proquake *optional* replacement textures support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• proquake *optional* replacement textures support

before starting a flame war, i made sure i highlighted the keyword "optional" in the forum topic. after reading the following post -- http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-hel...ake-music.html, i wondered ... why not also "optionally" allow for replacement textures ? proquake, out of the box, will always give you the classic/original look and feel of quake without you having to configure anything. however, for those that want to alter the sound and/or gfx *without* losing the classic netquake feel, it should be possible to do so. i think the most important thing is that any optional additions do not alter the feel of the game play or it should not be added.

so, given that's almost 2013, and pretty much every one here has a machine/setup that can easily handle hd textures + sound, how about adding this option to proquake ?

Isnt that Engine X?
    Cbuf_AddText (va("say ZeroQuake GL version 1.10\n"));

Comment

i've tried enginex and it doesn't feel the same as pq to me. so, unless baker says that this "is" pq with "default" hd stuff on top, i'm not so sure.

Comment

EngineX is not ProQuake with the extras added.
        Stock PQ3.50 feels like mouse acceleration is on to me in Win7...

try using -noforcemparms in qrack, enginex, or proQuake if u get wierd "feelings"
        to me though the directinput is same in all glQuake derivatives. And just using m_filter should feel the same in any client.
        www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

rook - does that fix any differences in the physics/movement implementation as well or do all quake engines have the same physics code ? i dont have -dinput so i'm not sure i'm using it ? or this enabled by default regardless for all clients ?

Comment

Darkplaces can have a clientside physics thru prediction (cl_movement 1)
            but all the rest use same, as the physics is handled on the SERVER in multiplayer.

-dinput is not set by default, though Qrack uses it as default.

I personally set m_directinput 0 and m_raw_input 1, m_filter 1 in Qrack.

IMHO i think Baker is gonna finalize proQuake by version 5.0.
            Then move away from that engine.

Comment

What does the cl_movement 1 do? There is rarely ever any discussion into the exact mechanics of these types of things.
              Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

its used for darkplaces protocol and quakeworld. It predicts your movement and the latency clientside before sending to the server. I think its similar to cl_independant_physics in quakeworld.

Comment

cl_movement is the DP-specific cvar to enable player prediction.
                  Its fairly dependant upon the mod, like the QW counterpart. Expect prediction errors if the mod does anything remotely exotic (like hooks).
                  Some Game Thing

Comment

Originally posted by killingtime187 View Post
                    i wondered ... why not also "optionally" allow for replacement textures ? proquake, out of the box, will always give you the classic/original look and feel of quake without you having to configure anything. however, for those that want to alter the sound and/or gfx *without* losing the classic netquake feel, it should be possible to do so.
                    Well, ProQuake isn't a "features" engine. It runs exactly like GLQuake except a bit easier to setup.

Qrack might be what you are looking for ... R00k has tons of options and graphics features while having almost everything ProQuake ever had.
                    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

yea, i use qrack and dq and dp on/off, but for some reason the "feel" with pq is different -- i always end up playing better with pq than with any other engine. not sure what it is ... it would be nice to have, for each engine, a config that clones the same feel of pq -- i.e. set these vars to get the exact same feel, precise aimining, etc as pq.

Comment

Originally posted by killingtime187 View Post
                        yea, i use qrack and dq and dp on/off, but for some reason the "feel" with pq is different -- i always end up playing better with pq than with any other engine. not sure what it is ... it would be nice to have, for each engine, a config that clones the same feel of pq -- i.e. set these vars to get the exact same feel, precise aimining, etc as pq.
                        KT, you could (painstakingly,admited) compare the config files for both engines...

or try execing the proquake config file in the other engine,and any compatible variables will be changed to reflect proquake! may or may not work,but worth a try
                        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

but for some reason the "feel" with pq is different --
                          It's kinda odd but at the core, the mouse routines are the same in most of these engines. Each might haves additional mouse features/input paths but still retain the original.

Comment

rook -

is it just the same mouse routines ? what about movement/physics -- yea, you said it's server side controlled, but the client still has to render ... any differences here ?

well, i've seen others complain about different "feel" between engines, so i'm definitely not the first. for me, i just want the feel to be exactly like pq or even wq speaking of wq, dave (concept) swears that he runs only wq because the difference is too much for him to use anything else.

Comment

The only reason people run wq is because u can use fullbright skins on a modified player model.

I completely understand the mouse feel; its the #1 interaction between the player and the engine. Everything else is just conveniences.

It really depends on your OS and mouse. I had the best mouse response in win98 for ProQuake. And when i went to XP it felt different EVEN though same mouse same engine.

DieHards like Dave will play like an old fisherman. He caught a whale of a fish using 1 lure, bingo that lure is his "lucky" lure.

But the bottom line is, nothing stays the same. Everything about life is adaptation to your environment. If your mouse feels diff, u haves to make choices, and sometimes you just get stuck.

I can add external texture support to pq3.50 if thats what u really want. But does it really solve the problem?

Can you tell me what mouse/os/driver version u have? maybe your cfg, if i have to go out and buy your mouse to compare it i will...
                              maybe record a demo playing one engine vs another, same cfg?
                              is "enhanced precision" turned OFF in your mouse settings??

Or just stick with what works!

Qrack might be what you are looking for ... R00k has tons of options and graphics features while having almost everything ProQuake ever had.
                              I was a competitive quaker, and when JPG stopped updating ProQuake, i just absorbed features i wanted, to make the game better.
                              Last edited by R00k; 12-14-2012, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X