Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanilla Deathmatch - Grr...

Hi everyone!

For the past few days, my friend and I have been attempting to play an internet game using:

Vanilla Quake
    QuakeWorld
    ProQuake

Unfortunately, we run into problems with each option. With Vanilla Quake, client receives a message that reads "No Response" after the connection fails to be established to the host. We swapped roles and the same problem occured. Both of us are running a firewall and we both have port 26000 opened.

With QuakeWorld, my server can be set up, but I cannot join it myself. Obviously, this defeats the object of playing against each other. When ever I try to connect, I receive the message "net_getpacket: unknwon error". Exactly the same happens when my friend hosts a game.

When we finally tried ProQuake, it gave us exactly the same error message as QuakeWorld - "Trying... Still Trying... NO RESPONSE". So we are screwed. One thing I did notice however, was how ProQuake gives me only my local IP address instead of my real one - perhaps it somehow assumes we are attempting a network game.

I would rather not use source ports. What I am after is a classic Quake deathmatch experience with one of the three aforemtnioned options. Is this at all possible?

Thanks in advance for any heklful replies.

So you did setup the server on your computer locally?
    It's very easy using Fuhquake (or ezquake) (QW):

Just create a new multiplayer game. Taadaa! There is your server and you are already in the game
    Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Ah, now that's something I have not tried. I vaguely recall having a very enjoyable experience online using FuhQuake a while ago, and I thought how awesome it would be to have that applied to QuakeWorld - I understand FuhQuake is modelled on the QW code.

Would there be any way to set up the server locally using QuakeWorld? I have both the client and server packages, if that helps. Just if possible, I would like to stay away from ports such as FuhQuake, handy as they are. I want to play like I am in 96/97.

Thanks a lot for your quick reply.

Comment

Fuhquake has a built-in server. And you can configure it to look like vanilla Quake. Just use the software port and/or set the particles to faithful.

Fuhquake = a QuakeWorld client/server

QuakeWorld and Netquake are just the protocol names.
        Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Thanks again, Spirit. I am quite pleased with the software version of FuhQuake, although there is one niggling problem - how do I centre my status bar?

Comment

Working...
          X