• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baker
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifex View Post
    Great engine.

However I have tried the regular Mark V executable and seem to have oddly low framerates.

After setting host_maxfps to 400 and sitting in start.bsp, I only get around 180-300 FPS.
    In homage to original GLQuake, start.bsp has a mirror in it!

Unfortunately, the mirror is a double world draw! So yeah, you can disable mirrors with r_mirroralpha 1.

QMB particles are rather inefficient -- especially torches. At some point I may discuss with MH or maybe even R00k if he knows, how to increase the frames per second with QMB.

MH is the master of very fast rendering and he and worked I together (and we had like 15-25 awesome beta-testers including Gunter of the FVF server who has a real eye for detail) to make the Mark V Windows Direct X 9 build --- which is way faster than Open GL.

Perhaps in the round of development, I'll be speeding up the Open GL via optimizations that I know how to do, but I've had my hands busy with Linux builds, laser effects, mirrors, several innovations from MH like volumetric shadows and such.

/Engine work is more tedious than some people would think. Believe me, sometimes its like "Ah, why does this simple task involve so much damn work and require so much time Haha".

So yeah, I hear you!

Also another question about mouse input / direct input. Is direct/raw input enabled by default? Or should -dinput be put in the command line?
    Right now, doesn't support DirectInput. That will change in the spring. That being said, although without DirectInput, Mark V uses more sensible mouse input than standard Quake. But integration of DirectInput/XInput is on the list.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifex
    replied
    Great engine.

However I have tried the regular Mark V executable and seem to have oddly low framerates.

After setting host_maxfps to 400 and sitting in start.bsp, I only get around 180-300 FPS. Oddly any kind of additional particle effects or dynamic lights reduce it further, sometimes below 120 FPS.

The dx9 executable gives me no issues.

Any console commands I can mess with to improve framerate? My first assumption was perhaps r_novis 1 was enabled by default or the reflections were causing issues, but neither of those were the case.

Using a 4790K with GTX 980ti so hopefully my system is not the issue.

Also another question about mouse input / direct input. Is direct/raw input enabled by default? Or should -dinput be put in the command line?

Leave a comment:

• Baker
    replied
    Originally posted by lennox View Post
    Looks promising, I'll have to download it and give it a whirl.
    Thanks, Lennox. Let me know!

This is the first Linux version of the engine, I run Ubuntu Linux LTS 16.04 and I've been told by an awesome beta tester that the binaries run as-is on OpenSUSE.

Although it is the Linux version, it is a very satisfying experience that does 99% of the refinements in the Windows version.

It's nice and rather solid, but I know some things that would make it better and I have additional goals to enhance the experience in the future that time limitations won't let me do for a few months.

Leave a comment:

• lennox
    replied
    Looks promising, I'll have to download it and give it a whirl.

Leave a comment:

• Baker
    started a topic Linux? Irrelevant?

Linux? Irrelevant?

I think Linux is more important than ever in the new world of Windows 10. Anyways...

Mark V Linux Support - Both Open GL builds and WinQuake Version!

Mark V Site | Func_Msgboard thread

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHaCgSHtg4o[/ame]

Mark V is a conservative Quake client with optional particles effects (it's in the preference menu)

Plus:

1. Optional QMB particle effects
    2. Only WinQuake software renderer available for Linux -- Runs everything the GL version can. Has tons of refinement.
    3. Runs everything - Arcane Dimensions, bsp2, Nehahra,
    4. Mirror support

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkqGXiJmoTE[/ame]

5. IPv6 Support
    6. Auto-scaling HUD
    7. Automatic underwater transparency
    8. Installs from Quaddicted/Quake Injector directly (type "install travail" in the console")
    9. The Quake window is resizable in windowed mode --- on Linux as well.

10. r_shadows 3, volumetric shadows available in the GL version, courtesy of MH

11. WinQuake style waterwarp available in the GL version, courtesy of MH

12. ALT-ENTER to toggle fullscreen, copy and paste in the console, dozens of other things.

Dozens upon dozens of other nice things (external texture support using DarkPlaces naming convention) and a huge amount of polish.

... For anyone interested. Also does about everything ProQuake ever did Or that JoeQuake ever did. I'm interact and share ideas/thoughts/code with the Quakespasm authors @func and have for years, so yeah similar feature compared to that engine too.
Working...
X