Does DirectQ 2.0 exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does DirectQ 2.0 exist?

I've seen a few posts and even a video referencing the existence of DirectQ 2.0, but couldn't find anything past 1.9.0 on quaddicted or anywhere else on the web. So whats up with that? Was it just some kind of beta that never saw public release? I'd love to get my hands on it if anyone still has it.

Regarding DirectQ 1.9.0, is there any way to make 320x240 work? I need my pixels, and 640x480 just ain't cutting it.

It's something about particle effects, escpecially the blood that looks way better in that resolution. Things in the distance get beautifully distorted, blowing up tiny red blood particles to seemingly huge size. Now the normal sized particles on less pixely resolutions just feel underwhelming.

No. DirectQ 1.9.2 is the final version

DirectQ II is a quake 2 engine
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-hel...ollection.html
      http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-hel...tml#post133921

The way they talk about DirectQ 2.0 and the fact that this is a Quake One forum lead me to believe otherwise. As far as I know the Quake 2 version is called "DirectQ II" instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vii2Be-PA6s

No idea how legit that video is, but it would just be a weird thing to fake...

And where did you get 1.9.2? The latest thing I can find on quaddicted is 1.9.0.

Comment

my info was based on this

Comment

I have no idea how legitimate this is - download at your own risk.

Quake 1 DirectQ engine (1996/1997) [En] Repack ATTACUE | ?????? ?????? ???? ?? ????? ?????? OnlySoft.info

Comment

I have version 2.1 of the DirectQ engine. I think it's an upgrade to dx11 yet it does compile and run, sometimes it crashes...

I see if i can compile you a build and/or just link the zip to the source.

@boris yes i know what you mean. The first time I played Quake in 96 i thought the teleporters were displaying a static animation, static meaning like on a TeleVision on channel 1.
            fire up Quake at 320x200 load up the start map and just look forward.
            www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

@R00k

Thout would be great, looking forward to it!

@MadGypsy

Seems kinda sketchy, the file is not a standalone exe like all other versions of directq, but rather wants me to install something. Thanks for the link, but Ill check out R00ks version first.

Comment

Originally posted by boristhesp1der View Post
                Seems kinda sketchy
                You could check it in a sandbox, just to be on the safe side.
                ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
                ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

That's why I said to download at your own risk. I wouldn't have downloaded that file. It was simply the only result I could find. The fact that it's 800mb is sketchy. I think it's supposed to be all directQ's zipped or something but, I don't read russian and honestly have no clue what that file is supposed to be. That's why I posted a screen of the page. That way you could get a heads up before you even go to the site.

Comment

DirectQ II was a Quake 2 engine, purely for experimental work and to distract me at a time I was feeling burned out.

DirectQ 2.0 was a port of the old DirectQ to Direct3D 11. Part of the motivation was to use new API features, part of the motivation was to avail of faster draw calls in D3D11, part of the motivation was to have an excuse for not supporting crappy older hardware.

DirectQ 2.0 no longer exists. I probably still have the most recent version of the code somewhere, but I have no idea where. In the end it collapsed under it's own weight. I had privately circulated the code at various stages of development to some others which is where any (non-fake) versions you might find come from. It's OK to use them, but just be aware that it's unstable, unfinished code.

Where DirectQ went wrong was that it was being pulled in too many different directions, real-life stuff blew up, and I just didn't have the time any more. Also, certain (what I perceive as) toxic elements in the community left me with a bad taste and I no longer wanted to be involved in any way.

To a certain extent much of that still is the case.

The old DirectQ II no longer exists. DirectQIIRedux does exist but it's not publicly released and unlikely to ever be.
                    IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well, I'm sure I speak for many in saying a big thank you for all of your efforts MH, and its good to see that you are still around. DirectQ showed real promise IMHO, it had a good look and feel and performed well. it was just a pity that at the time I didn't have the hardware to get the best from it Hopefully the real life things have settled down and one day you might consider doing something equally cool for us poor Quake One'ers in the future DirectQ1x Maybe (jk)

Kind regards

Monty
                      Mr.Burns
                      "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                      WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                      Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

I'm Second-ing Mr. Burns sentiment. I am very glad to see you are alive and as well as can be.

I loved the work you did with DirectQ, and was saddened to see you disappear for so long. It was really cool being able to play Quake on my netbook natively in winXP and still looking and feeling like the original engine.

Comment

Originally posted by kkaden View Post
                          I'm Second-ing Mr. Burns sentiment. I am very glad to see you are alive and as well as can be.

I loved the work you did with DirectQ, and was saddened to see you disappear for so long. It was really cool being able to play Quake on my netbook natively in winXP and still looking and feeling like the original engine.
                          You still can ...

Mark V - Quake Engine

Specifically for your XP netbook ... http://quakeone.com/markv/mark_v_direct3d.zip (Direct3D version that runs on any hardware Windows XP or higher).

Consequently, mh has written a brand new Direct3D 9 renderer for Mark V which is being integrated into the Mark V project:

Func_Msgboard: Mark V - Release 1.00
                          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

uhhh
                            Yes it does fuckin exist

DirectQ 2.0 = DX11 variant of DirectQ , it became the pinnacle of DirectQ's imo....
                            I'm uploading entire DirectQ collection, agaaaaaaaaaaaain....

Won't everyone here in this thread, wanting to get a copy of MH's near-speed-of-light Q client, do the favor of Re-uploading once you succeed at downloading the whole thing, it was be very appreciated. Anyone who can re-up and post a link here it would be appreciated.

I have faith
                            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by MH View Post
                              DirectQ II was a Quake 2 engine, purely for experimental work and to distract me at a time I was feeling burned out.

DirectQ 2.0 was a port of the old DirectQ to Direct3D 11. Part of the motivation was to use new API features, part of the motivation was to avail of faster draw calls in D3D11, part of the motivation was to have an excuse for not supporting crappy older hardware.

DirectQ 2.0 no longer exists. I probably still have the most recent version of the code somewhere, but I have no idea where. In the end it collapsed under it's own weight. I had privately circulated the code at various stages of development to some others which is where any (non-fake) versions you might find come from. It's OK to use them, but just be aware that it's unstable, unfinished code.

Where DirectQ went wrong was that it was being pulled in too many different directions, real-life stuff blew up, and I just didn't have the time any more. Also, certain (what I perceive as) toxic elements in the community left me with a bad taste and I no longer wanted to be involved in any way.

To a certain extent much of that still is the case.

The old DirectQ II no longer exists. DirectQIIRedux does exist but it's not publicly released and unlikely to ever be.

Rest assured I have every, single, flippin .EXE you ever sent me to test buddy. You're a hero, and I can not wait until the day u have more stuff i can test out ^_^ none of them are fake either. I know u remember me pestering you once every 1-3 weeks for something to test.
                              Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Working...
                              X