New RQuake coop pack... needs help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New RQuake coop pack... needs help

The foq and I are testing the levels the spooker has selected, but it's going to take longer than I'd like to get through the 50 levels. Additionally, one run of a level won't guarantee that we'll find a serious problem of some sort. So I'd like some help. You don't necessarily need to run RQuake to help find problems since the maps were made mainly for vanilla single-player quake, but you should at least play coop with another player for testing. Also, I will need screenshots of one distinct view within each level, since I'm making the map selection level (intro3.bsp).

Serious problems:
    - Obviously, the map crashing the program at any point. (Not likely to happen without the RQuake mod.)
    - Doors that "close behind you" forever but need to reopen for either other players or yourself after respawning. (This includes platforms, traps, or anything else that blocks passing the level.)

Fixable, but noteworthy problems:
    - Not enough spawn points for even two coop players
    - Exiting map tries to go to a map that does not exist

I've uploaded the map selection (with their readme's) here: mediafire

My notes so far:

(RocketGuy will need to add a few levels to the "doesn't exit to start.bsp" list.)

A2D2:
    - Not enough sp (spawnpoints)

ABW:
    - Seems fine

actaltrz:
    - Not enough sp
    - Bad door right after lava room just before a platform, doesn't reopen (possibly change .wait from -1 to 10?)

anoncal
    - Interesting level, seems fine

arcane
    - Will usually crash when firing RQuake's napalm rocket (alt for rl), joequake says "SOLID_BSP with a non-bsp model". I really don't see how it's possible that one certain level could cause this problem.. I waded into the napalm code, but I don't see anything that could cause it. SOLID_BSP has a value of 4.

Update 02/06/2010

BNT.BSP
    - needs sp's

BNT2.BSP
    - needs sps's
    - Interesting problem with keys: They are on movers that slide back into the ceiling when touched. Although keys are kept in packs when you die, it's still possible to lose a pack in the lava or on disconnection.

CARNAGE.BSP
    - Platform up to gold key cannot be brought down without almost dying in lava or rj'ing.

chain3.bsp
    - needs sp's
    - monsters fall off the level easily. RG needs to fix bug with trigger_pain, monsters that trigger effects can end up somewhat lost to players.

cjhsp1.bsp
    - crashes rquake, but not vanilla: too many model precaches.

coagula.bsp
    coagula2.bsp
    coagula3.bsp
    - These are on rquake already, apparently?

corpus.bsp
    - needs sp's
    - The last mover above water moves only once, and it's possible to activate prematurely. I didn't see how foq got to it. Normally you teleport from water on bottom to its entrance, and then it takes you across. Hookshot solves this problem, but is there a better way?

czg03.bsp
    - damn good level, but needs sp's

C_GOL.bsp
    - ok all around

DaMaul6.bsp
    - pass

death.bsp
    - not enough spawns (shouldn't the mod find closeby empty points?)

demons.bsp
    - there is a short and somewhat blocking gate at the last room that does not come down

dilcoa.bsp
    - foq says this is already in rquake

discoag2.bsp
    - this seems familiar to me, but foq says it's new
    - pass

disturb.bsp
    - ok

Dm1m2.bsp
    - ok

Still to be tested:

e1m1rmx_hard.bsp
    elsinore.bsp
    EvilExhumed.bsp
    fc_coag.bsp
    fmb6.bsp
    Fmb7.bsp
    gmsp3v2.bsp
    GOL_ST.bsp
    hdn.bsp
    jesus.bsp
    KSP1.bsp
    moonlite.bsp
    morbid_2.bsp
    M_GOL.bsp
    M_PALACE.BSP
    nastrond.bsp
    nesp10.bsp
    networld.bsp
    ne_empty.bsp
    oblivion.bsp
    PERSSP2.BSP
    prey2.bsp
    pushcoag.bsp
    q1tm3_hrimfaxi.bsp
    q1tm3_hrimfaxi2.bsp
    q1tm3_lev.bsp
    q1tm3_zwiffle.bsp
    RRSP1.bsp
    sadlark7.bsp
    sadlark8.bsp
    sadlark9.bsp
    scream.bsp
    SGODRUN1.BSP
    SGODRUN2.BSP
    SGODRUNE.BSP
    solfall.bsp
    solstart.bsp
    strong-hold.bsp
    terror.bsp
    tms1.bsp
    tspe.bsp
    tyrcoag.bsp
    Last edited by Zop; 06-07-2010, 02:07 AM. Reason: update

I want to look at this but can't what the name of the selector map is.

Do you have any screenshots of this?
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Zop View Post
      (RocketGuy will need to add a few levels to the "doesn't exit to start.bsp" list.
      I can do that.

A2D2:
      -Not enough sp (spawnpoints)
      Will add some in the code if someone can get me good coordinates for them.

actaltrz:
      - Not enough sp
      - Bad door right after lava room just before a platform, doesn't reopen (possibly change .wait from -1 to 10?)
      - See above
      - I usually remove them by .targetname

arcane
      - Will usually crash when firing RQuake's napalm rocket (alt for rl), joequake says "SOLID_BSP with a non-bsp model". I really don't see how it's possible that one certain level could cause this problem.. I waded into the napalm code, but I don't see anything that could cause it. SOLID_BSP has a value of 4.
      Joequake is not compatible with RQuake, RQuake uses it's own engine that is still protocol 15 compatible so this may be causing your problem. You'll most likely want to create a local server using this engine then connect to it for testing. Foq has said engine so get it from him.

Comment

Zop, those filenames really need to be made all lower case. Linux and other non-Windows operating systems are case sensitive.

