No announcement yet.

proquake *optional* replacement textures support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rook - yea, i think it's 20 frames/sec right ? what's the client side setting for this ? cl_maxfps ? anyway, if i get my 20 frames per second faster than the other guy, i do have an advantage right ?

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
      if FitzQuake mark V had pq features......
      @ Killingtime.

Actually ...

FitzQuake Mark V has virtually *EVERY* ProQuake feature. And external texture support. Ping in scoreboard, mostly fixed networking code, demo record at any time, loc support (I think). http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=60831 Also has several features no other engine has. You'll have to read the readme, I did like 75 modifications to the engine in 3 weeks and I really don't remember too much except it was damn thorough work and seems to be used by a fair chunk of Func_Msgboard.

Something to consider ... (!!!)

/I engine code so much I forget about that kind of thing.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Baker -

Interesting! I'll fire it up and see how it goes.

Thanks

Comment

Ok, fired up fitz and a couple of things ...

1. texture replacement works

2. hud/font does not or i dont know how to get them to -- i've tried putting the files in both gfx and textures folders

3. pq team binds not working ? %l %a and so on

i've been trying dq, but noticed some input lag on the mouse side -- movement and firing, that is not present in pq, or at least not as much. i play at my monitor's max/native res -- 1920x1200 - and my vid card (gtx 460) can more than handle things. i have this fancy gaming mouse that polls at 1000 (can set to lower values like 500, 250, etc). im not sure what's the right balance here ... i read a comment by MH suggesting that fps should be some multiple of mouse rate, which i need to try ... in my case, at a 1000 rate, my maxfps should be 1000+, or i can drop the rate down to 500 and set fps to 1000. again, the goal is to ensure that i never lose any mouse input op while all the other stuff is going on.

Comment

FitzQuake only supports replacement textures for maps.

[Mark V also supports replacement textures for .mdl models. It does support locs.]
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

@killingtime
              regarding your directq input latency, try reducing the number of backbuffers used in your graphics drivers settings or whereever it is.
              glquake has a limit of 2, while d3d tends to use 3 or more.
              this is the cause of my personal hatred of d3d (in general, not directq), in that it'll quite happily buffer up a second's worth of video before actually displaying any of the frames. makes it really hard to play like that!
              I really don't remember where that setting is either, sorry.
              anyway, end rant.
              Some Game Thing

Comment

spike -

i see the following:

Maximum pre-rendered frameslimits the number of frames in DirectX games that the CPU can prepare before the GPU processes them. During gameplay, a higher number can provide smoother gameplay at lower frame rates, while a lower number can remedy slow responses of input devices such as mouse or keyboard.

you said reduce the number, but to what ? 2 to match gl ?

i also heard that setting vsync on might help stabilize things and produce consistent results. but i've also read a post somewhere else where baker swears that vsync off and getting the most fps you can get it = better gameplay, especially improved shaft aim.

i would really like to put this particular issue to bed and post here once and for all that if you do "this and this and this", you're guaranteed consistent results input-wise -- i.e. assuming the engine does its job correctly, your input should be always sitting there for it to pass along to the server ... no missed input. of course, there are other things in play such as net, gfx, snd, etc ... but if we can say ... "this is the best you can do to ensure consistent input", then i think this would be fine. everyone here knows that dumbing down the gfx, snd, etc can improve performance and speed of the game, but having the fastest system on the planet is useless if your input does not get through.

Comment

Originally posted by killingtime187 View Post
                  baker swears that vsync off and getting the most fps you can get it = better gameplay, especially improved shaft aim.
                  Probably anything above 160 fps is unnecessary and definitely above 250. Above a certain fps, an uncapped NetQuake client like ProQuake will network lag itself (like pq_maxfps 9999 and connect to a server).

Just pointing out there is a limit to that.

The *only* reason this is true (high fps = better LG aim) in a traditional NetQuake client (ProQuake, GLQuake) is that the code has mouse input and network and client-side physics (single player) all tied together ... which ideally it shouldn't be.

[FTEQW and DarkPlaces and modern Quakeworld don't have them tied together. DirectQ as far as I know untied the link between input polling and frames per second. This means DirectQ will poll your mouse the same (like as in fast, fast ...) no matter your frames per second. MH could confirm this, I'm only about 85% certain of this.]
                  Last edited by Baker; 12-21-2012, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Hi Baker -

Got it. That makes sense since the input definitely feels different in the other clients mentioned, but ... it doesn't translate into ideal gameplay on netquake servers -- probably rocks on quakeworld and dp servers. Yes, I also think that DirectQ does a lot of things differently and possibly more efficiently.

