Learn CTF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learn CTF

These two key features would make CTF accessible to new CTF players...
    A combination mode of Practice and Normal.....
    a new vote mode , like

learnctf, as an example
    it would act like
    normal
    match
    practice

-Have all weapons at start,0 ammo (CA players easily transition)

-Belly hook (as to allow RuneQuakers easily transition!!)
    -flags active
    -teammode turned on!!!
    -team mates take half damage from team mates (expect to be TK'd alot in the beginning!)

I used to be deturred by playing mods that require you pickup your weapons / ammo, and also the mods that allow team damage (TDM / CTF).

When I found servers that provided tweapons at start, I stayed there. (IHOC,CA,RA)

Some players might be avoiding playing on the DM and CTF servers because of these simple things. Growing the community in the future should be a big focus. Things done today, can have profound effect later. CTF can clearly use a "ARCADE" fashioned approach, so could DM. NewDM is the closest approach to an ARCADE DM experience i've seen in a long time. It turned the SNG into a beast,when you toss 200+ nails into the mix at its rate of fire.

Everyone is hell bent on playing quake "Their" preferred way. This creates a huge MOTE between these mods being accessible by others

These are suggestions for being pro-active in expanding our playerbase in CTF.
    Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 04-06-2011, 06:49 PM.
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Originally posted by mindf!3ldzx View Post

1.> a combination mode of practice and normal.....
    -flags active
    -teammode turned on!!!
    -team mates take half damage from team mates

2.> have all weapons at start,0 ammo (ca players easily transition)

3.> belly hook (as to allow runequakers easily transition!!)
    simplify the game so people can learn how to play the game easier...

1.> Just for the sake of PRACTICING (remove the scores)

2.> 'Phat' spawns would result in jumping in lava and respawning at base FULL where newbs would stay until the game is over. Using something like DMM3 (Deathmatch mode 3) would require you to go out into the field to get a weapon, though 'weapon-stay' is on so its always available.
    Leaving your base vulnerable to attacks, thus learning strategy.
    Also, in a real match you wouldn't know where your weapons are so, learn mode wouldn't teach you anything.

3.> Belly hook? hmm how about magic shoes so when you click your heels twice and u respawn back at base?

Usually a practice(workout) is more difficult than the normal games, so when it comes to game time you are more attuned to the challenge.

So the real idea is how can we make CTF more FUN to learn that will create better players when real match mode is voted.

a.> Reward system. Merits given to players that perform specific tasks that pertain to CTF itself. Sure Frags are a reward but in CTF the capture is the main goal. Base Defense, RTF, Carrier kills, Flag Carrier protection, reduce the scoring structure in LEARN mode to only count for these aspects and remove all points given for a simple kill.

b.> Objectives: just like in Team fortress, each player chooses a role before the game starts and the mod uses tips to prompt the player's progress. Highlight the route from base to base, or pathways to nearest weapon/powerup. Hook points drawn on the walls, for common spots where you want to learn to shoot your hook at. (just like trick shots in pool).

c.> Reset teams after each capture. Red becomes blue, blue becomes red.
    Every one respawns just like the start of the game. This wipes the slate clean, and creates each "round" a micro game where positions need to be fortified quickly and bad habits of running in circles become less prominent.

d.> Create a Quad alarm, a simple gong sound when Quad will spawn in 5 seconds, so people learn the timing of Quad better. After playing with a reminder, it will become second nature when there isnt one during a normal game.
    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Sorry guys I tried the just jump in there and go with it, that part just didn't work for me I felt like I spent the 2nd 1/2 just running around in circles lost in the map. I think a smaller map on just a practice server would help me as well as others, to at least get the "hang" of the differences in the hooks from one place to another,so on, etc ..... But I did try .

http://mysticcreations.yolasite.com/

Comment

Originally posted by gothiccandy View Post
        Sorry guys I tried the just jump in there and go with it, that part just didn't work for me I felt like I spent the 2nd 1/2 just running around in circles lost in the map. I think a smaller map on just a practice server would help me as well as others, to at least get the "hang" of the differences in the hooks from one place to another,so on, etc ..... But I did try .
        Anytime you want me to show you some things Mr. Candy, Let me know, I'm rather good at most parts of CTF. Mark, You as well, Im around most of the time and would love to help you guys become better at hooking/ ctf stratagey. ( as from when and where to hook in a fight/ to best ways to attack bases, to down to running quads.)

Comment

Originally posted by Don D View Post
          Anytime you want me to show you some things Mr. Candy, Let me know, I'm rather good at most parts of CTF. Mark, You as well, Im around most of the time and would love to help you guys become better at hooking/ ctf stratagey. ( as from when and where to hook in a fight/ to best ways to attack bases, to down to running quads.)
          *Mrs. - correction.

