New Painkeep Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Painkeep Server

Just in case you were interested in something a little different I've noticed that there is a new Painkeep server available in Europe. The server is available at Flanders.quake1.net port 26002

Being a fan of Quake mods I have used quite a few over the years. One of the most enjoyable IMHO was Painkeep which was a partial conversion written by ID. It's based on vanilla deathmatch but has some enhanced weapons (such as exploding shotgun shells, bouncing nails, etc) and extra items you can collect for your arsenal including Bear traps, Gravity wells, Grappling hook (not done as well as the Runequake one although you can pull things towards you), Air fist, and Auto sentries.

Gravity Wells

Bear Traps

Exploding Shells

Autosentries

It initially had 18 or so custom maps (including ultraviolence, aerowalk and dakyne) and made a refreshing change from straight quake.

The bad news is there aren't many painkeep servers left but the good news is there are still some and even I do run one occassionally just for a few laughs.

If you would like to try painkeep but are not to sure how to use quake mods, here are some steps that may help you get it up and running:

1. create a folder/directory in your Quake folder / directory called painkeep

2. create a batch file to run quake adding '-game painkeep' to your command line. (Right click in your quake directory > select New > text file > call it painkeep.bat > edit it and put in your command line which will be something like :
    Code:
    wqpro.exe -game painkeep
    Note : you can replace wqpro.exe with whatever your regular quake engine executable is called. e.g. qrack = glqrack.exe, winquake.exe, darkplaces.exe, etc
    save your file and make sure it is in your quake directory.

3. Download Painkeep from QuakeTerminus or AQFA ( Pennsylvania California UK Sweden ) and unpack it in to the painkeep folder you created in step 1.

At this point you should be ready to play Painkeep by clicking the painkeep.bat file you created in step 2

When starting Painkeep you should appear at the 'hub'. Which is a large multi level room containing 18 or so teleporters which allow you to 'vote' for whatever level you want. So jump down find the teleporter with the map you want and jump though it. At the end of every level you should return to the hub
    Last edited by Mr.Burns; 04-03-2009, 09:22 AM.
    Mr.Burns
    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Some of the standard painkeep maps[table]

pk0
    Mephisto's Hold

pk1
    Prison

pk2
    Darkstone Temple

pk3
    Palace

pk4
    Obscured

pk5
    Masters of the Earth

pk6
    Suicide Staccato

pk7
    Battered Brains

pk8
    Dakyne

pk9
    The Stronghold

pk10
    Harlequin's Demise

pk11
    Derelict Point

pk12
    The Other Side

pk13
    Techno Mountain

pk14
    Painwalk

pk15
    Presence Of Death

pk16
    Giza

pk17
    Scorn

pk18
    Beguello

The weapons should be very familiar but use the '1' key to toggle through the extra weapons such as the Bear Trap, Autosentries and the Can 'o' Beans. As i recall 2 toggles to the Air fist.

The choice of strategy is really down to your own playing style and skill level, but as I'm hardly a Jackhammer/Polarite/Frenzy I tend to find usage of the traps and regular beans does help.

More technical information can be gleaned from the Readme but I hope this helps and have fun

Kind regards

Monty
    P.S. for those that have 'gone over to the dark side' and use Quake 3 there is a suitable version of Painkeep arena that may interest you along with a movie. Try here for more information .
    Last edited by Mr.Burns; 04-03-2009, 12:49 PM.
    Mr.Burns
    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"

Comment

woot nice job monty!

will definitely play a few games for good old fun sake!

Comment

QuakeWorld Painkeep

Hello,

I've had a modded Painkeep server up for years. Thanks to a fellow who goes by "Niborevoli" and his fine code it's a really fun mod of Painkeep, it's quakeworld however. See the changes here: Weenieville Painkeep Server Mod

Best way to play is to get nQuake (an ezquake package), the mod files, the mappack, and /connect weenieville.net from the console.

