LAN party, Future VS Fantasy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAN party, Future VS Fantasy

My friends and me wanted to do an old style LAN party with Quake one where we intend to play Deathmatch of course, but also Coop.

In Coop our favorite way is using Future VS Fantasy, and so I was wondering. It is possible playing the version as in the fvf.servequake.com server? With Ogres with rockets and other changed monsters?

I downloaded the file from in this forum, but monsters are normal (however some seems tougher)...

I use this commands after starting the server:
    Code:
    registered 2
    deathmatch 3
    skill 3
    map e1m1
    but... no Ogres with rockets

I do not know if it helps, but I have all the CDs (Quake, Armagon, Eternity, and Abyss) so I can get data from all of then if needed.

Thanks.
    Last edited by ezzetabi; 08-12-2012, 01:43 AM.
    Contradiction is truth. Fear is freedom. Rights are privileges. Job is a commodity. Ignorance is strength.

I seem to recall a player (and a member here) called Foq set up an FVF server, it might even be the server you seek, and being a helpful chap I'm sure if you ask him nicely he'll probably do his best to help you.

if not then you could always try the RQuake coop mod which is very similar to the vanilla quake mod but has "beefed up" monsters, custom maps and much more. If you want to get an idea of what I'm referring to you could fire up quake and if you are in europe type the following in to your console...
    Code:
    connect coop.servequake.com:26001
    I'm told that if you are in the USA you can type following
    Code:
    connect RAGE.QUAKEONE.COM:26003
    Note: if you do not have the custom maps you should be able to download them from here

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Monty
    Last edited by Mr.Burns; 08-11-2012, 01:11 AM.
    Mr.Burns
    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Thanks. I sent a PM to foq, I hope he can help me.
      Contradiction is truth. Fear is freedom. Rights are privileges. Job is a commodity. Ignorance is strength.

Comment

You could always try Foq's site here.
        P.S. Google is your friend
        Mr.Burns
        "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
        WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
        Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Actually I do know the site, but I missed this bit:
          ``
          FvF20917.zip (2.57 Meg) - files last updated 2-25-2006

Note that this is not the same version we run on the server (which is not available for download) but this will give you all the files you need in order to see the skins and modified models when you play.
          ''

What? Why? Well, I hope that after 6 years he decides to share the server version.

Comment

Originally posted by ezzetabi View Post
            Actually I do know the site, but I missed this bit:
            ``
            FvF20917.zip (2.57 Meg) - files last updated 2-25-2006

Note that this is not the same version we run on the server (which is not available for download) but this will give you all the files you need in order to see the skins and modified models when you play.
            ''

What? Why? Well, I hope that after 6 years he decides to share the server version.
            Want the truth? Im pretty sure FoQ was asked 'plz dont ever EVER EVER GIVE OUT MY SERVER FOK?!' I am pretty sure I could pick out a few choice words for the situation,but my memory is really blurred.But,in all honesty,I DO RECALL THE WHOLE 'ITS MY MOD AND ONLY I GET IT' type attitude. A REAL PISSER, maybe I'm mistaken,but yeah. I remember being pissed because of whole "mine mine mine" shit. I recall really really disliking the situation.
            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

What a waste. Nevermind then.

Comment

What a waste. Nevermind then.
                It's been a long time since what im talking about has occured,a really really long time. But it could explain why you only see such an older version of FvF,and I await Foq to freshen my memory.

http://fvfonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42 <- reading material
                Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 08-10-2012, 06:44 AM.
                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Oh... yes. It seems an ``abusive delusion of grandeur'' fellow that missed the main point of sharing code. Allowing forks! You are not happy with it? Fork and we will both live happily.

Comment

Oh... yes. It seems an ``abusive delusion of grandeur'' fellow that missed the main point of sharing code. Allowing forks! You are not happy with it? Fork and we will both live happily.
                    YES , thats exactly what happened. Someone (ORL?) handed over the rights to host/code/modify FvF to Gunter as he seen fit , and then refused to release 'his copy' to many many people interested in hosting a FvF themselves

Foq is one of the few (ONLY?) people to get a copy. This is why I tell you,you're not S-O-L, not atleast yet. Many years have passed since 2006,and I personally hope for your sake, that FoQ tells Gunter where to shove his "Dont give it out!" attitude,all things considered, you're just a BRO trying to get his quake on with other BRO's on a LAN. thats not asking much..

Comment

I'm a 1000% for Quake mods being open source, yet that decision falls with the mod author.

In this particular case, I happen to know that during the peak FvF popularity had Gunter released the source, one of the other FvF fans would probably have started their own server and try to drain his player pool away.

