Hosting a DarkPlaces game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hosting a DarkPlaces game

Pardon me, if there has been a topic about this issue. I found some discussion about hosting problems, but none with exactly the same problem.

I used to play WinQuake with my friends, but after switching to DarkPlaces I've been unable to set up a server. I've tried hosting one, but my friends never are able to connect with my IP.

I have also another (rather noobish) question. (Despite playing Quake from '97! ) How do I change a map during a multiplayer game?

Thanks in advance. :)

most online games are map changed with

warp (hit enter) , then follow the onscreen menu's. Like in CAx or CTF , it would be

Warp

That would result in warping to 'The Abandoned Base'

RuneQuake ~ just type in the map name, like dm3,start,end,e1m7,etc. You are required to be IN THE GAME for your vote to register !!

CRMOD requires this type of warping console commands...
    warp
    dm3

DarkPlaces doesn't have too much documentation about running bohemoth 64/128 player server whichever one its is. Use proquake to host your server , or everyone will be required to use darkplaces as their cient exe and as far as I know, there has yet ever to be a darkplaces server running like that.
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

First up, the simple thing. Warp usually isn't the command you use to change the map. That's a feature of CAx servers and the like. Generally, running a homebrew server, you'll need to use the changelevel command. For example, if you type changelevel e2m4 in the server console, the server will move to e2m4. You can avoid using the server console for these commands by setting up an rcon password (you'll need to have a proquake or darkplaces server for this). If you add rcon_password "blah" in the server's autoexec.cfg file, you can hop over to your client connected to the server and use rcon_password blah, then issue an rcon command, like rcon changelevel e2m4. If you are running a darkplaces client connected to a proquake server, you'll need to use rcon_password blah, then pqrcon changlevel e2m4. If you issue an rcon, and not a pqrcon command to a proquake server, you'll lose connection.

Now on to server hosting...

Darkplaces server can either be run with the QUAKE protocol or the DP7 protocol. Using the QUAKE protocol, anyone can connect to the Darkplaces server. The only time connectivity is limited to Darkplaces clients is if the DP7 protocol is used.

The first step is to set up a static local address for the host machine. In Windows 7, I can do this by going to Start > Network > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings > Local Area Connection > Properties > Properties of Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).

IP Address is what the local IP of the server will be, this is important later. Subnet mask should match whatever the subnet mask is set to in your router, usually this is 255.255.255.0. Default Gateway is the IP address of your router, usually this is 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1, but it can also be other things. Preferred DNS server should be set to whatever your default gateway is, that is, your router's address. Since your router handles DNS, your computer can get DNS info from the router this way.

Once you've set this up, you need to go into your router's settings. If you're using the Darkplaces server, all you need to do is forward port 26000 to the host machine. Here's an example of mine:

If you're running some other type of Quake server other than the Darkplaces server, you'll have to put the machine hosting it in the DMZ.

e|------------------------0---------------
      B|---------------0^1----------------1----
      G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
      D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
      A|---------------0------------------------
      E|----------------------------------------

Comment

He said play online with friends, and using map blahblah won't do squat.

People should actually,in reality, stop being hermit crabs and start playing Quake on the provided server's. If everyone did this then there wouldn't be anyone left playing,or trolling, quake
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post

People should actually,in reality, stop being hermit crabs and start playing Quake on the provided server's. If everyone did this then there wouldn't be anyone left playing,or trolling, quake
          Really, the 25000 things that could wrong be with "I am hosting my game own server and it isn't working questions" makes these sort of questions unviable.

Even someone like Spike won't touch them. And he doesn't avoid anything.

The range of issues go from router setting --- and there are 769 different routers ---- and firewall --- anti-virus (which these days often means some sort of "comprehensive security solution) --- Windows settings ---- and the possibility of general dumbassery factored in --- makes answering the questions basically untenable.

If you do get it working, you are doing everything right.

If you can't get it working, either:
          A) You don't know enough about what you are doing for anyone to help you.
          B) You don't know enough to help yourself, and if you can't then for sure no one else can.

I'm just pointing out the correct answer is, like Mindzy implied ...

"If you can't figure it out, just play on a server. That's why they are there, and there are tons of them."

/ Honorable mention to FOQ for trying to help, but I don't think I ever once posted those kind of screenshots in 55 attempts in the past to help the same kinds of questions ever actually solved the problem for the person asking the question. Either they are boggled by the screenshots or don't really understand that kind of stuff enough to have a reasonable chance of success anyways ...
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Agreed, Much Kudos to Foq, what would we do without him!

Welcome back to Quake, Miihkali

On a very slightly related note:
            Having played most of the people in this thread at 3-5 times their ping on a truly terrible gaming computer I think it’s fair to say I’m a supporter of online play and for the most part I agree with the sentiments and suggestions made. On reflection though,it’s not hard to understand Miihkali's attraction to having a private server for just a few friends, as well as players having some reticence when it comes to joining some public servers with little or no admining.
            I can only speak from my own experience but for some reason there are a select few players who seem to make it their mission in life to spoil someone/everyone else’s experience on a server. One could argue that it's down to the admins or we should all "develop a thick skin as it is the internet after all" and there is some validity in that. Then again if it’s a choice between a fun, good spirited game with a few friends on a private server versus having to put up with a tirade of abuse, poor attitudes and arguments that I'm sure most of us have witnessed at one time or another on a public server one can see why some players often look elsewhere for alternatives.
            I’m not suggesting that’s right or wrong but hope that it may be food for thought and perhaps a little encouragement for those with the power to improve the gaming experience and make the servers a nicer place to be.

/very humble opinion ends

Kind regards

Monty
            Last edited by Mr.Burns; 11-19-2012, 05:57 AM.
            Mr.Burns
            "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
            WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
            Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post

Naw dude. Dude, naw.
              e|------------------------0---------------
              B|---------------0^1----------------1----
              G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
              D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
              A|---------------0------------------------
              E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
              X