This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Quake Installation Instructions

Installing and updating Quake to run through Steam client with a modern engine.(untested and could be flawed 12-19-2012)
    (You should get WinRAR trial,its used as apart of my instructions ! May require reboot after installing )
    -Presuming you have Quake installed through Steam already....
    -Open your Steam client, go to Library tab, locate Quake and left click it once on the left column
    -Right click Quake in left column,then click on Properties. A steam window "Quake Properties" should open, click BROWSE LOCAL FILES

-locate Quake.exe , rename it to QuakeOLD.exe or Quake.old

-Download one of these Engines to THE QUAKE FOLDER,the one we just renamed Quake.exe in!!!!
    ProQuake 4: The official continuation of ProQuake
    QRACK
    DirectQ - Home
    LordHavoc's DarkPlaces Quake Modification

-right click & EXTRACT HERE the engine you just downloaded (You should see it, we've been staring at a Quake folder and you just downloaded it there

-RENAME THE ENGINE YOU DOWNLOADED TO QUAKE.EXE

-Minimize all of this Riff Raff , try running Quake from STEAM CLIENT
    If you have trouble with these instructions feel free to send me a private message HERE

Instructions for bypassing STEAM CLIENT / Running Quake with modern Engines outside STEAM CLIENT
    When you are installing Quake, pick a folder and REMEMBER LOCATION where you install!

-Browse to the folder where you installed Quake , then right click & copy the ID1 folder thats located inside the Quake folder.

-Create a new folder somewhere, name it Quake

-Paste the ID1 folder into the Quake folder you just created !

(you should now have a new Quake folder, and inside it ID1 folder with pak0.pak and pak1.pak ATLEAST)

-Download and extract one of these engines into the Quake folder you just created

ProQuake 4: The official continuation of ProQuake
    QRACK
    DirectQ - Home
    LordHavoc's DarkPlaces Quake Modification

Engine exe's belong inside the Quake root folder like
    \Quake\glQrack.exe
    \Quake\directq.exe
    \Quake\proquake451.exe

-Right click your Engine's EXE file (like directq.exe) , Send To - > Desktop Create Shortcut
    Double click the Shortcut on your desktop, See if Quake is running.
    If you have trouble with these instructions feel free to send me a private message HERE
    Post will be edited as I modify these to make them easier to follow, that and suggestions for making these instructions easier are welcomed and encouraged.
    Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 12-19-2012, 11:30 AM.
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Steam quake with darkplaces

STEAM QUAKE WITH DARKPLACES
    here are some instructions for how to run steam download of quake with darkplaces

- first of all, just like above, make a new folder for your client. ill call it 'quakeDP' for this example

- create a new folder inside this folder you just made, and name it ID1

- browse to the folder where steam download quake too. this is most likely
    D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\quake (or plain 'program files' without (x86) at end if you have a 32bit system)

- browse to the ID1 folder inside the steam quake folder,
    and copy over the PAK0.PAK and PAK1.PAK files from there over to the ID1 folder in the map you made a bit ago

- download this build of darkplaces darkplaces-20110702.zip
    and extract the files included in that zip into the base folder you just made a bit ago
    (why i recommend using this specific build is cuz everything works in it and it has best performance)

you should end up with this:

thats it for normal quake, you dont need to do anything more to run quake in darkplaces.
    to start quake, just open darkplaces.exe and voila

if you also want transparent water like GLquake has:

- download this file: visd_maps.zip

- open the zip and browse to the ID1 folder inside the zip,
    and copy over the pak2.pak file from that zip over into the ID1 folder inside your quakeDP folder.

- now start darkplaces, go to options, then to 'customize effects' and move nearly all the way down.
    theres a slider called "water alpha (opacity)". move this slider to cotnrol transparency of water surfaces.
    lower is more transparent, higher is less. id personally recommend using 0.7 or 0.6 since it feels most natural

later ill also post similar instructions for both mission-packs of quake
    Last edited by talisa; 12-19-2012, 11:37 AM.
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Steam quake with darkplaces - mission packs

STEAM QUAKE WITH DARKPLACES - MISSION-PACKS

now... instructions for if you also got the mission-packs for quake off of steam
      how to do this is very similar to base quake

MISSION-PACK 1 : SCOURGE OF ARMAGON

- go to your quakeDP folder, and in the base folder, create a folder called 'hipnotic'

- browse to the folder where steam downloaded quake to
      most likely D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\quake (or plain 'program files' without (x86) at end if you have a 32bit system)

- open the hipnotic folder inside the steam quake installation, and copy over the pak0.pak from that folder over into the hipnotic folder you made inside your quakeDP folder

- download this file, and put it inside the base folder of your quakeDP: darkplaces MP1 - SoA.bat

- thats it for mission-pack 1. to start it, run the 'darkplaces MP1 - SoA' bat file instead of darkplaces.exe and itll start the mission pack for you

if you also want transparent water in mission pack1 like GLquake had:

- open the zip and browse to the hipnotic folder inside the zip,
      and copy over the pak1.pak file from that zip over into the hipnotic folder inside your quakeDP folder.

