Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DarkPlaces/macOS Sierra: launching missions packs

Hello,
    Do you know how to launch the missions packs with DarkPlaces/macOS Sierra? When I browse mods from the options menu, it shows me my apps in my Applications folder (!).
    Another minor issue: the game does not recognize the numbers keys. I have to bind the weapons to other keys (same with ioQuake3/Quake 3 btw).
    Any idea? Thank you for your help.
    Regards.

Hello doomgranpa,

Please follow this link to find a quick and easy solution.

If you want, you can also read this post for more information about loading mission packs or mods in general.

Best wishes,
    Seven

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
      Hello doomgranpa,

Please follow this link to find a quick and easy solution.

If you want, you can also read this post for more information about loading mission packs or mods in general.

Best wishes,
      Seven
      I already know those threads and they are not helpful since I run macOS. I've tried everything before posting my question.

Regards.
      Last edited by doomgranpa; 01-13-2017, 05:35 PM.

Comment

from DarkPlaces author

This is what the DarkPlaces author emailed to me (I guess he's the author. I have contacted the email in the readme given with the app):

"Alternatively if you feel handy with a text editor, you can make a couple copies of the DarkPlaces.app and rename them, then edit the darkplaces-osx-sdl script inside them (specifically it's a bash
        script named DarkPlaces.app/Contents/MacOS/darkplaces-osx-sdl) to add options to the darkplaces-osx-sdl-bin commandline:
        -hipnotic (to play Scourge of Armagon)
        -rogue (to play Dissolution of Eternity)"

But this file is a mess. Which line I must add option to? I would appreciate some help. Being unable to play the MPs make me sad/mad.

Thank you.

Comment

if you feel handy with a [strike]text[/strike] HEX editor.

I don't have a mac and have never used one. I can't really help you beyond this. On the far left are addresses. If I'm in the correct spot (highly likely) get a hex editor, go to that address range and then ask somebody that knows more what you should be putting there....or figure it out. I got you in the pocket.

Note that lots of files like this rely on offset and length values to determine where a section begins and ends. Changing this file may be more complicated than simply adding some text and saving it.

Also note those "periods" are NUL (00)
          Last edited by MadGypsy; 01-13-2017, 08:27 PM.
          http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

If you just want it to work ...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/quakespasm/
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by doomgranpa View Post
              This is what the DarkPlaces author emailed to me (I guess he's the author. I have contacted the email in the readme given with the app):

"Alternatively if you feel handy with a text editor, you can make a couple copies of the DarkPlaces.app and rename them, then edit the darkplaces-osx-sdl script inside them (specifically it's a bash
              script named DarkPlaces.app/Contents/MacOS/darkplaces-osx-sdl) to add options to the darkplaces-osx-sdl-bin commandline:
              -hipnotic (to play Scourge of Armagon)
              -rogue (to play Dissolution of Eternity)"

But this file is a mess. Which line I must add option to? I would appreciate some help. Being unable to play the MPs make me sad/mad.

Thank you.
              Hello doomgranpa,

First of all, you didnt mention Forest Hale´s first advice.
              You only pasted his second advice beginning with:
              Alternatively if you feel handy with a text editor, ...

What was his first advice ?

Now back to Forest Hale´s script editing solution:
              You should of course not edit the darkplaces-osx-sdl-bin file.
              He wrote that you should edit the darkplaces-osx-sdl script !
              It is a bash script, just as he mentioned.
              Please add your mission pack option in there.

Create 2 copies of the DarkPlaces.app folder. Rename them to DarkPlaces.app_hipnotic and DarkPlaces.app_Rogue. Edit the bash scripts accordingly as he mentioned.

Now, if you want to play mission pack 1, rename the original DarkPlaces.app into DarkPlaces.app_original and name the one you edit for hipnotic to DarkPlaces.app. Because this folder is the only one used by the engine. It will then follow/load your extended script and run the mission pack.

The file darkplaces-osx-sdl-bin supports all mission packs and mods. You do not need to edit it.

If you still have trouble running it, you can contact Forest for further assistance. Or use his 1st advice, whatever that was.

Of course you are free to use another Quake engine with more convinient mod support for MacOS just like Baker mentioned.

Good luck,
              Seven

Comment

woops

But hey, I'm on a roll. I'm 2 for 2 on terrible Mac help...lol.
                Last edited by MadGypsy; 01-14-2017, 06:22 AM.

Comment

But this file is a mess. Which line I must add option to?

replace every $@ with your new commandline, I'd keep the quotes.
                  Last edited by MadGypsy; 01-14-2017, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                    Hello doomgranpa,

Now back to Forest Hale´s script editing solution:
                    You should of course not edit the darkplaces-osx-sdl-bin file.
                    He wrote that you should edit the darkplaces-osx-sdl script !
                    It is a bash script, just as he mentioned.
                    Please add your mission pack option in there.

Create 2 copies of the DarkPlaces.app folder. Rename them to DarkPlaces.app_hipnotic and DarkPlaces.app_Rogue. Edit the bash scripts accordingly as he mentioned.

Now, if you want to play mission pack 1, rename the original DarkPlaces.app into DarkPlaces.app_original and name the one you edit for hipnotic to DarkPlaces.app. Because this folder is the only one used by the engine. It will then follow/load your extended script and run the mission pack.

