Mark V - Crashes on certain model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark V - Crashes on certain model

A hard-to-track down bug I've found in MarkV while working on a mod.

Recently I released a couple new player models with increased vertex count and texture size and what have you. They drop right in to QuakeSpasm without any issues whatsoever. (These are the new models here).

The first model works just fine on MarkV, no problems. The second model (the female one) will crash the engine if chase_active is enabled. It dumps me straight to the desktop, no error message on the console or anything.

The only real change (numbers-wise) between the 2 models is the vertex count in the head (the female model has some hair features). So I did some testing, and found that by deleting a few vertices at any location, the model works just fine.

Initial impression is MarkV has a lower vertex limit, but I know this is not the case. I looked at the engine source and also recall Baker giving this number: 3984. This model, in it's entirety, isn't even half of that.

Scanning through the code, I see what looks like limitations within the interpolation calculations, so I turned lerping off. Still crashes.

My next thought was the light calculations on the model. Tried running the model on a map without light compilation, still crashes (I don't know if this really proves anything though).

Since it only crashes when the model is rendered (via chase_active), I'm thinking this a rendering issue and not a hard limit or model file issue. Although the game does seem to lag a bit even with chase_active off.

Any ideas on what's causing this?
    'Replacement Player Models' Project

Did a few more tests, and determined that this certainly is not model specific (didn't really think it was). By adding verts to another model, I was able to crash the engine again.

My ranger model has 1738 frame vertices (as per the MDL file...in reality, there are 1336 vertices in blender, before exporting). This model works fine. My female model has 1934 frame vertices (1511 in blender before export).

Somewhere around the 1800 frame vertices (1350 or so in blender) is where the engine crashes.

Comment

You can find Baker over here on the MarkV thread on func_msgboard
      Func_Msgboard: Mark V - Release 1.00

did you try building the model with no skin? maybe thats causing the issue?
      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
        You can find Baker over here on the MarkV thread on func_msgboard
        Func_Msgboard: Mark V - Release 1.00

did you try building the model with no skin? maybe thats causing the issue?
        Thanks for the link. I always forget that he's over there more than here.

I haven't tried the skin yet. Since the palette and dimensions are the exact same as the working model, it never occured to me...definitely worth a test, though.

Comment

Working...
        X