- controlling transparency of water surfaces works the same like in base quake. check above post for instructions

MISSION-PACK2 : DISSOLUTION OF ETERNITY

- browse to your quakeDP folder, and in this folder create a folder called 'rogue'

- browse to the folder where steam downloaded quake to
      most likely D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\quake (or plain 'program files' without (x86) at end if you have a 32bit system)

- browse into the rogue folder in quake steam folder, and copy over the pak0.pak file from that folder over to the rogue folder you made in your quakeDP folder

- download this file, and drop this file also in the rogue folder: plasmagun-fix progs.dat
      this will fix the bug which causes the balls from plasmagun to not move and hang still in mid-air, and itll make the plasmagun operate normally again

- download this file and drop it into the base folder of your quakeDP darkplaces MP2 - DoE.bat

- to start mission-pack 2, run the 'darkplaces MP2 - DoE' bat instead of darkplaces.exe and itll start the mission pack for you

if you also want transparent water in mission pack2 like GLquake had:

- open the zip and browse to the rogue folder inside the zip,
      and copy over the pak1.pak file from that zip over into the rogue folder inside your quakeDP folder.

- controlling transparency of water surfaces works the same like in base quake. check above post for instructions
      Last edited by talisa; 12-19-2012, 12:04 PM.
      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
      > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Good job on both guys!

Comment

this needs to be stick'd ASAP!
          My Avatars!
          Quake Leagues
          Quake 1.5!!!
          Definitive HD Quake

Comment

sticky and post link on steam ?
            www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Guide: Quake 1 on Steam

The version of Quake purchased through steam is very out of date. While acceptable for a Single-Player experience, those wishing to play online should avail themselves of this guide for setting up and playing the Steam Version of Quake for online play BEFORE asking on the forums what has already been asked.

The Quake Program is extremely outdated, you will need to run one of the custom game engines that have been produced over the years instead of the one that comes with Quake in order to play online.

Getting Quake
              on steam
              • Buy Quake from Steam
              • Download your Engine of choice. (Recommended engines listed below)
              • Install it into the Quake Folder under steam or your chosen steam library: most commonly located at Steam\steamapps\common\Quake
              • It is successfully installed when the engine program is sitting in the same directoy alongside your quake.exe and q95.bat
              • To play Quake you will NOT actually run THE Quake on your steam list, but rather run the engine you installed - See below.

Recommended Engines:
              • The Darkplaces Engine - This will give you a higher quality experience for high end PCs, bringing Quake's graphics slightly more in-line with modern gaming.
                Verdict: If you like eye-candy this is the way to go.
              • The ProQuake4 Engine - This will give you a more classic experience, more in-line with how original quake was, without any of the bugs or compatablity problems that come from the old versions.
                Verdict: If you are an oldschool Quaker and want to focus on the online game itself, this is the way to go.

Other Engines:

Running Quake FROM Steam
              With the Steam Overlay and other features enabled
              1. Go to your Steam Library, at the bottom corner of the window you will see an "+ ADD A GAME" link. Open that.
              2. Open the Add a Non-Steam Game... dialogue that pops up.
              3. Click the browse button and locate the Engine program file you downloaded. Select it and click Open.
              4. Click Add Selected Programs
              5. The program should be on your Steam Library list. Right Click it, go to Properties.
              6. The name of the program will display at the top. You can change that to whatever you want your Steam Friends to see as the game you are playing. It is recommended you use something recognizable like Quake: Darkplaces Engine or Quake: Proquake but it is entirely up to you.

Optional - Set up your Desktop Icon: Right click on the engine in your steam library, click Create Desktop Shortcut. Now you are able to play the game, in the right engine, with the Steam Overlay enabled, straight from your desktop.

Playing MODS
              With the Steam Overlay and other features enabled
              (Note: This process is often unnecessary in the Darkplaces engine thanks to the mods menu feature it provides, but these steps are provided regardless, especially for users of other engines.)
              1. Install the mod into your Quake Folder. If the unzipping worked properly you should see a new folder inside your Quake Folder, for example: Steam\steamapps\common\Quake\ARENA or FORTRESS or whatever the mod you wanted to install was.
              2. Repeat the steps above for adding a non-steam game to the Steam Library. Right click on the created item on your Steam List and go to Proprieties.
              3. In the TARGET box you will see the game in quotes. Outside of those quotes, add -game Fortress or -game Fortress or whatever the folder name of the mod you are attempting to play as. This will prompt the engine to use the mod instead of default quake, which is the ID1 folder.

