X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monster's Quake Kombat Guide

MONSTER’S QUAKE COMBAT GUIDE

BASIC SKILLS:

1. Always keep yourself moving in the middle of a firefight, a moving target obviously is much harder to hit.
    2. Use a keyboard AND mouse, always. Using just a keyboard or just a mouse will not get you anywhere.
    3. Become used to your mouse sensitivity, so you can quickly “snap on” to a target.
    4. Do not just strafe randomly, use different avoidance tactics, such as circle-strafing. Most players usually strafe left-right-left-right. Vary your strafing and your moves will be much harder to predict.
    5. Know the levels, mastery of the levels is essential for good playing.
    6. Use sounds to your advantage, (you need headphones or surround sound to use this tactic well) if you hear a firefight in the next room, quickly run in and wreak some havoc. Or, if you hear an opponent pick up an item, jump, fall into water, or anything, try to predict where he/she is and pursue.
    7. When you are using the rocket launcher, DO NOT shoot directly at the opponent(s), shoot at the ground near them. You have a greatly increased chance of dealing damage to them with the rocket launcher’s splash damage.

CONFIGURATIONS
    Developing a good config is vital for taking advantage of Quake’s many unknown features that are helpful in combat and many other situations. Here are some commands that will help you while confronting other enemies in the Quake world:

1. sv_aim 2: turns off the auto-aim, even though this is set by the server.
    2. v_kicktime 0, v_kickpitch 0, and v_kickroll 0: These all have to do with when you get hit (or fire your weapon), how much you roll to the side, or look up. Setting these to 0 will help you in aiming.
    3. cl_bobup 0, cl_bob 0, cl_bobcycle 0: These have to do with your weapon moving around when your player moves. Turning these off greatly helps most player’s aim.
    4. cl_rollangle 0: One of the most important switches. Setting it to 0 stops your screen tilting while you strafe. It helps players a lot when aiming.
    5. crosshair 1: This produces a small cross in the center of your screen, helping you aim. (Bah why am I telling you this anyway, you hopefully all know what a crosshair is)
    6. sv_maxspeed 999: sv_maxspeed is the command that sets the maximum movement speed of your player. Some servers have sv_maxspeeds greater than 320, and if you don’t set this, you will not get the extra speed advantage.
    7. cl_forwardspeed 999, cl_movespeedkey 999, cl_sidespeed 999, cl_upspeed 999: I do not know if these switches actually work, but they are supposed to make you move faster. Set them for the hell of it.
    8. r_waterwarp 0: This halts the underwater graphical effect, thus making your vision underwater greatly improved.
    9. +mlook: The most important one of all, it enables mouse vertical movement. SET THIS ONE AT ALL COSTS.

Well now that I have told you all of these commands, you might be wondering what in the heck to do with them. Here’s the steps I take in making a config.

1. Make a copy of the config.cfg in your quake/id1 folder.
    2. Rename it to autoexec.
    3. Right click on it, click on open with… and select notepad.
    4. Erase everything in the document.
    5. Type in any of these commands you wish, pressing enter after each one.
    6. Save the file, right click on it, hit properties, and check the read-only box. This prevents admins from unbinding your keys.
    7. Load up Quake and you should be ready to go!
    Last edited by Monster; 03-11-2006, 09:08 AM.

Originally posted by Monster
    7. cl_forwardspeed 999, cl_movespeedkey 999, cl_sidespeed 999, cl_upspeed 999: I do not know if these switches actually work, but they are supposed to make you move faster. Set them for the hell of it.
    I've not heard of cl_movespeedkey, but I know for certain the cl_sidespeed 999 is very important otherwise you don't move sideways at maximum speed.

I'm sure most people would like to be able to move as fast as possible in all directions.

If you were trying to upload an image, I notice that the attachment limit is 39.1 K right now, which is terribly small and we'll try to get that changed to something more reasonable because I got confused in the attachment thread when it didn't seem to do anything.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

There was a big title page with a bunch of cool pics, but I guess it didn't show up. On the other pages theres also different fonts, and I use the QUAKE font sometimes. Trust me, it looks A LOT cooler on word.

Comment

You should add regarding the config - once it's saved, go to the folder and right-click and select properties. Check the "Read-only file" box. This will help preserve your config in case of accidents (unbindall or some server admin using server commands to erase it)

Comment

There's a lot of things he said there that I would have said too.

I also try to predict my opponent's movements and then I'll shoot ahead of them instead of straight at them in hopes that my bullet/rocket will run into them. The problem with this, though, is that I'm not so good with the thunderbolt, but I'm an excellent grenade and rocket player.

Comment

Yeah, I was going to include prediction in the more advanced rocket arena/dm skills. There isn't much to being good at shafting, except getting good mouse commands in, and practicing.

Comment

Does anyone know the spawn times for rocket launcher, lightning gun, and red armor? I think the spawn time for the RL is 20 seconds... I am currently working on playing tips for DEATHMATCH, next I will do CA/RA, and then RuneQuake. I might throw in a few more mods.

