Quakespasm bugs and suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quakespasm bugs and suggestions

Quakespasm is officially my most preferred engine now, but it's not perfect just yet:

suggestions
    -
    option to enable bloom
    option to disable transparent water via menu
    option to disable crosshair via menu
    optional lighting gun beam dynamic lighting (like directQ)
    optional shalrath, scrag and death knight projectile dynamic lighting
    adjustable particle transparency & density via menu
    adjustable liquid transparency via menu
    selectable individual liquid transparency (r_telealpha, r_lavaalpha etc)
    defaulting to 44khz sound mode

bugs
    -
    teleport textures are transparent
    e2m3 nail trap doesn't work
    with 'r_novis 1', explosion sprites don't appear underwater
    water in Malice is not see-through anymore
    Last edited by Ranger; 08-15-2014, 11:24 AM.

That's a lot to ask from an engine designed to be mostly faithful. Dynamic lighting is a big task I'd imagine.

For crosshair, type 'crosshair 0' in console.

The water is opaque by default on my computer. I'm sure there's a cvar for that, in fact I'm positive. Don't remember it though.

The teleport in E4M7 is always black, even back in winquake, because you aren't allowed to have two different liquid brushes in the same space, so they simply used a solid black brush.

One bug I noticed though is falling objects (shell casings for example) make the water splash noise if they are ejected too close to a wall, I think the engine interprets their velocity through the wall or something. That's for mods though, can't think of any falling objects like this I'm normal quake.
    'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Instead of having an option for enabling/disabling transparent water, a slider for water opacity would make more sense (with "1" being opaque and anything lower transparent).

Anyway, r_wateralpha <value> is what you would wanna type into the console for setting water transparency.
      Authentic Models Pack
      OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
      LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

I myself had problems with transparent teleporters with InTheShadows mod but found that it was a problem with protocol 666 and Nehara support for alpha entities. Doubt quakespasm would have same prob but well who knows.

Qrack does support large maps like QS etc
        Etc but doesnt have a 'proper' Linux build

QS is a faithful looking engine so u are not going to see elaborate particle effects or other fluffy pillows
        www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Who's the author of QS?

Comment

You can find the contact details in the readme text.
            Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

fluffy pillows haha, love it!
              Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

suggestions
                -
                anisotropic filter option via menu
                point sampling filter option (for classic 'blocky texture' quake look) via menu
                option to enable vertex lighting

bugs
                -
                water surface is bugged; has visible gaps on the surface
                Last edited by Ranger; 08-15-2014, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Quakespasm rules!
                  Life is Grand!

Comment

AA has modded his own QS for multiplayer! I hear it owns but... never seen it.

WELCOME back Armor!
                    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

I see that QS was developed by Kristian Duske and John Fitzgibbons;
                      where can I contact them & what are their usernames?

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger View Post
                        I see that QS was developed by Kristian Duske and John Fitzgibbons;
                        where can I contact them & what are their usernames?
                        Actually I believe they developed FitzQuake which Quakespasm is heavily based on. Tho it is possible they also helped with this development. Dunno. But here is the contact info.

Kristian Duske
                        [email protected]
                        Fitzquake SDL Port

John Fitzgibbons
                        [email protected]
                        celephais.net

Cheers.

Comment

Is there a forum where they can be found for contact(instead of email)?

Comment

Ask and ye shall receive! BINGO

Specifically this forum topic here.

Comment

I absolutely swear by this engine. I've spent A LOT of time modding specifically for it. It's great.

Here are 3 bugs I know of though:

1) self.punchangles that use a combination of x and y axes (diagnoal punchangles) are very shaky and often do not reset to a true center of the screen.

2) Angle adjustment of the player's viewpoint through forced fixangle code steps in increments of one, making for jerky angle adjustment (such as a spinning deathcam around the player's corpse). This can be rectified by adjusting think times, but severely limits how slow a deathcam can spin. I might add this is through chase_active, and not a byte message.

3) Not so much a bug, but it would be nice to cvar disable the stair step and ramp smoothing of the player's viewpoint, in order to spawn non-viewweapon muzzleflash entities correctly (I had to trial and error a bunch of code to smooth out origin location to coincide with the weapon's muzzle for the flash when the player steps up a staircase or steep ramp).

This engine is great, my dinosaur PC loves it and the fact that it supports huge limits but still looks old school is awesome, much like FTE's latest classic look. Keep it up.
                              'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Working...
                              X