Likewise, R00k doesn't open source his mods, but a real problem with open source can be a shady server operator modifying the mod and make it silently unfair. There would have been people hosting "cheater" CAx mods and if CRMOD were open source, there would be "cheater" CRMOD servers.

Now at the same time, closed source has grave consequences. Look all the modelling, modification and such of DarkPlaces where all those enthusiasts cooperate and work together. Closed source is the opposite of that in many way indirectly causes stagnation.

Still, the QuakeC for Quake is allowed be utilized for closed-source purposes and Gunter made the modified FvF. He did the work. Someone could have invested their time to learn QuakeC and make an FvF mod. But they didn't.

Contrast to, say, R00k who made a CRCTF and CA+ replacement from essentially scratch. Oh yeah, and someone could easily take RQ's match mode --- which is open source --- and create a CRMOD out of that.

I guess I'm saying it depends on how much you want stuff. I hadn't written a line of engine code in March 2007 ... by March 2008, I had done maybe 30 intermittent revisions to ProQuake.

Gunter didn't have to make an update to FvF. But he did.

Sure closed source sucks, but that is within his right.

/End overly long post.

[I never did open source the ProQuake Launcher. Funny, my main reason was I didn't want a crapton of private messages from someone who thought it was my responsibility to tell them how to code stuff. That might have another reason for Gunter to not want to open source his version of FvF ... maybe he feared that he'd have FvF people instead of learn QuakeC pester him to tell them how to do stuff.]
                      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                        I'm a 1000% for Quake mods being open source, yet that decision falls with the mod author.

In this particular case, I happen to know that during the peak FvF popularity had Gunter released the source, one of the other FvF fans would probably have started their own server and try to drain his player pool away.

Likewise, R00k doesn't open source his mods, but a real problem with open source can be a shady server operator modifying the mod and make it silently unfair. There would have been people hosting "cheater" CAx mods and if CRMOD were open source, there would be "cheater" CRMOD servers.

Now at the same time, closed source has grave consequences. Look all the modelling, modification and such of DarkPlaces where all those enthusiasts cooperate and work together. Closed source is the opposite of that in many way indirectly causes stagnation.

Still, the QuakeC for Quake is allowed be utilized for closed-source purposes and Gunter made the modified FvF. He did the work. Someone could have invested their time to learn QuakeC and make an FvF mod. But they didn't.

Contrast to, say, R00k who made a CRCTF and CA+ replacement from essentially scratch. Oh yeah, and someone could easily take RQ's match mode --- which is open source --- and create a CRMOD out of that.

I guess I'm saying it depends on how much you want stuff. I hadn't written a line of engine code in March 2007 ... by March 2008, I had done maybe 30 intermittent revisions to ProQuake.

Gunter didn't have to make an update to FvF. But he did.

Sure closed source sucks, but that is within his right.

/End overly long post.

[I never did open source the ProQuake Launcher. Funny, my main reason was I didn't want a crapton of private messages from someone who thought it was my responsibility to tell them how to code stuff. That might have another reason for Gunter to not want to open source his version of FvF ... maybe he feared that he'd have FvF people instead of learn QuakeC pester him to tell them how to do stuff.]
                        I recall the bigger issue being he wouldn't even release the mod outside his own hosting was because he was afraid someone would "Decompile" his mod, the same way he "Decompiled" FvF originally to create what he did. I smelled Hypocrite,other people did too.

I recall reading also he stated that the resulted decompile was like, missing huge chunks of the game + had bugs coming out of its ears.

Although, its fn hilarious he modded the Rotweiler dog to fn HUMP YOU TO DEATH. haha, wTF?

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                          I recall the bigger issue being he wouldn't even release the mod outside his own hosting was because he was afraid someone would "Decompile" his mod, the same way he "Decompiled" FvF originally to create what he did. I smelled Hypocrite,other people did too.
                          Everyone has their goals. Gunter's goal was to share his creations with an audience --- which is not uncommon. Look at everyone who shares their work with everyone else here. Making stuff is a very social activity for many.

Gunter was afraid ORL or RocketGuy might host a server. And all the FvF players were friends with ORL and RocketGuy.

Hell, RQuake initially so popular that for a while it sucked a lot of wind out of Gunter's server and even caused Gunter to run custom maps on his server to compete on in the "fun department".

It isn't unusual at all for a server operator to be competitive for players.
                          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Topic guys... If we want to try to defend closed source lets open a new thread.

Comment

foq gave me a copy, and I will try to restrain from distributing it.
                              Thanks everyone.

SOLVED.

Comment

Working...
                              X