An update to what I've been able to find so far ... I have decided to go back to the lowest setting and work from there upwards. As a result, I've dropped my mouse polling back down to 125hz and set my dpi to the lowest possible value on this mouse -- 800. I have maxfps at 500 and vsync off (tried vsync on and my system did not like it all ... it was unplayable). This seems to be working well so far. I think the high polling rate, dpi and other advanced mouse options are for games that really tax both the gpu and cpu's -- i.e. modern games like crysis etc. For netquake on the other hand, it seems that having "more" is actually detrimental to gameplay. This adds up with your statement about PQ's implementation and what you said above and since this is the bar which other netquake clients for tdm is being measured, I think this should be the general approach for netquake configuration -- i.e. leave the high dpi and super polling rates for the other demanding games. Of course, this might even be a personal configuration ... assuming others can get proper responses with netquake clients using the high mouse settings -- i.e. maybe my setup is not right for this.

Getting back on topic ... I think optional texture support in PQ won't be happening, given your responses. I'll keep playing with different settings and see how input is affected on various clients and possibly post my findings here.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by killingtime187 View Post
                      Getting back on topic ... I think optional texture support in PQ won't be happening, given your responses. I'll keep playing with different settings and see how input is affected on various clients and possibly post my findings here.

Thanks for all the feedback.
                      Could end up happening eventually in the form of Engine X, ProQuake and FitzQuake Mark V becoming a single engine.

All 3 engines have vast amounts of similar features (demo rewind, loc support, etc., ping is scoreboard) and I've been trying to bring them together into a single project where only the rendering is different. Mark V was an effort to add clean implementations bug fixes and conveniences in other engines, which resulted in a lot of ProQuake features getting rewritten from the ground up (one example, the ping in scoreboard in Mark V isn't from ProQuake, more of a result of looking at what DarkPlaces and ProQuake did and writing a short and crisp implementation).

It just takes a lot of time to get there ....

Comment

it would take less time if you were not working on all three at the same time...
                        tbh, three is just greedy.
                        Some Game Thing

Comment

OT but wondering something...

What's the deal with the advertisements showing up in the posts?
                          PanterA-RuM - chase_active 1 - Panix!

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                            DirectQ as far as I know untied the link between input polling and frames per second. This means DirectQ will poll your mouse the same (like as in fast, fast ...) no matter your frames per second. MH could confirm this, I'm only about 85% certain of this.]
                            Confirmed, yes. The mouse is polled as fast as possible, and client-side view updates happen in real time, but transmission from client to server still only happens at the default 72fps (so as to not flood servers and not generate huge demo files).

Interesting fact - Quake 2 also (kind of) does this - it runs the main event procedure every pass through the game loop, even if a frame would otherwise not run, and responds to (certain) input events as they happen, but will gather them up and update state, send them to the server, etc only if a frame will run.
                            IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MH View Post
                              Confirmed, yes. The mouse is polled as fast as possible, and client-side view updates happen in real time, but transmission from client to server still only happens at the default 72fps (so as to not flood servers and not generate huge demo files).

Interesting fact - Quake 2 also (kind of) does this - it runs the main event procedure every pass through the game loop, even if a frame would otherwise not run, and responds to (certain) input events as they happen, but will gather them up and update state, send them to the server, etc only if a frame will run.
                              I requested this feature. Then later on I requested a console variable that would be able to adjust that net rate indepent of the graphics updates.

and YES! the reason I enjoy the uber high fps in netplay is due to the LG / overall aim improvement it offers.

Q1 has come a long way from its roots, even ProQuake is heavily modified compared to our original quake.exe & q95.bat etc :F
                              Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                                it would take less time if you were not working on all three at the same time...
                                tbh, three is just greedy.
                                Well, I'm kinda sorta trying to standardize some things a little. Hit some, miss some. But looks like some of the things I was able to do in 2012 worked out well. Mark V has worked out maybe a bit better than I expected. Engine X ... more work to do (mixed). ProQuake mostly forward, but with a little tuning needed to satisfying everyone.

Its a hit and miss world. I think I leveled up a few notches, which is nice since I used to struggle so much a couple of years back.

Comment

Working...
                                X