Here is an easy tool to do this:

Inside3d Forums :: View topic - Lower case bat: easy way to "lower case" all files
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

The server is crashing with napalm rockets on that map, not the client. I am running the rquake server executable, so it's not that.
          e|------------------------0---------------
          B|---------------0^1----------------1----
          G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
          D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
          A|---------------0------------------------
          E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Well unless somebody taught the RQuake engine to report its cause of death to clients upon a crash (which they didn't) Joequake would have no way of knowing that the crash was caused by SOLID_BSP with a non-BSP model, which Zop explicitly stated it did leading me to the wrong conclusion.

I will look into this further as soon as I can get wqpro-r to compile in VisualStudio2008.

Comment

Rocketguy, thanks for Rquake - it is a very nice mod.

I noticed a few things in the original rquake that seem like bugs to me

-when you start a level with say 160 rox and 240 cells, if you pick up a grunt or enforcer pack of rockets & cells, it turns your ammo to 100 rox and 100 cells....

-medics can't put out fire and heal teammates that are on fire if the teammate has more than 100h

-some of the doorways are already open before you hit switches, making future parts of the maps accessible early.

-cheyenne complex can crash the server with lots of firefighting going on, or napalm rockets.
              Originally posted by Magnus
              Apology accepted.

Comment

I should say that I haven't done any research yet on the legality of re-releasing these maps. I assume it should say in each of the readmes if repackaging is allowed, and we should abide by that, right?

Also should say that I was able to pick 50 good, usable maps very easily using the quake alpha injector.

I made a Google spreadsheet for people's notes about what had been tested, but it doesn't seem to have taken off, so post map test info in this thread and I'll keep track of it.

Comment

Baker, there's no map selector for these maps yet (they need testing first.)

RG:
                  - Updating the map file with extra spawnpoint entities isn't too difficult... I was trying to make it easier on you (since we started doing this without really mentioning it...)
                  - I like the idea of removing the problematic doors entirely, yet there's still theoretically a problem with other movers, but I doubt we'll run into them.
                  - The crashing I tested myself on joequake on my own after foq's server crashed without a message
                  - The first problem tv is talking about first seems to be bound_other_ammo, but I think when players spawn on a new level, they have random values for their ammo, sometimes above the 255 maximum. I've seen ammo amounts go "below" zero and come back to 250's occasionally. It might be a problem with the parms and setspawnparms code...
                  - How would the teleporter in intro2 for intro3 be activated? Does the map need to rebuilt? Additionally, I'm tempted to remake intro2 just so people don't have to do two map changes from intro.bsp just to get to intro3. However. this would cause a problem for anyone who has the old version of intro2...

spooker:
                  - Indeed, I wondered about releasing other people's maps, but this is kind of a testing run... I think a real pack release would definitely need its own file... I could even put hidden secret credit/thanks messages in intro3.bsp, if needed.

Comment

I could even put hidden secret credit/thanks messages in intro3.bsp, if needed.
                    ya, that's what i would do

Comment

TV:
                      Originally posted by turtlevan View Post
                      -when you start a level with say 160 rox and 240 cells, if you pick up a grunt or enforcer pack of rockets & cells, it turns your ammo to 100 rox and 100 cells....
                      This is an ages old bug that I've never fixed for reasons unknown, you're not even supposed to be able to go over 100 rockets or cells. I'll fix this now.

-medics can't put out fire and heal teammates that are on fire if the teammate has more than 100h
                      Will fix.

-some of the doorways are already open before you hit switches, making future parts of the maps accessible early.
                      If you could tell me which maps have this I could look into it.

-cheyenne complex can crash the server with lots of firefighting going on, or napalm rockets.
                      I'm looking into this.

Zop:
                      - Updating the map file with extra spawnpoint entities isn't too difficult... I was trying to make it easier on you (since we started doing this without really mentioning it...)
                      Please don't do this, I don't want the maps in the pack altered from the originals.

- How would the teleporter in intro2 for intro3 be activated? Does the map need to rebuilt? Additionally, I'm tempted to remake intro2 just so people don't have to do two map changes from intro.bsp just to get to intro3. However. this would cause a problem for anyone who has the old version of intro2...
                      It would be activated by me removing the code that disables it. I don't like the idea of remaking intro2, I'll just re-enable the exit in intro2 and add another orb to intro for intro3 (Will put them some distance from each other and add a message to each to avoid confusion).

Comment

Originally posted by RocketGuy View Post
                        Please don't do this, I don't want the maps in the pack altered from the originals.
                        Yes --- Zop --- don't mess with the maps themselves. That's terrible precedent. RocketGuy made all map "changes" via QuakeC so you are not distributing an alternate version of an existing map.

Comment

arcane
                          I have determined the cause of this, there is a func_wall without a model, I will try to remove it in the code however if that fails we may have to remove it from the .bsp itself.

Code:
                          {
                          "classname" "func_wall"
                          "speed" "100"
                          "sounds" "1"
                          "wait" "4"
                          "lip" "0"
                          "dmg" "0"
                          "health" "0"
                          }
                          EDIT: In-code removal successful.

EDIT2:
                          Baker posted this but quickly removed it for some reason, I'm reposing it because I like it:
                          Originally posted by Baker
                          You could remake Intro2, but you'd have to call it Intro3 since the mapname Intro2 is already an established map. Then the RQuake portal to intro2 could go to Intro3 instead.
                          Last edited by RocketGuy; 01-28-2010, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RocketGuy View Post
                            EDIT2:
                            Baker posted this but quickly removed it for some reason, I'm reposing it because I like it:

/Didn't want to accidentally interfere

Comment

It might be good to allow voting for intro maps, and then keep returning to the last intro map that was voted... But Baker's idea sounds good to me, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X