard vanilla DM because all 15 CRMOD servers -- except RuM's -- are cheat-free.

2. When a better solution is available here in a couple of months, + or -. Load that on HDZ.

I recommend this because we all know that the current cheat-free doesn't stop cheating (except for real newbies who couldn't compete at DM anyway).

And because the current cheat-free does not stop cheating, the only special feature of "cheat-free" is to ensure that Qrack users and DarkPlaces user won't be playing any DM.

Originally posted by PapaSmurf View Post
              I just had a thought, aren't some of hte crctf mods based off of JPG's CRMOD, and can we get the source for these mods?
              CTF ... there are 2 options.

1. Rook's CRCTF. It is not open source, but he develops it and it has very advanced functionality.

2. xCTF. Open Source and pretty good. Has map voting. Not as advanced as Rook's CRCTF, but very good for pub CTF. If you want to do matches, there is the "admin-lock" command that prevents others from joining. The source code only has the shareware maps in it but the registered Quake maps could easily be added into it (E2M1 thru E4Mx.)

xCTF runs @ xctf.clan-rum.org if you want to check the mod out. The source is in Downloads -> Source Codes - xCTF.
              Last edited by Baker; 06-13-2007, 01:52 AM.
              Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

cheatfree was dropped yesterday (tuesday)

Comment

That's great news and worthy of a news item. There are so many Qrack users and a good number of DarkPlaces users that have said they want to be able to play DM.

Comment

note: the new Darkplaces beta fixes the disconnect problem (hopefully)

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian*Sniper View Post
                      note: the new Darkplaces beta fixes the disconnect problem (hopefully)
                      Cool^7

You know!^7

I know of something else ...^7

That you might point out to LordHavoc^7

Do you know what that might be?^7

Comment

sorry Baker, All I see is White Font

Comment

lol.. good news tho! on both the cheatfree issue and dp-server

Comment

Way way back in the day, JPGrossman released the source to his Elohim server, which was a basic foundation for when he took over CRMOD (by crowbar & paul baker). Taking bits and pieces from that mod and crmod 3.0(which is open source), it is possible to quickly rewrite a crmod clone. The main use of QCCx was exctracting the client ip, for masking(.xxx), and to create a banlist. If the DarkPlaces server controlled multiple banning, file i/o (frikfile), and client ip. masking using quakeC extensions then yes DarkPlaces server could easily replace ProQuake as the server of choice. If we could get non DP clients to use DPp7 then this would open a door to another decade of Quake life.
                            www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Woot!

Comment

Working...
                              X