There is an 80mb custom map pack there along with a small 3mb vwep pk3 that will work if you use EZquake 1.9x or higher. Otherwise you may need to unpack the files in the pk3 manually.

Here's a shamless paste of the features that have been added:

Recent changes:

-Farts now do damage!
        Watch out for the quadded guys!

-Beartraps can now be aimed.
        You can now precisely aim the spot where you want to set your beartraps and turrets. If you want to sling them at a foe simply look upwards and toss 'em like a grenade! If you want to set traps at, say, the top of a set of stairs simply look down at the ground and fire the beartrap and it will deploy right near your corsshair. Tons of fun!

-Projectiles now teleport.
        You can now shoot anything through the teleporters at the unsuspecting fool on the other side. Anything goes except the harpoon, lightning, or bullets.

-Vwep support! Visible weapons: See what the other guy is gonna smoke you with!

Grab the client pk3 file here: http://sh.stonks.com/files/vwep.zip (2.7mb, extract pk3 in zip to \painkeep folder)

You must run EZQuake 1.9 or higher to read pk3 files. If you run another client you can open the pk3 and extract the progs and textures folder to your \painkeep folder manually. Check out the screenshot here:

-Callvoting of maps now (mostly) working! (Thanks to Niborevoli)
        -bind a key to "impulse 96" to get a list of vote-able maps.
        -to call the vote:
        /painwalk-pk (or whatever map you want to call a vote for)
        -to vote:
        /yes
        /no
        -may be some bugs still.

-Now with sound taunts! bind a key to "impulse 70 or 71" (Thanks to Niborevoli)

-Well pulls though walls. Beware!

-Server recorded Multi-view demos. (Thanks to Vegetous)

To get the demos from the console:
        /cmd demolist (shows a numbered list of demos
        /cmd DL <demonumber>
        -when viewing the demos your jump key changes the player you follow
        and the fire key puts you in free float mode.

-Wells and sentries now work in water (fixed by Niborevoli)

-The harpoon is now MUCH more user friendly. You can actually grab
        goodies out of the lava. You can pull people towards you and then
        axe-murder them! Thanks to Niborevoli for this, very nice!

-Beartaps are not so easy to blow off with rockets anymore. Stock up on beans!

-Harpoon and axe are deadly! "kiss my axe!"

-Sentries are user friendly, they don't fire at owner... mostly

-Inventory maximums are different. You can carry:
        • 6 traps
        • 6 sentries
        • 2 wells
        • 20 expshells (was 10)
        • 3 beans

-Nails from both nailguns are less wimpy!

-rockets are slower.

-airfist is faster!

-traps, wells, and sentries fling out further when you throw them.

-Gravity well does some very different things to people and goodies

-Beans give 150 health.

Comment

Bumped as the Server has recently been moved to flanders.quake1.net:26003

@Sh17: Wow! love some of the ideas there and like th way in which the changes seem to only enhance the Painkeep experience rather than change it to a new mod. Silly question I know, but I don't suppose there is a Netquake port of that so we can take avantage of all that modded goodness? Failing that is the modded source available?

Many thanks

Monty
          Last edited by Mr.Burns; 02-06-2011, 10:01 AM.
          Mr.Burns

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Burns View Post
            Bumped as the Server has recently been moved to flanders.quake1.net:26003

@Sh17: Wow! love some of the ideas there and like th way in which the changes seem to only enhance the Painkeep experience rather than change it to a new mod. Silly question I know, but I don't suppose there is a Netquake port of that so we can take avantage of all that modded goodness? Failing that is the modded source available?

Many thanks

Monty
            hah!

I caught both threads on google and I answered this post in the other thread accidently Too lazy to retype. Link to netquake PK mod there. http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-tal...html#post89628
            Last edited by 5h17h34d; 04-16-2011, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks 5h17. I'm away for a few days but I'll grab the files and take a peek.

+1 rep point

Kind regards

Monty
              Mr.Burns

Comment

Working...
              X