Stream video from server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stream video from server

I'm hosting a Quake 1 LAN party and I'd like to have a video feed of the game going on a TV.

Unless there's a mod that can do it all for me, I assumed I'd have one client, or the server, spectating and I'd capture that and stream it.

However, I don't know how to spectate. It would be best if I could host a game and have a spectator window on the same machine.

Use an extra cpu and connect it to a TV as it's monitor.
    Join the game on that machine and have that player as a spectator.

Will probably have to use a mod that cycles through players (without death) to have a meaningful viewing. Otherwise it may stay on one character until they die.

But if everyone is playing.. who's watching the tv?

Well if there are a bunch of people just hanging out.. maybe don't use a mod and just let them cycle the players themselves with the mouse.

?

Comment

autochase feature in CRMOD and 3Wave mods is awesome.
      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by morrowind View Post
        But if everyone is playing.. who's watching the tv?
        Those just hanging out, wives.

Excuse my ignorance, but how do I join the server as a spectator, can I do that on the server hosting the game?

Will the autochase feature cycle through players? I'm really looking for something like Source TV if you're familiar with that.

Is the autochase feature available on DarkPlaces? That's the client/server I'm most familiar with.

Comment

Where are you hosting this lan at?

Comment

My house. It's not a huge event, 20 players or so.

Sort of a fun throwback night, where people who wouldn't normally LAN can bring whatever laptop they have and play.

Comment

Ahh, you anywhere near florida? Id love to get some time off and come frag away.. I havent been to a lan since 2000..

Comment

Phoenix. I haven't been to a LAN party in a long time either, seemed like a fun idea and Quake seems perfect because it's simple, easy to run and fun as shit.

Comment

Az, i got ya. To bad you are not closer. Well heck see if you can get some of those guys into online play, i spoke to a buddy of mine who lives in Alabama and they had a lan last year around november or december if i remember correctly and had 90 quake players who dont know about netquake. Im like seriously?? 90 more online players would be sweet.. Apparently there is more lan quakers then i thought. Back when i hosted lans in 96'-00' i had a few guys and girls come who never played online because of their connections at the time 'dialup'. Well wish i was closer id sure love to setup all the servers like you want.

Comment

id sure love to setup all the servers like you want.
                    You may get this chance bro. I wasn't kidding about having a warehouse as big as a super wal mart and after the last time I mentioned this, I started thinking that it would be fun to host a giant LAN party. I need to do a few things first.

1) wire the warehouse up in the back
                    2) make sure the port isn't going to trip out if I have 100 people come through here
                    3) probably something else I haven't thought of yet

If I do this, everyone is invited. I don't give a crap who you are. Bullshit will not be tolerated!

I have enough room to have an entire QuakeCon. That being said, If I can get this together I will post about it far in advance so people will have lots of time to prepare to come. I will need some help as I am not a master LAN party thrower. Much of this help can be handled by simply giving me the information that I need. If this doesn't all fall apart before it begins, I will PM the people that I think have the information I need. Also, I'm thinking that since this could have people driving half way across the country to come, I want to make it a few days long...bring a tent/sleeping bags/whatever (lol). I have all the electricity, water , space and parking you could ever need - the rest is your responsibility.

Edit: I know a lot of bands too. I could make this like woodstock for Quake. {crosses fingers} I'll talk to the port tomorrow morning. My Uncle owns a waste disposal company. I could probably get a bunch of port-o-lets delivered and maintained for nothing. All I have to do is figure out a shower situation.

Michael
                    Last edited by MadGypsy; 06-28-2012, 04:14 PM.
                    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

You guys are awesome. I feel like I'm getting thread-jacked a little bit though.

Can I join a game as a spectator on the machine that's hosting the game?

Comment

Yea a lan would be sweet!! Absolutely no bs at a lan. Ive gone to a few that people try abd start shit, not with me but with others. My size usually keeps people at bay..
                        Anyway a lan for 2-3 days would be cool and id def come.
                        Louisianna bound on notice

Comment

Originally posted by wicked_lord View Post
                          Ahh, you anywhere near florida? Id love to get some time off and come frag away.. I havent been to a lan since 2000..

http://florida.arrests.org/Arrests/S...iault_2785253/

STEVEN JAMES THERIAULT - LAKE CITY, FL - TruckDriver.com DOT Directory
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Larry Mondello; 06-30-2012, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Bpcakes. Soon as Tom Lewis aka Larry posted, your thread got jacked.

Comment

To make up for jacking your thread (which was purely circumstantial), you can totally come to the party that I am not positive I am going to have. I have talked to the port, but did not realize this was not a yes/no on demand request that I am making.

Felons are welcome as well. This isn't somewhere that someone wants to do some dumb shit. It is a DHS secured port. You would have better luck trying to break into Fort Knox than trying ANYTHING stupid here. Wildlife and Fisheries, Police and FEMA also "reside" here.

I figured if the government is going to eventually drag me to a FEMA camp, I will just move into a future one now. How is that for progressive thinking?

Can I join a game as a spectator on the machine that's hosting the game?
                              I will say (using only what I deem to be common sense for data) that you can absolutely spectate from any machine you wish.
                              Last edited by MadGypsy; 07-01-2012, 06:07 AM.
                              http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Working...
                              X