The file darkplaces-osx-sdl-bin supports all mission packs and mods. You do not need to edit it.

If you still have trouble running it, you can contact Forest for further assistance. Or use his 1st advice, whatever that was.

Of course you are free to use another Quake engine with more convinient mod support for MacOS just like Baker mentioned.

Good luck,
                    Seven
                    Thank you, It makes more sense. The darkplaces-osx-sdl script file is more clear (only 10 lines)... but I still don't know where to add the line -hipnotic or -rogue (yes I suck at editing). I have tried randomly with no success (no sh1t).
                    Forest does no longer answer to me. I guess he has a life. His first advice was to browse mods from the options menu, which do not work.
                    Last edited by doomgranpa; 01-14-2017, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                      If you just want it to work ...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/quakespasm/
                      Thank you.
                      I have tested it a couple of minutes: no crosshair options?
                      The music is in my id1>music folder, as stated in the readme, but it does not play while in game.
                      And I'm trying to think that I'm a complete idiot since I still can't manage to launch the MPs (however I think the files are in the right folders). Command line is definitely not my friend.

Regards.

Comment

@but I still don't know where to add the line -hipnotic or -rogue

Maybe a visual of exactly what I just said will help you.

BLUE = where it goes

and your response from whomever you contacted said ADD to the commandline so... simply add it to the command line

I'm not even sure why you have to do all that. Why can't you just make a bash

exec darkplaces -rogue

I'm not super familiar with bash but I am super familiar with bat and they are very similar
                        "$@" <- this just means "the whole command line"

so, if you exec "$@" -rogue

how is that any different than the below in your own bash?

exec darkplaces -rogue

Wouldn't it still hit the osx-sdl bash and "$@" would now be the value of your exec commandline

Isn't it a little silly to make multiple copies of darkplaces just to run a couple of mods? Why can't you just make a couple of bash scripts that target the same DP differently? The answer is "of course you can" but, for some reason this is not what you are being told to do.

I could make a bat for every game that DP supports and run it all off of one instance of DP. Am I to believe Mac can't do this? I could make 1 bat with a choice prompt for every game DP supports and load any of those games based on the number I choose. Mac can't do this? I could write a bat that asks a number of questions and concats a commandline based on your answers and then runs the final commandline when the questions are done? Mac can't do that? I'm not really asking cause, of course it can. Why the fuck are the instructions to make multiple copies of DP and change internal files...to run mods? How fuckin stupid is that? Very!

It's like having a pizza where each piece has different ingredients and instead of reaching for the slice you want you are expected to buy a whole nother pizza AND put the ingredients on yourself.
                        Last edited by MadGypsy; 01-14-2017, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by doomgranpa View Post
                          no crosshair options?
                          Of course there is, though not as fancy as DP and not set via the menu. It's actually the old, white "+" crosshair of vanilla Quake. Add crosshair "1" to your config.cfg, and if it's too small for your screen resolution you can try scr_crosshairscale "2" or higher.
                          ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
                          ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
                            @but I still don't know where to add the line -hipnotic or -rogue

Maybe a visual of exactly what I just said will help you.
                            I'm not even sure why you have to do all that. Why can't you just make a bash

exec darkplaces -rogue

I'm not super familiar with bash but I am super familiar with bat and they are very similar
                            "$@" <- this just means "the whole command line"

so, if you exec "$@" -rogue

how is that any different than the below in your own bash?

exec darkplaces -rogue

Wouldn't it still hit the osx-sdl bash and "$@" would now be the value of your exec commandline

Isn't it a little silly to make multiple copies of darkplaces just to run a couple of mods? Why can't you just make a couple of bash scripts that target the same DP differently? The answer is "of course you can" but, for some reason this is not what you are being told to do.

I could make a bat for every game that DP supports and run it all off of one instance of DP. Am I to believe Mac can't do this? I could make 1 bat with a choice prompt for every game DP supports and load any of those games based on the number I choose. Mac can't do this? I could write a bat that asks a number of questions and concats a commandline based on your answers and then runs the final commandline when the questions are done? Mac can't do that? I'm not really asking cause, of course it can. Why the fuck are the instructions to make multiple copies of DP and change internal files...to run mods? How fuckin stupid is that? Very!

It's like having a pizza where each piece has different ingredients and instead of reaching for the slice you want you are expected to buy a whole nother pizza AND put the ingredients on yourself.
                            Hello,
                            Thank you very much for your help, I'll give it a try and I'll stay in touch.
                            Like you, at first I thought it was odd to make multiple copies of the same app, but unlike you I don't master the command line.
                            I'll tell you if it works (I don't have time right now).
                            I love the pizza metaphor :-)
                            Regards.

Edit: Ok, I have just tested the solution and... DP still not load the bloody MPs! The file is exactly the same as in your screenshot.
                            Well, I give up, I don't have time every morning to spend hours trying to make the thing working. Anyway, thank you for your help everybody.
                            Regards and have fun.
                            Last edited by doomgranpa; 01-16-2017, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
                              Of course there is, though not as fancy as DP and not set via the menu. It's actually the old, white "+" crosshair of vanilla Quake. Add crosshair "1" to your config.cfg, and if it's too small for your screen resolution you can try scr_crosshairscale "2" or higher.
                              Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X