Comment

COMBAT TIPS FOR COMMON QUAKE MODIFICATIONS:

1. DEATHMATCH (CLASSIC QUAKE): DM is very difficult to learn to play well and master, even I have not fully mastered deathmatch, but here are some things I know.
                • Learn to control the MAJOR weapons, such as ROCKET LAUNCHER AND LIGHTNING GUN. Spawn times for the rocket launcher are 30 seconds, lightning gun is again 30, and red armor is 20. Whenever you take a gun, run somewhere else in the level, grab armor, kill enemies, and about 5 seconds before the weapon is about to respawn, start heading back. This way your enemy will not be able to get the best weapons.
                • Be proficient with the lesser weapons, boomstick and grenade launcher are some of the most important. Nailguns also can work well. Practice with the grenade launcher by finding out the best angles to get your grenade in your enemy’s face. If you have good boomstick aim, you can duck in and out of corners and slowly snip away at your enemy’s life.
                • If you have a reasonable amount of rockets, always shoot a rocket behind a corner you have just turned. Many people are quite stupid and will walk right smack into your freshly fired rocket. Use grenades like this also, bounce them off of walls and onto platforms where people are. Grenade “spamming” as so this technique is called, claims many of your opponents’ lives. Shoot grenades into areas where people often go such as rocket launcher rooms, armor rooms, etc. Doing this will rack up the bodies.
                • Take different routes: Don’t always use the same route to get to an area. Soon your enemies will catch on to your usual pathways and fire rockets there regularly.
                • When you get the quad, always use shaft if you have it. Usually one hit from the shaft instantly eliminates the opposing player. You have a much greater chance of hitting an enemy with the shaft than with the rocket launcher. If there are multiple enemies in one room, however, use a rocket to blow them all into chunky kibbles of gore =)
                • If you get the pentagram of protection, do not stop moving. If you get hit while you have pentagram, your health will not be affected, but your armor will. So do not shoot yourself unless you need to rocket-jump while you have the pent.
                • Use sounds to your advantage, this is one of the most important and basic skills that a player learns. As you grow more advanced, you will learn to use sounds better and hunt down your enemy. If you hear someone pick up ammo, a weapon, armor, go through a teleporter, or if you hear a big firefight in the next room, go in and wreak some havoc. If you hear someone making quad or pent noises, RUN!
                • Keep in mind that a person with quad is still very vulnerable. When you see the brightness of an approaching person with quad, fire rockets or grenades. If you fire them one after the other, you have a great chance of killing the quad user.
                Last edited by Monster; 03-11-2006, 05:46 PM.

Comment

I might have forgotten to add some things, if you have any suggestions please tell them to me so I can add them. Thanks.

Comment

2. ROCKET ARENA (RA): This is the most important mod to play. Most of the vital skills in raw combat come from this section. You will use the skills you learn by playing RA in every quake game. Pay close attention here, and be sure to practice with someone.
                    • Use prediction. Do not just shoot straight at your enemy, shoot to the side, where the enemy will most likely strafe. If you are lucky, you will get a direct hit. When you learn your opponent’s playing style (I will talk about this in depth later on) you can use this skill even better.
                    • Adapt to your opponent’s playing style. Some players strafe more to the right than others, or more to the left. Some strafe left-right-left-right. Good players vary their movements. Once you become more familiar with how your enemy moves, you can shoot with greater accuracy.
                    • Practice with the lightning gun. In the modern version of RA, you always have 30 cells, which is more than enough to kill an opponent easily, if you have good shaft skills. Adjusting your mouse sensitivity to suit your needs will help you greatly with learning to use the lightning gun better. Here are some things that can help you with getting a good mouse sensitivity. You want a sensitivity that’s fairly quick and doesn’t require much wrist movement, but not one that’s too slow (you have to move your wrist a lot) or too fast (one little twitch makes you move really quick).
                    • Do not strafe the same ways. A good opponent will catch on to your strafing and destroy you quickly. Vary your strafing by going left-right-right-right-left-left-right, etc. instead of just left-right-left-right. You can also use different strafing techniques, such as zig-zagging, or circle-strafing. On big RA levels, you can see your opponent’s rocket coming at you and dodge appropriately.
                    • Finish your opponent off with a lesser weapon. Usually about three hits from a RL means the opponent is low on health. Switch to the boomstick and finish them off. The LG also works great for this if you have enough ammunition left. If you do not have too good aim with the boomstick yet, use the super nailgun, because of it’s wide nail spray. It is too hard to hit an opponent with another rocket when you could just get them with a few boomstick shots.
                    • When you blast an enemy up into the air, don’t just wait until they fall back down. Shaft them while they are in the air. If you blast them in the air while they are against a wall, you can shoot the wall with a rocket. Another thing you can do if you are out of cells, is fire a rocket on the ground just at the right moment, so that when your opponent lands, it will smack them right into the face. Don’t shoot a rocket into the air, there is very little chance that it will hit your target.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster
                      2. ROCKET ARENA (RA): This is the most important mod to play.
                      Yeah, you can learn more from rocket arena in a day than playing most other mods for 2 years. It's amazing what it can do for your aim and defensive skills.
                      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

When I finish this whole guide, can I just e-mail the WORD document to an admin so they can put it up on the site? It looks a ton cooler on Microsoft WORD with all the pictures and font things.

Comment

Yeah, and then we can figure it out or convert it to a PDF or something.

Comment

Does anyone know exactly how to use LOC files (and where to put them in your Quake folder) while playing ClanArena? I'm currently writing the ClanArena section, and I do not know anything about how to use those.

Comment

Yeah, for ProQuake put them in /quake/id1/locs

Then use things like %L or %A or %H in your say-team expression, like "say-team %L I have %H health and %A armor."

Since I'm not big on team games, that's about the limit of my knowledge in that department.

Comment

Working...
                              X