proquake *optional* replacement textures support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baker View Post
    Well, I'm kinda sorta trying to standardize some things a little. Hit some, miss some. But looks like some of the things I was able to do in 2012 worked out well. Mark V has worked out maybe a bit better than I expected. Engine X ... more work to do (mixed). ProQuake mostly forward, but with a little tuning needed to satisfying everyone.

Its a hit and miss world. I think I leveled up a few notches, which is nice since I used to struggle so much a couple of years back.
    still aiming for a December release of engine x?
    My Avatars!
    Quake Leagues
    Quake 1.5!!!
    Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Originally posted by syluxman2803 View Post
      still aiming for a December release of engine x?
      Any engine updates are gonna be 2013 some time. But they'll be really good ones.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

in addition to "optional" textures, i think all key areas should be optional/pluggable -- for instance, i saw 5.1 sound in fteqw ... worked great with my 5.1 setup. anyway, ideally, the engines should able to give the user a feel of the original game with optional enhancements for sound, gfx, input (raw vs orig), etc.

Comment

Originally posted by killingtime187 View Post
          in addition to "optional" textures, i think all key areas should be optional/pluggable
          I think just due to the number of serious engine developers in the Quake community -- and it is hard to say an exact number, but there have been at least 11 releases this year and I mean of 11 different engines (Quakespasm, RMQ, QBism Super8, probably an Engoo one, the 6 degrees of Freedom engine as some examples, the PSP engine Dr Abuse did that for reason the thread got buried and it would seem few people saw it at the time [it happens] ) ...

I just happen to think the Quake engines in general will continue to evolve.

And I swear that 3-4 years ago, I honestly wouldn't have thought that would be the case. Especially the then extremely important Quakesrc.org site died, which was all about engine coding, I thought Quake engine coding was going to die ... especially when aguirRe (who did a once popular and important single player engine) switched from Quake 1 to interest in ... I think it was Quake 2 ...

But the Quake 1 community always seems to surprise.

That in itself is something somewhat fascinating.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

interesting info baker. i can tell you that all the guys i play with (myself included) have high end pc's and all the latest games, but still come back to quake -- the standard by which all others are measured the "feel" and pace of this engine has never been replicated by any other that just makes for addictive sheer fun gameplay. (others tend to shoot for hyper-realistic gfx and movement that gets boring after a short while.)

there are essentially two types of gamers - those that like fast paced action that tests your reflexes and where practice makes perfect, and those that prefer sit and snipe action or something more docile/slow paced. for instance, i showed a friend of mine -- hardcore black ops player -- a match i was playing and his head was spinning from the pace of the game quake is for those type of players that first made it famous and there is *always* a current generation of players like this sort of gameplay.

anyway, i hope the momentum continues into 2013 and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by killingtime187 View Post
              anyway, i hope the momentum continues into 2013 and beyond.
              Odds: Better than average.

Comment

actually, if we want to make quake appealing to the current generation of fast action players, we'll need to bring the gfx and sound out of the dark ages because even their little nintendo ds probably looks better. check out this article -- Fast paced FPS genre dead? Not so fast! Confessions of a serial game designer. and this -- Fast paced FPS games [Archive] - Steam Users' Forums, both 2012 write ups, this one starts off with:

"What happened? These games actually required skill and were fun."

"Controllers can't handle twitch gaming all that well, thus those fast games were replaced by slower-paced, auto-aim friendly shooters."

i was never a controller player, so didn't know they suck compared to the mouse + kb for fast action.

anyway, i think what truly separates quake from the others like alien arena is the match-based team play vs ffa ? i don't know as i've never tried aa, but the key thing for me is the match and supporting a team to victory -- essentially the same thing that are in most fps games (slow or fast), but those of us here just prefer things a bit faster and not restarting the level after a 2 min round ... but instead keeping the game going.

Comment

yeah if you want new players you have to cater to them. few modern gamers want the classic quake look. with all of the modern texture, models, sounds, etc, a modern looking, yet faithful quake could be put together that satisfies both new school and old school players. if the classic players want classic, include a "classic mode" or something similar.

i'm not knocking one look or another, all i'm saying is if you are trying to sell quake to a modern crowd, you have to cater to their expectations, and sadly old school graphics aren't high on that list. remember, there are many fps's that bring modern, fast paced action. the same can be done for quake if touch ups are done in the right way.
                  examples:

Xonotic
                  Urban Terror
                  My Avatars!
                  Quake Leagues
                  Quake 1.5!!!
                  Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Working...
                  X