Threewave CTF servers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threewave CTF servers?

Just came across this site, very well done I might add. Glad to see people still playing. I was wondering if there were any 3wave CTF servers still operating? I havent played it since '98 so if anyone can bring me up to speed Id be greatly appreciative. Ill give ya a plug on my radio show this sunday for all my FPS listeners who got into gaming, like me, because of Quake.

The best one, which is listed in the server browser block, is ctf.clanhdz.com

There are 2 other ones, quake.intertex.net:26666 and crctf.clan-rum.org, that I am aware of.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Oops, I missed that other part ... the getting up to speed part ...

There is this Getting Up To Speed Guide written last year (and is already getting out of date).

On the Quake side of things, most players use ProQuake, which is a barely changed version of GLQuake and is very old school. An increasingly large % use JoeQuake, QRack or DarkPlaces for multiplayer, which vary in features but all have special features built into the client and enhanced graphics.

JoeQuake Name Maker

Another JoeQuake Screenshot

A QRack Shot

Another QRack Screenshot

DarkPlaces

There are also a lot of players playing QuakeWorld, in Europe that community is remarkably large, although this site has more of a focus on "NetQuake" (regular Quake).

QuakeWorld client EZQuake, which has a built-in server browser.

Quake has advanced in graphical capabilities quite a bit since 1996, although not everyone plays it like that.

Hopefully that helps give you an idea about how Quake has changed.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I remember the difference between QW and NQ, Im feeling old lol.
        Does it matter which version one uses to play multiplayer? I mean, do we all connect to the same server if we are using different versions of the game?

Comment

Originally posted by Emperor
          I remember the difference between QW and NQ, Im feeling old lol.
          Does it matter which version one uses to play multiplayer? I mean, do we all connect to the same server if we are using different versions of the game?
          Quake and QuakeWorld use different protocols and have differences in physics. Quake as shipped in 1996 was more meant for LAN play and wasn't so good for dialup, of course that didn't stop people from playing it over the internet.

QuakeWorld, I think, came out later in 1996 and had "prediction" built into it and worked a lot better over dialup.

Quake clients can't connect to QuakeWorld servers, QuakeWorld clients can't connect to Quake servers (although some 2 clients have some basic support for connecting to both, but both are in early stages of support.)

Both Quake and QuakeWorld are played over the internet and more or less are separate communities, but it seems like less so today than a few years ago. QuakeWorld players refer to regular Quake for multiplayer as "NetQuake", although that phrase isn't used in our community and some of the players wouldn't know what that term means.

At this site, we are more of a "NetQuake" (original Quake) community but we have a significant number of QuakeWorld players here too. For example, all the servers listed in the servers block are Quake servers, not QuakeWorld.

(The main differences between Quake and QuakeWorld, QuakeWorld has "prediction" and the physics permit easy "bunnyhopping" where strafing while jumping can increase speed rapidly --- possibly an unintended feature in QuakeWorld. Prediction causes rockets to be shot "in advance" and looks a little awkward on-screen and sometimes makes it so you can get shot by a rocket and never get to see it be fired, per se. QuakeWorld players like those characteristics of the game, whereas a NetQuake player finds those awkward, basically.)

And that's my attempt to explain the differences as best I can. Kind of difficult to describe, except that they are different clients ... although it looks like they will merge in the future based on trends.
          Last edited by Baker; 06-16-2006, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Ok here's an issue Im having. Ive downloaded the PRO, JOE and Sharewear Quake as well as the 3wave and installed them all. Problem is, each time I try to connect to a server, it says "can't find maps/ctf8.bsp and I know I have the maps. I even put the same maps in both 3wave and id map folders. Any ideas? I also remember when I did play CTF back in the day, it was a blue backround with crossed flags, where as this looks like the normal quake backround when you start the game.

If it helps to tell me in real time, im on AIM at Emp1G for anyone who can help.

Comment

You need registered Quake to play on every server EXCEPT xctf.clan-rum.org, which is the single shareware compatible server.

Registered Quake isn't free, and while there are numerous sites that actually have full registered Quake downloads, it isn't legal and our moderation policy is against any of those links being posted on this board.

Within 2-4 weeks, there will be a legal FreeQuake package and a greater variety of servers supporting, but that project isn't complete.

So basically, xctf.clan-rum.org is the only server shareware can connect to presently.

Comment

Acutally I have the old CD. Problem is, I cant install it on my PC as I beleive it requires dos. Whichm, I dont have

Comment

I have the old CD as well. It still installs on WinXP, you just can't run the DOS engine, so download another engine. Or you could just copy the pak0.pak and pak1.pak off the CD.

Comment

Working...
                  X