No announcement yet.

Monster's Quake Kombat Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3. CLANARENA (CA): This modification is like rocket arena, with all weapons and unlimited ammo, and it is usually played on only one level, DM3 (the abandoned base). No weapons, power-ups health, or any items spawn here. This is a team based mod, and if you are on a team, you need good teamwork skills to stand a chance. Most of the highly skilled players in the QuakeLands play on these servers.
    • Know the map DM3, and all of the shortcuts and paths. Strategy is also a major factor in Clan Arena.
    • ROCKETJUMP!!!! In Clan Arena, when you fire a rocket to try and hurt yourself, no damage is inflicted. Therefore, you must use rocket jumping to your advantage. You can use rocket jumping off of walls and use the bunny-hopping technique so you can gain incredible speed and rip your opponent to shreds before he/she even knows what is happening. Also rocket jump to take shortcuts to areas and cut your opponents off. It is amazing how rocket jumps can help you.
    • Know your underwater skills. In DM3, there is one underwater area where lots of firefights take place. When you are underwater, STAY AWAY FROM WALLS! If you are close to a pillar or the floor, your opponent can shoot the pillar and the splash damage will hurt you. You have a much lesser chance of being hit when you stay away from all walls. The rocket launcher is also not the most effective weapon while submerged. The boomstick, super nailgun, buckshot (especially when up close to your enemy) and the grenade launcher all work much better underwater. Since players move A LOT slower underwater, it is much easier to nail them a few times with the boomstick. BIND A KEY TO swim up and swim down. Most players do not have a swim down key (swimming up is the same as pressing the jump key). If you can not swim down, your evasive skills will be greatly reduced. A method of getting out of the water while in the middle of the firefight, is to rocketjump off of one of the pillars in DM3 and land on the lower bridge.
    • When a bunch of players are underwater, it is much better to stay above the water. You can get eaten up very easy if you jump right in the middle of a firefight. Stay above water and lob grenades and rockets in the water to damage your opponent. Whenever a player’s head pops up above the water, immediately shaft him. This can easily kill an opponent.
    • Know your team skills. When you are in a team, always listen to the team chat in case you lose where your teammate is. Staying close together with your teammate is vital. This way you can dominate one person easily with two players. Always help your teammates, pretend it is a life or death situation. Be sure to use your LOC files for this, which I will explain next. If you communicate well enough, you can even execute complicated strategies (like coming in from two sides to corner an enemy).
    • Be quick in CA. Some of the fights can be very intense, never get lazy and lose your bearings.
    • Use LOC files, many skilled players use these. LOC files tell your location at the level. At first it may seem annoying of all the team chat flying everywhere, but it is very important to read it. Here are the steps in setting up and using LOC files: (these ONLY work in proquake)
    1. Download loc files, preferably DM3.loc.
    2. Put them in Quake/id1/locs.
    3. Now bind it like, bind x “say_team %l with %h health and %a armor”
    4. While on a CA server and in a team game, try to hit the key you bound that too every time you enter a new area.
    5. It will say (Monster): Mound with 100 health and 200 armor. It’ll only say "somewhere" if you don’t have the LOCS installed properly.

Comment

I don't know so much about ClanArena, if I left out anything important or any tidbits that'll help, tell me please. I will include everyone in the credits that helps me out, including Baker.

Comment

4. RUNEQUAKE (RQ): Currently the most popular modification. Apply all of your DM and, of course, RA skills here. The only major skills you will have to learn here are grappling hook skills and some rune skills.
        • Grappling Hook: However much you hate this tool, it is ESSENTIAL to use it for victory in RuneQuake, unless you are an extremely good ground player. You can also be more of a hook player, and not use the ground much. It is important to know that when you hook to a wall, don’t keep holding down the hook key, release it a little bit so your enemy cannot just hit the wall and damage you. This way you are suspended in mid-air for a little bit and it will be very difficult for your enemy to hit you. Try not to hook too close to walls, and you can be almost an unstoppable hooker. It can be used for moving about the level extremely fast, and is great for escaping from tight situations that would be otherwise impossible on ground. Its main use is for access to areas that are difficult to access on ground. When you get the pent in runequake, aim the hook at your enemy so it latches on to he/she and (preferably) shaft away. This way you have an easy target when hooked onto someone. Here is the technique I use that lets you move extremely fast with the hook. It works in the same way as bunny-hopping. Here is the demo: While you are engaged in a hook-battle with someone (both of you are using the hook and aiming rockets at each other) Look where your enemy grapples. When you see that spiky purple ball on the wall, SHOOT at it. This way you can hurt your enemy. If you are greatly skilled in this, you can know that when an enemy hooks, you can see the chain, and thus whip around your mouse really fast and shoot to where you predict the hook will land. This way you can get direct hits. This is how people think I am so “bot-like”. If you are a really skilled LG (lightning gun) user, you will not even have to use rockets, just shaft the enemy out of the air while in a hook-battle, although this can be quite difficult to do, I (and other skillful players) can pull it off. Remember, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, and… PRACTICE so you can become familiar with using the grappling hook.
        • Runes: USE THESE. They help more than you think. I usually do not use the runes that do not have much “strength” to them, such as BLINK, RUNE OF DUAL RECALL, etc. When you use traps, be SURE to REMEMBER where you put them. Especially if you put them after a teleporter or in a spawn spot, or onto a place where an item spawns. (I do not even use trap runes much because I always end up running into my own traps). I will end this section here, and not go in depth with the individual runes, because I heard that Zop is going to be making a much more in depth Rune Quake guide.
        • Use all of your DM (and RA obviously) skills here, except for the ones about controlling the weapons, because most Rune servers have weapon stay on.

