Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• darkplaces 64bit screenshot issue

Hey all,

I am running win 7 with darkplaces64 bit 20140513.

I have run into a strange issue where the in-game-screen shots are winding up in unexpected places.

Recently, they switched from my c drive to my D drive!

Specifically: D/Users/me/mydocuments/mygames/Darkplaces/ID1/screenshots.

So... My questions really is, how can I instruct or set the default location? Is it as simple as moving a folder, or is there a setting I have missed?

Thanks!
    Nekkid

in the bat file add something like -userdir ***
    the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

-nohome
      all files will now be read/written to your quake dir instead of random locations on your harddrive.
      Some Game Thing

Comment

.bat file? do you mean the .cfg file in ID1?

Should I add a line of either -nohome or -usedir c:/diddlysquat?

Just need a bit more guidance.

thanks
        Nekkid

Comment

How do you start Dark Places? .bat file, clicking on the .exe or a shortcut?
          Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

I have created a short cut to the .exe
            Nekkid

Comment

Right click on the shortcut and choose edit(I think, may be properties). Where it says "target", place the cursor there at the end, and press the spacebar, then type -nohome and click ok to accept the changes. That should do it. Start as usual.

An example would be Target: "C:\Quake\Darkplaces.exe" -nohome
              Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

damage, thank you, that certainly remedied the issue. The screen shots now go to the ID1 folder where the exe I am using lives. I had to go hunt down my .cfg file from the goofy directory DP created on my D drive...but all is good now. (BOY, that SPACE between .exe" -nohome is vital!)

NOW, in the vein of teaching a man to fish...

WHY did DP change the default (target?) location to such an odd location on my drive? I have been using that 64 bit version a month or more...no issues like that. Seems like there is more I need to learn here.

Thanks again!!!
                Nekkid

Comment

Did "something" change your default user location(/HOMEDIR:pathname) in your Win7 setup? Are there any other programs now using "D/Users/me/... " to save files to?

Either way, glad it works for you now

Comment

in my opinion no game should be writing to folders outside its own. bad bad imo
                    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

QN, the engine just reads whatever windows reports your home directory as. if you change your windows profile's (aka: home) directory, then you'll also change the 'safe' location to write to.

mindzy, the issue there is really how you define its own. quite often, the directory that quake is run from is read-only, and cannot be written to. other times, windows redirects all those writes to your home/profile directory anyway. or you run it as an administrator once and everything gets confused with conflicting versions of everything. at least when the engine does it directly, you don't have to explain things in terms of how windows fucks things up for you. You can just say 'use the path command, that's where your stuff is stored'. What's also nice is that you can also say 'delete this directory and have everything reset to factory presets', assuming it came out of a factory.
                      What's less good is that if you copy your quake dir from one machine to another, users commonly forget about the extra path and lose their saved games/demos/screenshots/etc. meh, you can't have everything.
                      Some Game Thing

Comment

Working...
                      X