How do I connect to a server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I connect to a server?

Ok so I launched quake and I typed in the console: connect bigfoot.quake1.net and It sayed connection accepted.

What do I do after that?
    And yes I am a

Hi justin,

I'm no expert but it sounds as though your quake client is making the initial connection and then there is a break in comms and the server can not send packets back to you. Its my understanding that there was a very similar set of symptoms to this noticed when players used older quake clients to play either through a NAT'd address or behind certain firewalls.
    If you haven't so already you might try downloading and running the latest version of Proquake (from this very site) which has a lot of these bugs fixed by the mighty Baker. If that still does not allow you to connect then come back to us with more detail and being a helpful bunch I'm sure someone will try and help you.

Hope this helps

Monty
    Last edited by Mr.Burns; 06-24-2012, 11:01 AM.
    Mr.Burns
    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Update client, as mr burns said.

Comment

Yes, that sounds like the client side NAT bug
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Stewbies!! Stew and newbies!

Comment

I downloaded ProQuake 4 and it kept saying after i connected:
            Trying...
            Still trying...
            Still trying...
            Connection Failed

Comment

Hmm that's odd. Have you tried connecting to different servers? Bigfoot is a fun server, based in Germany as I recall, and is packed with custom maps. perhaps try and connect to another server such as flanders.quake1.net or quake.shmack.net. If you can connect to either of these then this suggests that the problem might not be comms based.

If you still can not connect, your could try running the new Proquake 4 executable, which usually cures most of these problems with a few settings changes. A couple of things that may help:

1. Add your internal ip to the command line you use to start Proquake 4. For example:

Code:
              glpro451.exe -nocdaudio [COLOR="DarkOrange"]-ip 192.168.1.n[/COLOR] -noipx -width 640 -height 480 -bpp 32 -heapsize 131072 -game proquake
              Where 192.168.1.n is your internal IP number.

2. Check your firewalls, if you have them, to ensure that they are not blocking the return traffic.

3. Check your router for the same. As a test, you could try to route all UDP traffic to the internal IP address of your gaming pc.

5. As another test, if you have a DMZ on your router you could try and put your PC in to that Zone and see if you can connect. This is not the most secure option but may help you isolate where the problem lies.

Hope this helps

Monty
              Last edited by Mr.Burns; 06-24-2012, 04:56 PM.
              Mr.Burns
              "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"

Comment

make sure you gave the exe permission to access both private and public networks , both. It happens the first time you run any application that uses the network....
                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I dont miss having this issue one bit.. Haha think goodness for fixes!

Comment

With the client prior to proquake: After it says connection accepted, type "ping"
                    in the quake console.

It's something to do with the machine not sending the initial ping back to the server. Personally I had the same issue. And right now I'm using winquake because my proquake is doing the same thing to me (connection failed).

When I look at the packets with proquake absolutely no packets are leaving the game.

So for now, use ping?

Comment

To be honest, the "type ping in console" method has never worked for me when I had the same issue, but if upgrading to PQ4 is not an option, and none of the above resolve your problem, then if ping works for you then by all means go for it
                      Mr.Burns

Comment

What os and anti virus or firewalls are you running? Any information you provide is helpful, other then you cant connect.

Comment

Working...
                        X