Comment

onsubject
            after playing CTF last night w/ the wife, the CTF community is like charlie sheen except its CTF, only one gear = GO !! There lies the inherit barrier between learning/trying CTF vs enjoying the entire process. Unless someone REALLY wants to play CTF, they won't jump into a tank full o SHARKS brah! I'm far from newb in CTF and last night Visine was pure hell to get past on "The Nameless City" E4M8,and for the record I didn't find any flaws in his Defense! Oof !!

offsubject
            Is that R2D2 in your avatar??

lol.
            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

(name thing ) it's ok thats why theres edit's

Originally posted by Don D View Post
              *Mrs. - correction.
              All in all the pointers (for me) are helpful, hubby's started watching my demos to help me with little bits here and there, and really once I sat down to think about it my "Quake" experience has gone in stages... 1) no online just the monsters. 2) I ended up playing rq coop. 3) Now I've been playing clan arena .. So really after all that, my playing ctf is inevitable . I made that post after my 1st attempt, no one gave me a hard time or anything like that is was more that I wasn't moving fast enough for myself (w/ the hook etc. )

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                onsubject
                after playing CTF last night w/ the wife, the CTF community is like charlie sheen except its CTF, only one gear = GO !! There lies the inherit barrier between learning/trying CTF vs enjoying the entire process. Unless someone REALLY wants to play CTF, they won't jump into a tank full o SHARKS brah! I'm far from newb in CTF and last night Visine was pure hell to get past on "The Nameless City" E4M8,and for the record I didn't find any flaws in his Defense! Oof !!

offsubject
                Is that R2D2 in your avatar??

lol.
                No, It my dog as a puppy next to a vac.

Comment

Mrs Mindz & Mark, may i suggest watching some of the current tournament demos? Index of /qrack/q1ctf/demos It may or may not help, but I think Mono and Frenzy did a good job of spreading teams evenly so, you can see the kick ass players, the assistants, and 3rd tier which I guess I'm part of? Anyways the "pillow" approach I dont think truely helps you learn ctf, cause if you start getting good enough to play people that are not trying, then when they try their going to bust your hopes and dreams.
                  Rambo[RuM]
                  I support:
                  Quakeone.com ..... of Course!
                  Qrack - Thank You r00k
                  Yayo Industries - Thank you frenzy
                  Zero CTF - Thanks mono

Comment

Originally posted by Q -Mark [0!0]
                    Hi all

Candy (she said I can call here c.a.n.d.y. hehe) you and me will start ctf soon I'd like to try e1m7 1-1 hehehe I will hehe!

Well just 1 comment quick about something to make more people play CTF... 1 idea for kids... Parent Control!! What I mean is something like for kids you put a control to play "paintball style" instead of guns and blood hehe.
                    lol I got a small taste of what was to come in ctf last night
                    and lmfao was wondering what I was getting myself into!!
                    btw, I'd rather get called by my name than something that would make your momma want to shake her finger at you lol
                    Last edited by gothiccandy; 04-26-2011, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Due to the recent increase in the requests for me to learn ctf (or my sudden surge in popularity as of here lately or the "sudden drop at ctf") , But I've caved . [yes haha I let Mr Mindz win this time. lol]

So if there are any players out there who are still wanting to learn to play we'll set up a day of the week & time. Those seriously wanting to learn or those of you who are willing to coach, please let MrMindz, or myself know so we can try to work things out. A reply here showing your interest or a PM to Mr Mindz or myself so we can schedule a day and time. Hubby said he would keep the learning server free of rapists and sharks.

Also : I've been asked by a few of the admins to add that there will be no hassling of the "Newbies". We are pulling together not trying to bust things up before they can happen, and if you are one of the ones that are "just that good" or "there to ruffle someones feathers" and are not willing to pitch in and help, you will be asked to leave.

This could be a great opportunity if we pull together. We will only be using servers that are not in use so that our learning, doesn't hinder any games or tourneys, and of course if need be we can relocate if need be. I would like to get the approval from the owners to shang hai one of their servers on those days

Soooo "guys" who's in???

Comment

ill help where i can...im not good by any means but new blood to ctf is a good thing.
                        Rambo[RuM]
                        I support:
                        Quakeone.com ..... of Course!
                        Qrack - Thank You r00k
                        Yayo Industries - Thank you frenzy
                        Zero CTF - Thanks mono

Comment

Great !!

ok so far we've got :

Coaches : Mindz , Rambo ,

Newbies: Gothiccandy (MrsMindz),Q-Mark[0!0]
                          Last edited by gothiccandy; 04-27-2011, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Q -Mark [0!0]
                            Hi all

Well I'd be interested for sure but I can only play like Tomorrow or Friday between 6:00pm - 10:00pm (GMT -5... Estern Time - NewYork/Montreal).

Please let me know like more for this Friday if you guys can make it!!
                            Well if no-one else is wanting to learn it'll be really easy to work out times.

Comment

Ok anyone able to, tonight 10pm central . Mark if you can make it it'll be 11pm your time..

Comment

Working...
                              X