Common Problems
              With the Steam Version

It works! ... but I can't connect to any servers!
              1. Make sure windows firewall isn't blocking your ports or the engine EXE from internet access.
              2. Make sure your router's firewall isn't blocking your ports or the engine EXE from internet access.

Steam says Quake is installed, but don't see the folder under common!
              Did it get installed to a steam library instead? Every drive on your computer can have it's own steam library. Sometimes people accidently install to another drive and not realize it. If so it could be under SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Quake on a separate drive!

Q & A
              Question and Answer (you can skip this)

Q: Why the steam version?
              A: Once you buy a game on steam it is bound to your account. No matter what computer you log onto, it will have your copy ready to download legally. Once you accept this cloud-based distribution your days of rummaging around for the disc or downloading it illegally because you know you own it but you can't find it are gone for good.

Q: Why buy Quake? Arn't there free alternative packages that let me play online?
              A: Once purchased on steam you will legally own the product, you can take pride in the fact that you now own a copy of one of the greatest games ever made. Furthermore although ID Software is not continuing Quake One, it's right they get paid for the product they created.

Q: Steam uses too many system resources! It's a piece of crap.
              A: (Warning, argumentative reply coming)
              Point 1: Most modern (from the last few years) PCs won't flinch even a bit at the meager resource usage of base steam. For a vast majority of people, it's not an issue placing you in the minority.
              Point 2: That's a personal opinion. It works flawlessly for a number of gamers FAR outweighing this small community, so it's very possible the problem is with you or an experience unique to you. If you are referring to the pisspoor outdated versions it comes with... it's still better than the old CD version of quake, a least the steam version runs on Windows 7 and up without any extra downloads! (I'm looking at you WINQUAKE).

Q: I {love/hate} you for this post and want to {play with you/cuss you out} you {nice person/steam loving asshat}. PLUS PARTS OF IT ARE WRRONG!
              You can catch me on my website or on steam. Present me with additional info or corrections, I'll strive to keep this post as accurate as possible.

Comment

Great job... Thanks!

Best guide ever about Steam (and also nice and clean)!

Comment

http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-hel...tructions.html , Should I replace the information inside my initial post ~ with this posts instruction set? like

Originally posted by Zaric
                  Quoting Zaric's entire Steam instructions post . com
                  Just give the order!
                  Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                    http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-hel...tructions.html , Should I replace the information inside my initial post ~ with this posts instruction set? like

Just give the order!
                    Ooops. Didn't see that there. Yeah either copy the whole thing into yours or transfer the whole post over to the proper board. I'm still a noob here.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaric View Post
                      Ooops. Didn't see that there. Yeah either copy the whole thing into yours or transfer the whole post over to the proper board. I'm still a noob here.
                      NP, we all start somewhere. You're instructions are nicely laid out, but I was over whelmed by it and didn't read all of them, I barely use Steam so I 100% was winging it from what I presumed would be correct procedure HEH...

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                        NP, we all start somewhere. You're instructions are nicely laid out, but I was over whelmed by it and didn't read all of them, I barely use Steam so I 100% was winging it from what I presumed would be correct procedure HEH...
                        Yeah, there's no reason to read these at all if you don't use steam. Also once you install Quake from steam there's nothing stopping you from grabbing your own engine and running it as you please. Which is great!

My instructions are to allow you to take full advantage of the features steam has to offer, which is why the instructions are so extensive. Once your engine is launched through steam you can take advantage of the SHIFT+TAB steam overlay, take steam hosted screenshots, and steam chat all in-game without any need to run it in window or alt-tab it.

Come to think of it I run games with 3 overlay concepts: Steam, Xsplit (for video recording/livestreaming, and Mumble (for online voice chat).

Comment

Sorry for bumping an old thread but i have the original quake CD and i was wondering if Icould install quake to the steam directory for dissolution of eternity.
                          I am like a stray dog, lost in between what I do and what I should do.
                          But sometimes, all you need is Imagination.

Comment

Here comes a late reply, but yes you can.
                            You just need to copy the id1 folder from your CD and the base game for quake1 is in there. What is missing is only an executable file, which you can freely use fitzquake, darkplaces, or whatever other engine that pleases you the most.

Comment

Working...
                            X