Comment

I just made all of the demos, and inserted them into the WORD document.(they don't show up in here, of course) They are all in the sections of the guide that they are most required...
          Last edited by Monster; 03-14-2006, 07:05 PM.

Comment

I am nearly done with the guide, I should be finished with it by tommorow. Baker, what is your e-mail address? I need to e-mail you the WORD document when I'm done. I will add extra pictures in and I have put in a watermark of a shambler, a cool background, and other interesting (hopefully) stuff.

Right now I'm working on the 1 versus 1 section.

I also am going to make a Table Of Contents so people can scan through it easily, and an Index, so people can look for words that they need help on.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster
              I need to e-mail you the WORD document when I'm done.
              Check private messages. Eventually it will be baker -at- Quakeone.com, but I don't think that works right now.
              Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Baker, hop on IM sometime and message me so I can set that up for you...

Comment

1 VERSUS 1 SKILLS
                  • One player fighting another. A true test of who is the most skilled. For this method of gaming, you must be truly determined to be the victor. Use everything and all that you have learned to annihilate your opponent. Along with a few new techniques and skills you will discover now.
                  • Use SOUNDS. Sounds are the most important element in 1-on-1 Quake games. Every time you hear your opponent move, guess what? He/She just gave away their position. Use it to your advantage. If you hear them fall from a ledge, run in and attack, if you hear them go through a teleporter, pursue, if you hear them pick up ammo/weaponry, follow.
                  • BE STEALTHY. This is another vital skill. Do not pick up health or ammo that you do not have to pick up. Try not to accidentally run into a weaker weapon, it makes noise. I have also heard that if you are going down a staircase and look down while you are going down, you will not make any noise. Every little noise you make brings your opponent one step closer to killing you.
                  • Show your opponent NO MERCY. When they respawn, make sure that it is VERY hard for them to pick up a good weapon. Block them off at every path and annihilate them quickly.
                  • Use sounds to trick your enemy. Shooting against a wall may make your opponent think you are in that area, but come in another way and you will catch your opponent off guard.
                  • Know your opponent’s “vital signs”. When your enemy starts running off in the middle of a battle, immediately pursue them. This most likely means that your opponent is low on health or ammo. If, when you try following your enemy, they shoot grenades/rockets back at you, try a different route and cut them off. Always GO IN for the kill. But, beware, if your opponent is a smart one, they could just be doing this to trick you. This is not likely the case most times.

================================================== =====
                  This is the last part. Now I just need to make the Table Of Contents and maybe an Index, and I shall be complete...

Comment

Small sidenote, cl_movespeedkey is how much to multiply your speed by if the run key is down (+speed). I think the default value is 2. With always run on, it doesn't matter.
                    Likewise, cl_anglespeedkey is how much to multiply your turning by while running if you're using the keyboard to turn.

sv_maxspeed, on the server, sets the maximum player speed in any direction.
                    cl_forwardspeed, cl_sidespeed, cl_backspeed are client side and will be capped on the server with sv_maxspeed. So if you have 999 on all the cl_*speed variables, you'll always be going as fast as the server will allow.

Comment

(go to the menu and turn off always run)
                      cl_forwardspeed 200
                      cl_sidespeed 200
                      cl_backspeed 200
                      +speed

There is a big difference between always run and holding down shift to run.

Always run require acceleration
                      +speed maintains constant max speed
                      why 200? because 400 turns on always run by default. Besides +speed multiplies that number by 2 anyways.

Comment

Eh, cool. I think always run. Is . better.?

Comment

if you look at the source, it's not (but there isn't a HUGE diffy). what I mentioned above will keep you at max speed and won't have any acceleration backup where as ALWAYS RUN (400) has to build up speed till it's maxed.

just my two cents on this "how you should play the game" thread

Comment

Working...
                          X