Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake 1 via steam

Dear Quake-ers,
    A while back i bought Quake one on steam.
    The single player and local games work fine.
    But when i try to connect with my sister (bought her a copy as well, for old times sake) through the internet
    (using the command: "connect 192.168.xxx.xx" in the console) it seems we cannot connect.
    console message: still trying... , still trying..., No Response.

Firewall is not blocking
    Opened port 26000

When i try to join another online game which i found here:
    QuakeOne - Quake Servers
    I get: connection accepted
    Then i need to type: "ping" to get in the came.
    I got the error saying: "Z_Malloc: failed on allocation of 26 bytes." *or 40 bytes*.
    I have looked around, some say I should put - zone 1024 in the short cut somewhere.
    But I am having a hard time with it since my shortcut does not refer to an .exe but just steam.
    Another server does let me connect without errors.

So my biggest question is, how can I connect with my sister?

Do not use Quake.exe ,or q95.bat,etc
    get a modern quake client (your sis too!)

If you want to shoot monsters
    connect rage.quakeone.com:26003 <- thats where you wanna be

If you want to shoot each other..
    connect rage.quakeone.com

ProQuake
    Qrack
    Darkplaces
    DirectQ
    and more are all examples of modern engines

you do not need to bind ip using modern engines
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

your z_malloc error, you need to add -zone 1024 to the commandline in the shortcut to your client.
      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

blah

/insert random tirade about why Steam is shit / there are NO INSTRUCTIONS TO THIS PROBLEM THAT OCCURS ONCE EVERY FN MONTH OR SO.

Lerster had typed excessive instructions somewhere here at the forums, but...

Seriously, it's time to end this "not prepared shit"................. I dont have QUAKE FOR STEAM so I can't make the "definitive installation instructions for Quake1 via Steam"

but,we really do need installation procedures / or STEAM needs to offer more support for the stuff they sell.

I'm too pissed @ Quake being locked into "1996 dur-de-dur DURRRRRRRRRR" with the documentation skills of a monkey.
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Mindz use some of that energy to make a simple HOW-TO for newbs to install DirectQ, then make a Sticky so u can hotlink it...
          the thing is that the original poster didnt include information like quake.exe -dedicated (or -listen) the connection if they are on the same router should be something like
          'connect 192.168.1.101' the 101 could be anything from 100 to 255. He did get his "quake" to run as he mentioned so it's not an argument about what client to use.

Though using a modern client will solve some of these issues....

that and there's a joke in this some where "Yo slim Shaddy want to play with my sista!"
          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Mindf!3ldzX, we would like to play coop. I have downloaded a client: DirectQ, but when i try to run it, it says it cannot find quake.exe. Neither can I because of steam...
            Ran into the same problem that there is now clear "how to play quake multiplayer through steam" section any where.. that's why i came to you guys.

R00k, what do you mean by: "the thing is that the original poster didnt include information like quake.exe -dedicated (or -listen) the connection if they are on the same router should be something like"? Should I include more information?

Comment

Shaddie im going to write up a full Steam installation tutorial on getting quake running both from within Steam client and without the Steam client.

I'm going to write the without Steam client instructions first though, as they will be the easiest.

editing post as needed, will have a final cleanup phased then I will be aggrivating Solecord to make a blatantly visible steam instructions section.

Thank Shaddie/R00k for this

Comment

i could help too with that mindz

if you want i can write up a quick tut for how to set up steam quake for use with darkplaces.
                should generally be the same as any other client, except for that i'd recommend a certain DP build which works best
                are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

post it here ,
                  http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-hel...tml#post125969

But I would really appreciate it if you would write the tutorial in a format that accommodate's all engines.I really would prefer the instructions we point to are beneficial and capable of being applicable to ANY engine.

another member (who,is gone now. thanks guys!) LerSt3r , created a super uber long mega detailed instruction set on getting Quake running through the Steam client, but its was a bit excessive in length. It involved renaming your engine of choice to Quake.exe IIRC. Yes,it would be nice if someone would assist. I don't feel like buying Quake just to write up some instruction install tut

<--- hes lazy
                  Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 12-19-2012, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Wow, sounds impressive. Would be great to finaly have a clear guid on how to play quake 1 multiplayer through steam! Thanks Mindf!3ldzX, for taking the time.

Comment

We need more people playing Quake , so each cobble of effort eventually could lead to building arch bridge

Comment

I see, how do we find them ?

Comment

I'd just like to say steam is shit, got a game gifted to me on there, they took it back, and now you have to buy a game to use the chat? fuck you steam.

Comment

Originally posted by lennox View Post
                            fuck you steam.
                            all in favor say " I "!
                            My Avatars!
                            Quake Leagues
                            Quake 1.5!!!
                            Definitive HD Quake

Comment

I had a game from steam once.... It completely fucked over my pc so that I couldn't run it. still havent been able to play the game.
                              Cbuf_AddText (va("say ZeroQuake GL version 1.10\n"));

Comment

Working...
                              X