X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clan Arena X site

The Clan Arena X mod now has a site.

http://www.quakeone.com/cax

Clan Arena X is maintained by Bam and the code was derived from a prototype from Rook.

Phenom has been running it at Bomber (bomber.ironrocket.com) and Bam aggressively debugged the mod to it's current outstanding form.

It has numerous outstanding features and can be configured to be exactly like DM3 on a traditional CA+ server (if one choose), but it can also run non-DM3 maps without crashing like sanity, ultrav, etc.

It also has a great airshot and FFA mode, among other things like the freelook toggleable eyecam observer system.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Cool, sure it's bug-free, it doesn't crash.... maybe you should include a note that it seems to use evil QCCX code and WILL crash on well-modified engines :p

Comment

I know it will compile using FrikQCC 2.5

The IP masking code is unlikely to be compatible with heavily modified engines like DarkPlaces, but I think that would be the only code in this mod that would need to be changed.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

True, u can streamline it for DP, but for the most part, frikqcc and qccx are the only compilers that support it, though it runs on proquake compatible servers, anything else and u need custom clients to connect
        I am interested to make it DP specific and use DP's protocol, but i just HATE dp's explosions ;P (just kidding)
        Dark Places is a nice mod friendly engine, but not user friendly engine oh and btw DP is so sexxy my wife gets jealous!
        www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Yeah, this does make an interesting discussion.

ProQuake is the only reliable server, aside from squake-ihoc which might see some more use (more "character", colors 14/15, server side ip masking, name change/color change spam controls), that all clients can connect to at the moment.

DP has some better protocols, but only DP can connect to it when those protocols are being used. DP is GL, and I'd estimate 15%-20% of the player base are "WinQuakey types" (by choice or circumstances) and honestly, I get nuked in DarkPlaces whenever rockets explode on screen and I can't seem to find a setting that stops that. Yeah, my video card isn't the greatest, but I can get 225 FPS in JoeQuake or QRack, but cap it at 120 for smoothness.

It's a "stuck between the moon and New York city" thing. It's ProQuake specific, but there are no alternatives and even if DP were enabled for other clients to connect, it would be the old protocol and I don't see an advantage in that (and mods would have to be written, and testing would have to be done, etc., etc.).

It's Bam's page and Bam uses QCCX. He could have said FrikQCC 2.5, but it wouldn't change the fact the mod uses QCCX "hacks" for the IP masking. If he said "I use FrikQCC 2.5" and that was on the page, would the truth be any different? The code still uses QCCX "hacks".

And it doesn't look like ProQuake will see any updates any time soon, although it seems like everyone returns to Quake eventually (heheh :d ).

Funny world! :d :d :d

But tomorrow doesn't necessarily resemble yesterday, the world is weird that way.

Comment

Working...
          X